Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > General Yeast Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 03:42 AM   #1
Deuce
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default General Yeast Question

I recently brewed an IPA and needless to say I was disappointed. Basically for my brewing career I have been all over the board, brewing anything from IPA's to a berliner weissen. The IPA I brewed has the right amount of hoppyness needed but the sweetness just isn't there. I think this might be to the fact that I have been using dry yeast, which I think is drying out my beers to much. So I would be curious to find out if I were to use Wyeast 1056 vs. us-05, would I maintain some of the sweetness from the wort? I like my pale ales and wheat beers dry, but this IPA is lacking something. Would my cheap buying be causing the problem?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 AM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Probably not. Can you supply the recipe, fermentation temps, and mash schedule (if you did all grain)?

Old 07-20-2010, 04:00 AM   #3
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
I recently brewed an IPA and needless to say I was disappointed. Basically for my brewing career I have been all over the board, brewing anything from IPA's to a berliner weissen. The IPA I brewed has the right amount of hoppyness needed but the sweetness just isn't there. I think this might be to the fact that I have been using dry yeast, which I think is drying out my beers to much. So I would be curious to find out if I were to use Wyeast 1056 vs. us-05, would I maintain some of the sweetness from the wort? I like my pale ales and wheat beers dry, but this IPA is lacking something. Would my cheap buying be causing the problem?

I don't think you'll find a much lower attenuating yeast, liquid or dry, than us-05. Do you do all grain or extract? If you're mashing too low,you will get more fermentables and a drier beer. You can also up your grain bill for more body.

Last edited by Reelale; 07-20-2010 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Edited for context.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:20 AM   #4
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
I don't think you'll find a much lower attenuating yeast that us-05, liquid or dry.
Huh? US-05 is generally considered a high-attenuating, clean yeast. I've had no problems with low attenuation with it.

Also, there is no such thing as liquid US-05. It's a dry yeast. There are other Chico strains sold in liquid form, but not US-05.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Last edited by SumnerH; 07-20-2010 at 04:28 AM.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerH View Post
Huh? US-05 is generally considered a high-attenuating, clean yeast. I've had no problems with low attenuation with it.
It's just listed in Beersmith with an avg. attenuation of 70% while most other yeasts are 72-75%. I was just pointing out that if the OP was looking for a lower attenuating yeast, there aren't many choices, and using Safale US-05 probably wasn't the problem. I use it too, and like it.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2142 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

All of my pale ales have a certain amount of crystal malt and I generally mash at medium body as well. Both of those will add a bit of sweetness and mouthfeel.

If you post your recipe, we can look and see what it needs. Or it could be your thermometer is off...

Quick Reply