Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Giving beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 06:00 PM   #1
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2253 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1237

Default Giving beer

I've always wanted to give my beer out. One problem is that I don't really have any close friends who can appreciate my beer. Another is that I'm still working on consistently making good beer.

The third thing is that I've always wondered how much beer I could give out, or if I really, legally, could. (not that I've cared, just curious).

Turns out, in Michigan, you can give out 20 gallons to each person per year. Citing sources, Michigan Compiled Laws Chapter 436, Act 58 of 1998, Chapter 2, Section 436.1207

"436.1207 Exceptions to act.

(b) Beer, wine, mead, honey-based beer, or cider of any alcoholic content made on the premises by the owner or lessee of those premises provided those premises are used and occupied by that owner or lessee as a dwelling and the beer, wine, mead, honey-based beer, or cider is made for family use and home consumption.

(c) The gift to an individual for noncommercial use or consumption of up to 20 gallons of beer, wine, mead, honey-based beer, or cider produced under the circumstances described in subdivision (b). This subdivision does not allow a person less than 21 years of age to possess, receive as a gift, or give beer, wine, mead, honey-based beer, or cider produced under the circumstances described in subdivision (b).

So, I have no worries, as I'm still lucky to make 20 gallons in a year anyway. I need to get this remodeling done and brew some more!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Join a local homebrew club. Share your beer, drink theirs and learn how to make your brew better.

3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 10-08-2008, 07:23 PM   #3
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Yes, that would be fun. Perhaps when I get caught up on my house I can brew more and get with others and share experiences. For now I have this place while at work...

Old 10-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Give away as much as you want. It's when you sell it that things get sticky with the law.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Darn, you're a little bit too far away from me to drop by for a beer or 3....But there's a new brewer who introduced himself tonday from Cadillac....you two should hook up.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
BEER_4_BREAKFAST
Recipes 

Send me some in the mail!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:36 AM   #7
Taper123
Recipes 

I trade beer with the only other brewer I know in the Houston area. Both of us spend more time lately with our chain saws than our brew pots.

Funny... we have two electrical breakers on at our house right now. One supplies the Travel Trailer we are living in at the moment, the other supplies a refrigerator and my "fermentation chamber" ( a freezer on a thermal over ride). Have made a batch of Apfelwien, a blonde ale, and a belgian dubbel to fill it back up. The heck with IKE... beer and reconstruction must go on!

It's a good feeling to swap beers with others. Sometimes you both get something you truly like... Lol... so if you have too much lying around, feel free to mail me some as "yeast samples". heard that's the easiest way to slip them through the mail if you have to declare what it is....

Old 10-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
MrNate
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops View Post
Give away as much as you want. It's when you sell it that things get sticky with the law.
With the Feds, you mean. Local laws are tricky. Here in the People's Republik of New Jersey, a lot of things are presumed illegal and allowed to certain individuals only by exemption and with a laundry list of restrictions. Nasty, evil things that no self-respecting Citizen should even be thinking about relying on themselves for.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #9
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Darn, you're a little bit too far away from me to drop by for a beer or 3....But there's a new brewer who introduced himself tonday from Cadillac....you two should hook up.

Yeah, we should totally figure out how to get together for a homebrew party. I'd love to taste some real homebrew.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've got a couple guys at work that I always bring a few bottles of my latest brews to. I expect them to give me an honest feedback and my old bottles back, nothing else. They always seem to enjoy it and I get a couple more viewpoints on how things came out.

Burkey Street Brewery

Quick Reply