Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > God Help me.... My wife hates beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
Corkster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default God Help me.... My wife hates beer

Ok, so I'm one of those guys who has a wife who has the unfortunate problem of saying often (and vehemently) that she doesn't like beer....

I am totally convinced that the case is not that she does not like beer, she just hasn't found a style that she likes yet.....

She claims that it is the bitterness she hates.... yet she LOVES the smell of fresh hops.....

Problem is... what kind of friggin beer is full of hop aroma yet light on hop bitterness.....

Help me out HBT!! What recipes would you recommend for someone who "doesn't like beer"

I've been leaning toward maybe a Belgian Wit or something......

Give a man a beer and he'll drink for a minute. Teach a man to brew beer and you've created a monster.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The basic winemaking offshoot of basic brewing radio just released a podcast of a dryhopped wine, maybe a wine or mead or sour beer that has been dry hopped would work?

Old 03-06-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Chootalkinbout? It's incredibly easy to adjust the IBU's down and the hop flavor and aroma up. Bittering hops, those added at 60/90 minutes, etc., add bitterness but not much hop flavor. Late hops, those at 15, 10 minutes, add flavor. Around 2 to 0 minutes, that's aroma. You want a low-IBU beer that is really hoppy? Just add very little bittering hops, but add a whole bunch right at the end. Problem solved.

Or just get a new wife.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)
Rainyn Likes This 
Old 03-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Corkster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
Just add very little bittering hops, but add a whole bunch right at the end. Problem solved.

Or just get a new wife.
I had been wondering about doing this very thing but was concerned with losing the antiseptic properties of the hops..... I suppose of course if everything is sanitized I'd still be ok though......

hmmm.... maybe you're right... a new wife might be easier!

Give a man a beer and he'll drink for a minute. Teach a man to brew beer and you've created a monster.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Corkster
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1v1116 View Post
The basic winemaking offshoot of basic brewing radio just released a podcast of a dryhopped wine, maybe a wine or mead or sour beer that has been dry hopped would work?
so just do the whole boil and no hops until the secondary....... interesting idea!

thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkster View Post
I had been wondering about doing this very thing but was concerned with losing the antiseptic properties of the hops..... I suppose of course if everything is sanitized I'd still be ok though......

hmmm.... maybe you're right... a new wife might be easier!
Dude, it's all about balance. Okay, your wife hates the bitterness. So just make a really malty beer. Try a scottish style. They're all malt. Yes, there's some bittering hops, enough for "antiseptic" properties (and look, to be honest, you're not shipping the crap to the east indies, dude. The alcohol is plenty to ward off nasties as long as your sanitation regime is sound). But it's a very malty beer, and your wife, she might love it. Who knows.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #7
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Maybe your wife really doesn't like beer. My wife hates it. She doesn't drink it which leaves more for me.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 125 Posts

So, make a Pale Ale at the low-end of the style (4%/20 IBU) and dry hop it.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #9
ftlstrings
Recipes 

Hazaaaaah!!!

~M~

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Old 03-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Corkster
Recipes 

some great ideas guys... thanks!

Quick Reply