Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Glass carboys, real talk.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
VachonBrewCo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Glass carboys, real talk.

Ok, so I'm sitting back reading the, "Broken Carboy" thread and it really gives me a headache! Here's some simple advice. The most common thing I read was "I use a carboy handle and I can see the stress fractures."

Ok, fact #1: Carboy handles ARE NOT meant to move FULL carboys. They are for toting around empty carboys. If you want to move a FULL carboy without breaking the neck off, use a brew hauler. They are $12.99 at you LHBS.

Fact#2: Let your wort chill all the way before racking. It's the same as plastic, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Fact#3: Be aware that it IS glass. When moving it, be cautious. People say "I use plastic/better bottles because glass breaks too easily." Do you also drink your beer out of a plastic dippy cup because it doesn't break? No, you're just cautious because its glass.

For the record I'm NOT trying to pick on anyone. I'm NOT saying glass is better than plastic, I'm just saying the logic behind some people's arguments is a little off. Please feel free to voice your opinion here!!

Thanks for reading!!
Cheers!!

Living the dream, one beer at a time.

Primary: American Red Ale, Vanilla Cream Ale
Secondary: Rye IPA, Chocolate Milk Stout
On Deck: Sasion

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
dmashl
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I grab the neck and the bottom of the carboy with my hands. Make sure my hands are dry. Have to haul it up and down a staircase Not trusting an apparatus to hold up.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 632 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 168

The difference between a glass beer bottle and a carboy is huge!! No glass carboys for me for 2 reasons: 1) weight - they are too heavy. 2) danger - too risky for me even with careful handling. Read in the disaster posts " I just lightly tapped it on......"

Old 09-04-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 234 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 309

i like to store mine in my freezer so that it stays sanitary during storage. then i take it out to let it sit at room temperature for at least five minutes. next I transfer boiling wort in mine and then move it directly to an ice bath. easier that way. the hot wort sanitizes the carboy and then it cools in the sanitized vessel without needing to transfer.

People Like This 
Old 09-04-2013, 04:29 PM   #5
Peruvian802
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I drop it into a milk crate. Instant handles.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
day_trippr
Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 1048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i like to put boiling wort in mine and then transfer it directly to an ice bath. easier that way. the hot wort sanitizes the carboy and then it cools in the sanitized vessel without needing to transfer.
Wow. Hope your health insurance is solid, because you're just begging for an epic thermal-shock-induced carboy failure...

Cheers!
Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 280 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by day_trippr

Wow. Hope your health insurance is solid, because you're just begging for an epic thermal-shock-induced carboy failure...

Cheers!
Not to mention losing a whole batch of beer.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Onkel_Udo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i like to put boiling wort in mine and then transfer it directly to an ice bath. easier that way. the hot wort sanitizes the carboy and then it cools in the sanitized vessel without needing to transfer.
Please tell me you forgot to use the irony/sarcasm font here.

If not PLEASE stop doing this. The thermal shock of put +180 F glass into an ice bath is extremely dangerous. Some old school lab glass can handle this but not the pretty basic glass structure a carboy is made out of (possibly some acid carboys are Pyrex or similar).

Old 09-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
Sweep
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have had two 6.5-gal glass carboys and one 5-gal glass carboy for the 7 years I've been brewing. I've moved them around using just the carboy handle - empty or full without issues. I brew upstairs, carry the carboys downstairs for fermenting, and bring them back upstairs for the keg transfer. Never had an issue. Never even thought that these things could break unless I drop them or bang them around on the floor.

I do make sure to always place the carboy and swirl/aerate the wort on a soft surface to avoid scratching up and fracturing the glass, never "pivot" the carboy on the counter when emptying, just deal with the weight and hold it in the air upside down, giving a little swirl to whirlpool the liquid out. Don't bang the carboy cleaner around inside, use PBW and soak if needed. Etc...

Regardless, I just started reading some of the horror stories out there and it makes total sense. I've been lucky. I just bought three brew haulers. Will never carry these things by the handle again unless they're empty.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by VachonBrewCo View Post
Ok, so I'm sitting back reading the, "Broken Carboy" thread and it really gives me a headache! Here's some simple advice. The most common thing I read was "I use a carboy handle and I can see the stress fractures."

Ok, fact #1: Carboy handles ARE NOT meant to move FULL carboys. They are for toting around empty carboys. If you want to move a FULL carboy without breaking the neck off, use a brew hauler. They are $12.99 at you LHBS.

Fact#2: Let your wort chill all the way before racking. It's the same as plastic, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Fact#3: Be aware that it IS glass. When moving it, be cautious. People say "I use plastic/better bottles because glass breaks too easily." Do you also drink your beer out of a plastic dippy cup because it doesn't break? No, you're just cautious because its glass.

For the record I'm NOT trying to pick on anyone. I'm NOT saying glass is better than plastic, I'm just saying the logic behind some people's arguments is a little off. Please feel free to voice your opinion here!!

Thanks for reading!!
Cheers!!
Why are you working so hard to justify using glass?

Quick Reply