Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Glassware

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
El_Borracho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Glassware

Hi folks.. I've noticed a lot of you have some really nice glasses for your beer. I started doing a search and found this on BA: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/101/glassware.php

I have pint glasses that have ridges on the inside of them, so lately I've opted for a large smooth glass I have it's like a pint glass shape but about 50% bigger.

I'm the only beer drinker in my home, I have one friend who appreciates a good brew. Most everyone else only drinks Bud Light or Miller Light or when they feel fancy some Corona - blech.

I would like a pair of glasses of the most commonly used glasses, can you guys suggest what I would need..

I'm really hoping someone can point out a place that actually sells a set, or various sets?

5 gallon [US, liquid] = 640 ounce [US, liquid]

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #2
Whiskey
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Check locally, you may find good beer glass. Or you can check online, but I've found they charge way too much for glasses.

Pretty much all you will need is a couple of Nonic's (the ale glasses with the bulge at the top 2/3 of the glass). Or a couple of "American pint" glasses, or both.

I've bought mine at World Market mostly due to the fact that they had Imperial Pint (20 oz) Nonik glasses, and Dead Guy Ale American pints.

There is another issue, are you drinking from 12oz bottles or 22? If you use primarily 12 oz bottles look for the 12oz glasses.

If you want to get real hard core you can honestly get a "proper" style of glass for every beer style you can imagine, from Weizen glasses, to tulips for pilzner, to chalices for Belgium's.

Anyways here is a decent online store, but I'm sure you should be able to find the style you want locally for a lot cheaper.

http://www.truebeer.com/Nonik-Glass-12-oz_p_0-297.html

Good luck.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:23 PM   #3
BigNick73
Recipes 

I don't really know the difference in types of glasses but I got some Weizen glasses that hold about 20oz at the local Dollar Tree. Saw the same ones online for $4-$5 a pop.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I've been converting all the glassware in our house to standard American pint glasses, since they can be stacked and take up less space in the cabinets. I also bought some goblets at Target for when I want to concentrate the aromas a bit more, like on a Belgian or a nice IPA. My favorite glasses, though, are some cute little (10 ounce, half pint) Samual Smith pub glasses, with the bulge. Just means that I have to fill a little more often!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know it's not exactly "correct", but I use belgian goblets (Lucifer, Club-footed) for pretty much everything. I have some taller, more slender, stemmed glasses from Unibroue that I use sometimes as well, but I really just love how the goblets concentrate the nose.

I get mine from globalbeer. They have an awesome selection.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-30-2007, 06:50 PM   #6
El_Borracho
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
I've been converting all the glassware in our house to standard American pint glasses, since they can be stacked and take up less space in the cabinets. I also bought some goblets at Target for when I want to concentrate the aromas a bit more, like on a Belgian or a nice IPA. My favorite glasses, though, are some cute little (10 ounce, half pint) Samual Smith pub glasses, with the bulge. Just means that I have to fill a little more often!
American Pint Glasses are 16oz right? Just enough for a 12oz brew +head...

What are those "cute little" cups called? I use those when I go to the bar and grab a pitcher. I move fast through the pitcher, but this way the beer is colder in the glass longer/shorter

Nice link Evan, that's the spot.

5 gallon [US, liquid] = 640 ounce [US, liquid]

Old 10-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

Liked 355 Times on 293 Posts
Likes Given: 95

They're half-pints. Second item down.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:41 AM   #8
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Well I have a belgian blonde in the keg right now and tried pouring it into a normal pint glass comma a guinness shaped glass comma a pilsner glass all of them I get no carbonation even with having it at 15psi for a week. I try my chimay glass and BAM carbonation. The glass really helps in the style.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:57 AM   #9
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I really like the new Samuel Adams glasses.

Quick Reply