Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > General Thoughts on AIPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2011, 03:17 AM   #1
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Default General Thoughts on AIPA

I consider myself a huge fan of American IPA's. I have tasted more comercial examples than I can recall and brewed, and brewed until I finally think I figured this thing out. I will share my thoughts on what makes AIPA so good......

#1 Finishes dry, very dry, often times assisted with sugar in the grain bill

#2 Very simple grain bill, VERY, VERY limited amount of cyrstal malts and almost never specialty malts

#3 Heavy dose of pacific northwest hops in the last 15 minutes of the boil and a huge dry hop. Varieties include, but are not limited to, cascade, centennial,chinook, amarillo, warrior, columbus, summit, willamette, etc..etc....

#4 Yeast can help add to fruity aroma and flavor or can be completely neutral, either way it needs to be a dry finishing strain. WLP007 and WLP001 are great examples

#5 This beer should not be dark, not syrupy and have no dark crystal malt (raisin, plum) flavors. I have tasted a few examples (one from Abita comes to mind) that are fairly dark, caramel driven so called IPA's.......heavy crystal malt and hop flavor aroma seem to fight each other

#6 I have tasted numerous commercial and hb examples that have a very complex grain bill, the richness and maltiness that large amounts of crystal and specialty malts add to a beer create a heaviness and cloying complexity to the ale that is just to heavy.

This all being sain here is a list of commercial examples I find to be exemplary:

Rogue Yellow Snow IPA (I consider this a benchmark...super dry, hop forward...delicious)
Sierra Nevada Torpedo
Boulder Brewing Mojo
Redhook Longhammer
New Belgium Ranger ( malt, sugar, hops, water, yeast....it's done well)
Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 5303 Posts
Likes Given: 711

I agree.

Others may flame you for listing Longhammer - but that's the beer that got me into hoppy beers...

Old 02-27-2011, 03:29 AM   #3
coypoo
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You are 100% right. We started making out own IPA recipe, and 3 brews in, none are very good. We tried to make them "complex" and add some more flavor by using biscuit, victory, aromatic, or a decent amount of crystal malts. Not good.

Last batch was 2 row, 5% crystal, and sugar. Simple, simple. I already think it is going to turn out waay better than the other ones. Simple recipes always seem to work the best

Rowdy Reptile Brewing
http://rowdyreptilebrewing.blogspot.com/

Old 02-27-2011, 03:36 AM   #4
permo
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
I agree.

Others may flame you for listing Longhammer - but that's the beer that got me into hoppy beers...

Hey, say what you will about Longhammer, its a decent beer...nice middle of the road AIPA.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:38 AM   #5
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6069 Times on 5303 Posts
Likes Given: 711

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Hey, say what you will about Longhammer, its a decent beer...nice middle of the road AIPA.
It's a great beer in my opinion. If I buy commercial - I usually buy it...

It's a very sessionable AIPA

Quick Reply