Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Glass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabassa View Post
Thanks funk,

So how do you attach an airlock or blowoff tube?
Rich
You can either modify the lid, get a modified lid, or pull one of the posts and dip tubes and use some 1/2" ID tubing there.

Shoot me a PM if you want to know about how I use sanke kegs, and how I will be doing it (differently) shortly.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #22
plinyismyhero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've had my better bottle for about 2 years, and couldn't be happier with it. It's the 6 gallon with the racking port, and has at least 40 batches on it, with no staining or smells of any kind. The only downside is that having less headspace compared to my 6.5 gallon carboy means i have to use a blowoff tube, but i've gotten used to that. Easy to clean, lift, and use in general. I'll never go back.....but those stainless carboys are pretty cool....

Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #23
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3190 Times on 1993 Posts
Likes Given: 2721

Quote:
Any clue how many batches a BB will last? Before getting too funkified?
Rich
I've got 6 better bottles. Been using them for 3 years. I think they will last a LONG time. Just get a big bucket of oxyclean, a scoop per dirty BB, lat it sit 2 or 3 days, and they will clean right up.

I broke a glass one and traded the other 2 for cornie kegs. So glad they are gone.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #24
funkadelicturkey
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 2329

Quote:
Thanks funk,

So how do you attach an airlock or blowoff tube?
Rich
For use as a secondary you should not new a blowoff. I wouldn't recommend a blowoff on any secondary as temperature changes may cause whatever liquid your tube is going into to be sucked back into your fermenter.

You have a few options if you want to use airlock.
1. no airlock, you can just vent with the pressure relief valve
2. airlock built onto the gas in post
Not mine but pretty cool ...http://www.aleiens.com/profiles/blogs/building-an-airlock-to-ferment

Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #25
bobbrewedit
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I end up lifting my glass carboys up and down stairs...sometimes full. This certainly gives me something to think about, thanks for starting the thread.

Edit: glad you're alright, what a bummer.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #26
rabassa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkadelicturkey

That's pretty slick!
Rich

Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #27
rabassa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrewedit
I end up lifting my glass carboys up and down stairs...sometimes full. This certainly gives me something to think about, thanks for starting the thread.

Edit: glad you're alright, what a bummer.
Thanks bob.
I was very lucky. It shattered in the sink. Had it not been relatively contained, it could have done a lot more damage.
Rich

Old 12-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #28
rabassa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWoodBrew

Yes, I have been working with a manufacture for quite some time..to develop my line of Stainless Steel Carboy Style fermenters. That we call the "Cavern". I wanted to design something that was easy to carry, easy to clean, and most off all shatter proof..WE have just opened our business so we do not have any testimonials yet..However, we here at Deep Wood Brew Products have been using them for quite some time..and find them to be a home brewers dream come true.
I'm really digging these fermenters. Do you have any more pics or videos of them being handled?
Rich

Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #29
edecambra
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Exact same thing happened to me. Check out morebeers plastic carboys. I just got one and they are way more sturdy that the bb I have. I do recommend it

Old 12-10-2012, 06:04 PM   #30
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkadelicturkey View Post
For use as a secondary you should not new a blowoff. I wouldn't recommend a blowoff on any secondary as temperature changes may cause whatever liquid your tube is going into to be sucked back into your fermenter.

You have a few options if you want to use airlock.
1. no airlock, you can just vent with the pressure relief valve
2. airlock built onto the gas in post
Not mine but pretty cool ...http://www.aleiens.com/profiles/blogs/building-an-airlock-to-ferment
While it may be 'cool' it's also over-complicated. IME, all you need is a short section of 1/2" ID tubing. Either vinyl or silicone will work equally well (most of us have silicone tubing already on hand). simply pull either post (and poppet) from the keg (IMO, use the liquid side so that the dip tube is clean inside for later) and slip the tubing over the post base fitting. Push the airlock into the upper part of the tube and you're pretty much there. IF you want, you can 'secure' it with a pair of zip-ties. Total cost, including tubing, and zip ties (assuming you have the airlock) is maybe 50 cents (2" section of silicone tubing is ~$0.33 at $2/foot) a few cents more if you use a 3" section. The one in the link above is at least $1-$2 (worm clamps are not cheap).

Also, with using the post fitting, you don't have to worry about clogging up the QD with gunk (blow-off).

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Quick Reply