Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > GD Primary Bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #1
NivekD
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Default GD Primary Bucket

So I brewed a batch of Irish Stout yesterday and got it in the primary bucket. Set up the blow off tube and put it in the fermentation chamber (guest shower in the basement). Checked on it last night and no action. No worries, it'll get goin' soon.

Went to bed and checked this morning and still nothing. I could see that the tube had air in it below the water level of the water in my blow off tube so something was happening. I thought that I should have a lot more activity than I was seeing so I started to investigate. Started sniffing around the bucket and could smell beer. AH HA!...a leak. Turns out the lid was leaking and I pushed down on the perimeter of the lid and...viola...bubbles started coming out of the blow off tube. Very happy fermentation.

Been using this bucket for primary for about 26 years and never had a problem. Guess it's time to buy a Better Bottle. So I grabbed some clamps and now everything is good.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
Hackwood
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 116

HAHA Niiiiiiiiice!

Fermenting - Nothing.
Lagering - Nothing.
Secondary - Nothing.
Bottle-aging -Chocolate Stout, Lite Citra Ale and a Citra SmAsH.
In the Fridge - New Castle Brown Ale, Chimay and Milk Stout.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:22 AM   #3
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 160

Even if the lid did allow co2 to escape around the seal there is nothing to worry about. The worst is that you did not see bubbles.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
stevo4361
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have the same problem with one of my lids, doesn't send any bubbles through the airlock. But has not affected the beer at all. I wouldn't let it bother you.

Quick Reply