Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Glass

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
rabassa
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Glass

I wanted to share a recent mishap with my fellow homebrewers. This isn't meant to be an argument against glass or for plastic it's merely a story To remind people to take an extra measure of caution when dealing with glass.

I started brewing in 1992 and Brewed pretty consistently until about 2003 when I moved out of town to a much smaller place. With the lack of space and time I pretty much stopped brewing at that point.

A few weeks ago I decided I need to start brewing again so I rebuilt my system and brewed my first batch in almost 10 years. Yesterday was time to rack my first batch. I unpacked my 5 gallon carboys and began washing them in the sink. While giving it a final rinse with Sanitizer it slipped from my hands and smashed. A large fragment sliced open my arm. While compressing my wound I had the wherewithal to make it out of the house and to neighbors house where she called 911.

The glass fragment caused two lacerations in my arm, one severing a tendon and cutting into the muscle. A handful of stitches were required to reattach the muscle and 12 stitches to seal up the external lacerations.

The first thing I did when I got home last night was to go online and order plastic replacements for all my glass.

Although I still feel that glass is better for fermentation, after last night's incident I don't feel comfortable using it anymore.

On a brighter note my beer was unaffected although racking it in the next week or so will present a challenge.

So if you're going to stick with glass please please be careful.

Rich

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
markm2151
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Glad to hear you're ok, safety reminders cannot be underestimated.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
rabassa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks mark,

I appreciate it.
Rich

Old 12-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Good to hear you are doing ok Rich.
Things like that happen so fast instinct kicks in and once it's over you are usually left scratching your head wondering how it happened and how you had the presence of mind to make it through clear headed.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 12-09-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Sacdan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I stopped using glass several years ago because of stories like yours. Now I use Stainless or Plastic.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
rabassa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade
Good to hear you are doing ok Rich.
Things like that happen so fast instinct kicks in and once it's over you are usually left scratching your head wondering how it happened and how you had the presence of mind to make it through clear headed.
Thanks Nightshade.

It could have been much worse.
Also i'm a stay at home dad and my kids were here... 3 kids under the age of four. Luckily two were napping and the oldest was watching tv. My biggest worry was passing out before I could get help...

Rich

Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
rabassa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacdan
I stopped using glass several years ago because of stories like yours. Now I use Stainless or Plastic.
Ah Stainless steel would be awesome but I don't think my wife would allow me to spend that much...

Rich

Old 12-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 108 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabassa View Post
Ah Stainless steel would be awesome but I don't think my wife would allow me to spend that much...

Rich

Glad to hear your ok, I have a number of close calls. And have thought about converting to Stainless and plastic. I am sure the cost of getting stitched up was more than a stainless fermenter.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 480 Times on 421 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Glad you're ok, it could have been much worse. I would just leave the batches in primary until ready for bottling. I would also see if you can locate some used, decommissioned sanke kegs (legit) and start fermenting in those. There are ways to extract fro. Those that don't require any lifting (a good thing while you heal. PM me if you're interested in how I've been doing it and will be changing that in the very near future.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 12-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
rabassa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie
Glad you're ok, it could have been much worse. I would just leave the batches in primary until ready for bottling. I would also see if you can locate some used, decommissioned sanke kegs (legit) and start fermenting in those. There are ways to extract fro. Those that don't require any lifting (a good thing while you heal. PM me if you're interested in how I've been doing it and will be changing that in the very near future.
Hey Golddiggie,

Yeah I would love to hear how you are fermenting in the kegs.

Rich

Quick Reply