Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > General beer snobbery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
danieldavid39
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default General beer snobbery

Just to clear the air, there are beers I don't like... At all!!! BUT I do understand and observe their place in this world... Bud light and Heineken drinkers are all around me, and will swear that a bud is a far superior beer than anything by flying dog or rogue or (insert any of you favorites here)... But to say that all beer that isn't made by a smaller brewery sucks makes me angry, and I see that all the time on here... Boston Lager is great, not to mention the other 100 beers that Boston brewery has tried their hand at (some are huge misses and some are fantastic) and I see Sam hate on here from time to time... Not every beer is a winner, but if I am watching the game with friends, I am not reaching for the DIPA I brewed or the tripel... I'm going for the alcoholic water that is rolling rock or bud light because I know it'll be a long day of football... Just venting here...

I believe there are tasting beers and there are party beers, and as a brewing enthusiast, I appreciate beer on whatever scale or flavor... Although, all dunkelweizens can fall off the face of the earth and I wouldn't lose a wink

(Get it? I put a winky thing at the end of that last sentence because I said "wink" in it)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Schol-R-LEA
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Here, here! I have to agree, there is too much BMC-bashing around here. I say we should focus less on beers we don't want to drink, or choose not to drink except at certain times, and more on those beers we love.

And let's face it, for what they are making, the light lager brewers do manage to produce some extremely difficult beers with a consistency no homebrewer could match. The fact that they are making a product for mass consumption, rather than the more specialized styles most here prefer, is purely a matter of economics; they are making beers that appeal to the largest number of people, and the truth is most people want something light and refreshing, and are more concerned with its capacity to carry alcohol than its flavor. There's nothing wrong with that, and we shouldn't get offended by it, just because our priorities are different.

OK, so I've laughed at people for drinking things like Milwaukee's Best or Genesee Light, beers whose continued existence is predicated entirely on their low price and the lax age-checking of their purveyors. It's hard not to, after all. But even then, I try to keep it friendly rather than malicious.

That having been said, I think the beer snobbery heard here is as much a reaction to the rejection of craft beer by the majority of drinkers as it is about the beer itself. Homebrewers especially tend to take it on the chin from BMC drinkers, as a quick glance at the 'funny/stupid things said about beer' threads will show. Many of the worst beer snobs have never had anything but Bud Light their whole lives, and when they sneer at us for offering them some of our creations, it hurts. I think it is this that causes a lot of craft beer aficionados to turn snob, as much as the beer itself.

In my experience, it is really hard to get most people to try something new. I regularly attended some parties where, among other things going on, I would offer folks samples of my homebrew. About 1 in 5 of the attendees would accept the offer, and about half of those who did try it were put off by the gravity and intensity of the beer. This applied even to a very BMC-ish cream ale I made. Those who did like the beer generally liked it a lot, but most weren't interested in trying something new to begin with. It was frustrating, and if I weren't as thick-skinned about such things as I am, I would have gotten very, very angry about it all.

Boy Toy: You must think I'm a terrible human being...
Punchline: Don't be ridiculous. Nobody thinks you're a human being.
unionrdr Likes This 
Old 11-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2260 Times on 1969 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

Yup,I think we've all been there. There's just no accounting for taste. And to one group,the lawncare guys (I think some of you remember this story) The head jose didn't even like either of my hybrid lagers,light or dark. His brother loved'em. The young bil loved my Maori IPA...he said he better not have another one he enjoyed it so much. So hit & miss on that one...sometimes the magic works,sometimes it dosen't.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
SPR-GRN
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I try not to get drawn into beer bashing discussions, or if I do get drawn in I try to give a neutral or constructive comment. I commented in one of the more recent SA bashing threads - I don't really drink SA anymore, but it's not because the beer is bad, it's because the beer no longer suits my taste, not because it has changed but because I remember a time when it was the only *craft* beer available at bars, so I drank Boston Lager a lot.. like way too much, and it went the way of #9 for me; I just can't drink it anymore.

