Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Georgia, Tennesee Trip
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #1
FreshZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 336
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

I'm taking a trip starting next Saturday to Savannah and Atlanta with stops in Nashville and Chattanooga. I'm doing the SweetWater brewery tour and stopping by Brewmasters Warehouse already, but I was wondering about some good beer that is available down there. Anything local or something I just can't get here in Missouri? Any good beer stores you can recommend? Thanks.

__________________

Primary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

FreshZ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
dedhedjed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 345
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Nashville, check out Yazoo Brewing and Jackalope Brewing Company... Flying Saucer and 12 south taproom are great beer bars.

Atlanta- SweetWater like you mentioned... ( I'm biased, I brew there), Red Hare Brewing Company is in Marietta and has a taproom and tours, Five Seasons is a great brewpub (there are three of them), Wrecking Bar and Twains are also great brewpubs, head brewer at Twains was a homebrewer before he got the job there. Hop City is a great bottle shop with some Homebrew supplies and a ton of growler fill options, and is next door to one of the five seasons locations. Ale Yeah is also a solid, smaller bottle shop...

Hope that helps...

__________________

Homebrew shirts, stickers, mugs, etc.
http://www.zazzle.com/mightbemary*

dedhedjed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:10 PM   #3
dedhedjed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 345
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Also, in Savannah check out Moon River Brewing Company... Great brewpub.

__________________

Homebrew shirts, stickers, mugs, etc.
http://www.zazzle.com/mightbemary*

dedhedjed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Budzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 793
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Here in Chattanooga there is alot to check out. We have:

Terminal Brewhouse - great restaurant, extremely historical and interesting building, good beer.
Big River Grill - part of Gordon Biersch, consistently good beer, very good food, higher price point
Chattanooga Brewing Company - have a tasting bar only, but worth going to check out. Can find their beers in other local restaurants.
Moccasin Bend Brewing - another tasting bar only, but they feature events like bands and tours of their basement brewery. Beers are very much on the creative/weird side (in the brewer's own words
McHale's Brewhouse and Pub - my own joint here in Hixson area 15 minutes out of Chattanooga. Very small place, some pub foods, nothing in the way of fancy, but I can guarantee some of the best beer anywhere close, and a great variety, 6-8 on tap. It is still a smoking establishment (wish it wasn't...) so if that bothers you, you can always just pick up a growler. If you want to check it out, I'd be happy to show you around the brewery, its 2 bbl electric custom bcs rig.
Cheers, have a great trip, shoot me a line if you'd like to come by a certain time and see the brewery. adam_hale@ymail.com

__________________
Countertop Brutus Budzu-style
Budzu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
FreshZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 336
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedhedjed
Nashville, check out Yazoo Brewing and Jackalope Brewing Company... Flying Saucer and 12 south taproom are great beer bars.

Atlanta- SweetWater like you mentioned... ( I'm biased, I brew there), Red Hare Brewing Company is in Marietta and has a taproom and tours, Five Seasons is a great brewpub (there are three of them), Wrecking Bar and Twains are also great brewpubs, head brewer at Twains was a homebrewer before he got the job there. Hop City is a great bottle shop with some Homebrew supplies and a ton of growler fill options, and is next door to one of the five seasons locations. Ale Yeah is also a solid, smaller bottle shop...

Hope that helps...
We've got our son with us. Any or all of those ok for kids? Any serve food as well? I was mainly looking for bottle shops, but we're gonna have to eat as well. If I could slip in a few good places to eat that also have a great beer selection, that would be good.
__________________

Primary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

FreshZ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
FreshZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 336
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzu
Here in Chattanooga there is alot to check out. We have:

Terminal Brewhouse - great restaurant, extremely historical and interesting building, good beer.
Big River Grill - part of Gordon Biersch, consistently good beer, very good food, higher price point
Chattanooga Brewing Company - have a tasting bar only, but worth going to check out. Can find their beers in other local restaurants.
Moccasin Bend Brewing - another tasting bar only, but they feature events like bands and tours of their basement brewery. Beers are very much on the creative/weird side (in the brewer's own words
McHale's Brewhouse and Pub - my own joint here in Hixson area 15 minutes out of Chattanooga. Very small place, some pub foods, nothing in the way of fancy, but I can guarantee some of the best beer anywhere close, and a great variety, 6-8 on tap. It is still a smoking establishment (wish it wasn't...) so if that bothers you, you can always just pick up a growler. If you want to check it out, I'd be happy to show you around the brewery, its 2 bbl electric custom bcs rig.
Cheers, have a great trip, shoot me a line if you'd like to come by a certain time and see the brewery. adam_hale@ymail.com
We both smoke, so that sounds great I'll let you know and I really appreciate the offer man.
__________________

Primary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

FreshZ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
dedhedjed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 345
Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Five Seasons has great food, not your typical pub fare. Twains and Wrecking Bar both have good food also, not as fancy as Five Seasons... I bet you can find menus on their websites.

__________________

Homebrew shirts, stickers, mugs, etc.
http://www.zazzle.com/mightbemary*

dedhedjed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Budzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Posts: 793
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshZ View Post
We both smoke, so that sounds great I'll let you know and I really appreciate the offer man.
No problem! Another thing I don't like about having a smoking establishment, our smoking laws require us to only allow customers 21 and over... you mentioned kids. Smoking laws make no sense...
However I typically brew or work before business hours so any visitors before opening are no problem.
__________________
Countertop Brutus Budzu-style
Budzu is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
FreshZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 336
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedhedjed
Five Seasons has great food, not your typical pub fare. Twains and Wrecking Bar both have good food also, not as fancy as Five Seasons... I bet you can find menus on their websites.
Perfect. Thanks man.
__________________

Primary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

FreshZ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
FreshZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 336
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budzu

No problem! Another thing I don't like about having a smoking establishment, our smoking laws require us to only allow customers 21 and over... you mentioned kids. Smoking laws make no sense...
However I typically brew or work before business hours so any visitors before opening are no problem.
That's cool man. If I can convince the SWMBO to do a another brewery, we're there.
__________________

Primary: Nothing
Primary: Nothing
Secondary: MVP (Manly Vanilla Porter),
Bottled: Cali Common, I.P.K., CTZ SMaSH yeast experiment, FUBAR IPA, Barleywine, Columbus Day Milk Stout, Narwhal ESB...
On Deck: Domaine DuPage clone, Heady Topper clone, Oaked Imp. Stout

FreshZ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools




Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS