Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Getting SWMBO to like beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
mew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

Default Getting SWMBO to like beer

My SWMBO loves to brew with me and comes from a family that drinks a lot of beer, but she detests the beverage herself. It's just the bitterness that gets to her, I think. She actually really wants to like beer, probably because she likes to make it with me and she grew up with adults around her drinking beer. So my question is: how do I get her to like beer? I was thinking of brewing a really bitter and hoppy IPA and having her choke a bottle down every night with the hope that by the end of 5 gallons she would either like it, or other beers would seem less bitter by comparison.

Keg 2: Empty

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #2
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Why not try a scotch ale? Or a lambic? Or a hefeweizen?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:58 AM   #3
Kai

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 3 Posts

Does she dislike all beer? What about a mild? Or a really good malty bitter? Or a porter, cream ale, (insert style here)? Find what she dislikes the least and what she really can't stand, and figure out from that what characteristics she likes and what she doesn't. Then ease her into the world of beer as a whole.

It might be hard if she has a very coolers-and-cocktails palate. If she's into others of the superficially-unpleasant-but-ultimately-awesome tastes, like sharp cheese or whatever, then I bet she'll come 'round.

There are some people, though, who you just know are write-offs. Too much milk and sugar in their coffee, ketchup, processed cheese, the pachelbel canon, the ones whose tastes haven't expanded since nine years old. I guess I'm being an EAC, but you know what I mean.

I like the IPA idea. I've been training my roommate to like jazz by tying him down and playing the New Thing at him for an hour every night. Suddenly, he doesn't mind Mingus so much.

Kegged: Christmas Ale
Bottle Conditioning:
Drinking: Saison Bâtard

The Green Wall Nanobrewery
tibi non nolis

Old 02-07-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
kenche
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My fiance is not a beer drinker at all, but she really enjoys a well made stout (not guiness) or porter. And strangely enough, she loves SNPA.

I suggest getting her to try a good flavourful porter or stout. Something chocately always seems to work.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Another option to ween her onto hops... Make a beer with 6-10 IBU's from a first wort hop, then dry hop it with an ounce or so of noble hops. Let her get the flavor without the bitterness and she might start to appreciate hops more.

In fact, I have a beer where I did just that and the few chicks that tried it were all quite intrigued by the flavor. That's when I would take out a pellet or a leaf of hops and have them roll it in their palms and sniff.... Their eyes open and they say something like, "Wow.. I have a totally new appreciation for this beer ingredient... I had no idea where that smell and taste came from before...."

Once you can identify it and name it, you start to welcome it a little bit more... It's not because you suddenly like it, but because you are suddenly able to recognize something that few (non-homebrewing) beer drinkers have ever appreciated as thoroughly. Think about it. In a matter of two sips and one sniff of hops, a girl (or guy) can truly appreciate hops more than 99.9% of the BMC-swilling fools ever will. That's quite a long journey for a minute's worth of experimentation.

It gives the chicks an insight that makes them feel all smart and sophisticated. They've unlocked a secret to beer and, even if they don't love it (yet), they have learned to recognize it and appreciate it... from there, loving it is the next step....

Last edited by Sir Humpsalot; 02-07-2008 at 10:37 AM.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #6
MULE
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

IMHO, I would try buying a few styles of beer you think she might like before brewing your next batch. Then try to clone that style of beer.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:57 AM   #7
Jekster
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think the problem here is that you're only picking out a select type of beer. Lets face it, as yummy as hoppy beers are they are only a smaller percentage of the different types of beers out there. I say you proceed like some others suggested and let her try a few of the more mild styles (Wheat, Wit, Mild Pale, Stout) and see if she can appreciate the more subtle styles before moving on to a hop bomb.

In the Works:

Old 02-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mew
My SWMBO loves to brew with me and comes from a family that drinks a lot of beer, but she detests the beverage herself. It's just the bitterness that gets to her, I think. She actually really wants to like beer, probably because she likes to make it with me and she grew up with adults around her drinking beer. So my question is: how do I get her to like beer? I was thinking of brewing a really bitter and hoppy IPA and having her choke a bottle down every night with the hope that by the end of 5 gallons she would either like it, or other beers would seem less bitter by comparison.
As mentioned in some of the other posts, try a Lambic, Hefe weiss, english brown, ESB, or maybe a Scottish ale. She might not like the hoppy beers.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #9
Boerderij_Kabouter

Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I buying new beers all the time. There is bound to be a style or specific brew that tickles her fancy. I introduce most of my women friends to beer with saison style Belgians, farmhouse ales, or tripels. This has worked very well for me and I have brought many of my wifes friends to appreciate beer and even order it for themselves every once and a while.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
CatchinZs

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Make the Caramel Cream ale recipe.
It has a bunch of lactose in it so it is more sweet than bitter but don't do it if she is lactose intolerant or I can guarantee she'll hate beer forever.

I just made it and it's almost to sweet for me...I said almost.

Quick Reply