I will admit I used to bash on BMC, but I no longer do because it's not constructive, and it doesn't help convince people to try something else.

Saturday I was at a restaurant with my BIL and FIL and we ordered some toasted lagers (can't remember who at this point, but something local to CT) and the waitress came back and said the keg had just kicked, but brought us samples of the golden ale that replaced it. They both got the golden ale, I tried it and although it was a good golden ale it just wasn't what I wanted. Being the appointed "beer guy" of the group they asked me why I didn't get it? and was it a bad beer? I told them it was a good beer, that it definitely utilized centennial hops, and was a good example of the style, I just was in the mood for something different, and this beer was too "spring or summer" for me right now. They enjoyed their beers and I had my first Manhattan, which was pretty good.

on a semi related note, do not knock "girly drinks" until you try them, I've been trying them lately and some of them are really good, and I'm typically a bourbon neat/straight guy or whiskey rocks kinda guy.

Oh yeah and I evolved from "beer snob" to "beer douche" when I started teaching people how to brew. The main difference is now when I offer my opinion on beer (whether people want it or not) I offer some unnecessary piece of information, like the Centennial hops comment above.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: "Not a Chardonnay", Malbec, Skeeter Pee
On Tap: Pale Ale, Brown, Marzen
Next batch(es): Cider, dirty blonde
Updated: 10-29-2014
"Oh no, not again" - A Bowl of Petunias

Old 11-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
geek_chaser
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm new to the whole homebrew/craft beer scene, and I love it. But I won't start bashing others just yet. I like a bud light now and then, or land shark. It all depends on how lazy I am, or what I'm in the mood for. I am loving my own beers and trying new things. But I don't make lagers just yet, so enjoying a big brand name is nice sometimes. Just because I don't like coorse or miller doesn't mean my "craft drinking/against micro brew" uncle can't enjoy them. To each his own.

Dont sweat the petty things. Pet the sweaty things.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
Blarneybrew
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

All beer that isn't made by small breweries suck? I hear the exact opposite from consumers of big brands. Craft brew is too rich, too yeasty, too much

You can make party beers aka session beers.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #7
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 17 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1690 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 2836

Color me crazy but I figured the bashing was all in good fun. I don't care what someone drinks as long as I am not forced to drink it. I don't care about drinking enough to bother with BMC or anything like it. I've even dumped a $10 glass of beer because I couldn't tolerate it.

I can really appreciate people who are at least willing to try a beer before they write it off.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
bsperr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR-GRN View Post
I had my first Manhattan, which was pretty good.
OT, but I love a good Manhattan. I like mine with Bulliet Bourbon straight up.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2260 Times on 1969 Posts
Likes Given: 1698

My fil used to love a good Manahttan.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
evrose
Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieldavid39 View Post
Just to clear the air, there are beers I don't like... At all!!! BUT I do understand and observe their place in this world... Bud light and Heineken drinkers are all around me, and will swear that a bud is a far superior beer than anything by flying dog or rogue or (insert any of you favorites here)... But to say that all beer that isn't made by a smaller brewery sucks makes me angry, and I see that all the time on here... Boston Lager is great, not to mention the other 100 beers that Boston brewery has tried their hand at (some are huge misses and some are fantastic) and I see Sam hate on here from time to time... Not every beer is a winner, but if I am watching the game with friends, I am not reaching for the DIPA I brewed or the tripel... I'm going for the alcoholic water that is rolling rock or bud light because I know it'll be a long day of football... Just venting here...

I believe there are tasting beers and there are party beers, and as a brewing enthusiast, I appreciate beer on whatever scale or flavor... Although, all dunkelweizens can fall off the face of the earth and I wouldn't lose a wink

(Get it? I put a winky thing at the end of that last sentence because I said "wink" in it)
Cool story man! Tell it again!

Quick Reply