Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Giving away beer, receiving money for ingred.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Lukeduke02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Giving away beer, receiving money for ingred.

Hey everyone,
I know there are a lot of threads about selling HB.... both in pub/restaraunt settings and with friends etc.

I'm in NC, my situation is co-workers/ clients etc have expressed interest in my HB for christmas presents etc....

Now I do give away HB without any return fairly often, however some of there are several people asking for several six packs each.

How do I give them beer, and them give me money, LEGALLY?

Verbally say "I'm giving you these beers, and they verbally say they are giving me money towards my next ingredient list".....?

Or?

Do I type a small sheet that explains "You are receiving these homebrews as a gift, and you have chosen to donate said amount towards ingredients for my next beer"???

Whats the thoughts?

Thanks!

Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeduke02 View Post

Thanks!
You can't. end of story, no wiggle room, no legal schemes.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 14

And for goodness sakes don't leave a paper trail!!!

nurture my pig

Old 12-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
Lukeduke02
Recipes 

There are plenty of other threads talking about people saying the money is for ingredients......

Thats not allowed?

Other threads talk about them buying ingredients and giving it to the brewer....

Is this allowed?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #5
Run4BeerCO
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Ask them if they are a cop first and then meet them in a dark alley to make the exchange.

I don't think you have much to worry about unless you are trying to make serious business out of selling your beer.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeduke02 View Post
Hey everyone,
I know there are a lot of threads about selling HB.... both in pub/restaraunt settings and with friends etc.

I'm in NC, my situation is co-workers/ clients etc have expressed interest in my HB for christmas presents etc....

Now I do give away HB without any return fairly often, however some of there are several people asking for several six packs each.

Verbally say "I'm giving you these beers, and they verbally say they are giving me money towards my next ingredient list".....?

Or?

Do I type a small sheet that explains "You are receiving these homebrews as a gift, and you have chosen to donate said amount towards ingredients for my next beer"???

Whats the thoughts?

Thanks!
why would you even worry about this?

Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 323

Yea, the general rule is you can't take money for homebrew. I don't see a MORAL problem with someone saying "Hey, your beer is great- can I get some to give to my friends? I'll pick up the bill for the grain if you brew it." I do this all the time and I'm not worried about admitting it.

It's a gray area legally- unenforceable, but technically illegal as you're just changing the order in which you receive money for giving someone beer.

I'd say if someone wanted to buy you some ingredients as a gift, rather than give you cash, it'd be a friendly gesture to give them some of the outcome, because, you know, they're your friend, man. Really, though, it's not something to worry about. Friendly exchanges like this is not what the law is for (like I said, basically unenforceable).

If you wanted to sell your beer in a bar or in a direct manner (you can't have my beer unless you give me $2/bottle) it would be a bigger problem, not to mention one that's more easily to get you noticed.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-06-2012, 10:18 PM   #8
Lukeduke02
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastoak View Post
why would you even worry about this?
Because I'm not sleeping on silk sheets and eating my cereal with a golden spoon....

If I have 5 coworkers wanting a case of beer each, that's about $120-$150 in ingredient cost that I'd rather not piss away.... Not to mention if this scenario repeats sometime in the future

I'm not really wanting to buy other peoples christmas presents... I've got my own to buy

Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #9
hnsfeigel
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
You can't. end of story, no wiggle room, no legal schemes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
And for goodness sakes don't leave a paper trail!!!
^^ This.

But if a friend comes over with a big bag of grain for my birthday, I'm probably not gonna chase him up the street if I'm a few bottles light when he leaves.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
RTL
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would check your local laws. In some states using beer for bartering, i.e. trading it for grains, is just as illegal as selling it outright.

I agree that the receipt thing is a very bad idea.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply