Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Getting the itch to brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #1
SailorTodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Getting the itch to brew

I have an overwhelming desire to brew right now. The problem? I'm in the Persian Gulf. But that problem will soon be taken care of (20 more days!). Now that my time is getting close, my head is spinning with brewing thoughts (much like sugar plums). What equipment am I going to get? In what order? What do I want to brew first? All kinds of good stuff. My thoughts for now:

What to brew?

I want to get two batches knocked out pretty close to each other. I'm thinking a SMASH Pale ale with just 2-row and Cascade. 10 lb of the malt at a 154 mash temp for medium body, plenty of hops (FWH maybe???) to be ready fairly soon after I brew it. Then a robust porter that will do well with a little age. 80% pale, 10% crystal 80 and 10% chocolate, with some Kent Golding

And the equipment?

Oh, where to start on this one...
A Barley Crusher grain mill so I can buy in bulk and have a fresh crush on brew day.
More fermentation vessels. My buddy just got me a carboy, so now I have two, but I think four is more in order...
A fermentation fridge and temp controller.
Kegging equipment.
A kegerator/keezer.

All of that will break the bank if I go at it all at once, so I'm going to have to put myself on the six to twelve month plan, piecing it all together.

So pumped to hit the ground running it's not even funny.

Beer, so much more than just a breakfast drink

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

To cut the time to get your equipment list filled without breaking the bank look into "brew in a bag" or BIAB for short. You can use a cheaper grain mill instead of putting out the money for a barley crusher (I got mine of less than $20) and a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag to put in your boiling kettle and you have an all grain setup. Instead of buying a pair of carboys, use the plastic buckets like most of us do. For about $15 you get a bucket with a lid and an airlock. They are safer than glass in case you ever drop one too. Also if you find them empty, you can stack them together for storage. With the money you saved you can afford the fermentation fridge and controller so you beer quality will be top notch right away.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
SailorTodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
To cut the time to get your equipment list filled without breaking the bank look into "brew in a bag" or BIAB for short. You can use a cheaper grain mill instead of putting out the money for a barley crusher (I got mine of less than $20) and a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag to put in your boiling kettle and you have an all grain setup. Instead of buying a pair of carboys, use the plastic buckets like most of us do. For about $15 you get a bucket with a lid and an airlock. They are safer than glass in case you ever drop one too. Also if you find them empty, you can stack them together for storage. With the money you saved you can afford the fermentation fridge and controller so you beer quality will be top notch right away.
Meh, not into BIAB. I made a nice little mash tun from an old cooler a while back, and I'd like to keep it in use. The barley crusher is actually highest on my want list anyway. I definitely plan on buckets for vessels. My buddy just happened to get an extra carboy and gifted it to me. And next priority will be ferm fridge, because that top notch quality is important to me. So maybe BC, then fridge, then buckets, then kegging equipment...

It'd all be much easier if I just won the lottery. Of course that'd mean I have to play first.

Beer, so much more than just a breakfast drink

Quick Reply