New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Going to Charlotte, NC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
Old McKlenburg is always fun, very German'esque place.
Yeah, Old Meck also makes good beer, but is definitely more German, and quite Rheinheitsgebot. I prefer the more American style brewing at Noda and Birdsong (and if you're into a drive, there's also Ass Clown up by Lake Norman -- ~30 min or so north of Uptown), but if you dig German style beer, Old Meck is worth a drive or cab ride from uptown.

Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
garbageman
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
Ass Clown up by Lake Norman -- ~30 min or so north of Uptown), but if you dig German style beer, Old Meck is worth a drive or cab ride from uptown.
+1 on Ass Clown. They get crazy and experimental on some beers. Had a sour there not long ago that was great. I think they run tastings just on Saturday.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
HokieBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
Yeah, Old Meck also makes good beer, but is definitely more German, and quite Rheinheitsgebot. I prefer the more American style brewing at Noda and Birdsong (and if you're into a drive, there's also Ass Clown up by Lake Norman -- ~30 min or so north of Uptown), but if you dig German style beer, Old Meck is worth a drive or cab ride from uptown.
Old Meck is awesome. Very balanced, subtle beers. I could drink there all day. Also I went solo while my wife was shopping. The bartenders were very cool and gave me about $20 worth of beer to take with me for free...

Now here's a little something that you might not like. My DJ's name is Mix Master Mike.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:27 AM   #14
QsnotPs
Recipes 

Tonight I went to Taco Mac, absolutely awesome. We sat at a table WITH OUR OWN TAPS! It was only three beers Old Meck Copper, Sweetwater LowRYEder IPA and another Sweetwater. When it comes to food, actually the roasted wings are the best wings I've ever had. F.Y.I. I hold records all over Iowa, including buffalo wild wings, beef o'brady's, the cajun fest, etc. so I know my wings. The nachos were excellent, but if you go, you must get the choco chimi desert, super great.

When it comes to price I expect to pay 5.25 for a pitcher of domestic, here is was 11.38, and no telling what I paid for what I drank, the tab was up there.

Overall, I'm coming back no questions asked, the server was cute and bubbly as can be, tons of tv's, and the channels were very well chosen, the food was out of this world, and above all, 100's of beers on tap, 100's of beer in bottles, beer taps at the table, including locally brewed beer from charlotte, raleigh, and surrounding areas.......A+. If you go to Charlotte, I strongly suggest this restaurant.

Oops, that's not my beer.

Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 AM   #15
pentachris
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

If you're looking for a beer store, I've got to give a plug to Brawley's. Great selection in a small store with a family feel. The owner is extremely knowledgeable, and he respects the beer he sells.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #16
Mikethepoolguy
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 15 Posts

If you liked taco mac then try Duckworths. If you like Brawleys try Mikes.

Someone asked about the convention center. World of Beer is a quick trip on the light rail from there.

I was at Sutton House last night for the first time. A nice selection on the taps and good food.

Try Olde Mecklenburg's 'Rein Pale Ale' while you are in Charlotte. AKA ' mikethepoolguy pale ale' as it is my recipe, brewed by OMB, a pro-am winner and the summer seasonal.

Mac's speed shop has a great beer selection, good food and several locations.

Wahoo Hunter

Old 06-24-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
QsnotPs
Recipes 

Noda and Birdsong were a lot of fun too.
Noda had 26 females, and 12 males...........
I overheard someone at Birdsong saying they are purchasing all new equipment. As of right now they only keg, so maybe they will be bottling soon too.
If you go, eat from the trailer out front, it is two guys who make their own brautwurst, and home cook all their food, and it is excellent. I think they even make their own barbecue sauce, and it's not ketchup based.

Oops, that's not my beer.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #18
flipfloptan
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Bumping this thread. Monday nights Charlotte metro brixxs $1.95 domestic draft night. 21St amendment stone Ipa and dessert Ellie brown ale. All 1.95

Quick Reply