Gawddamm that's a good beer... just sayin'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smccarter

Reaction score
Did you ever think to yourself after taking a pull off off one of your beers...

"Gawwddaammm That's a good beer!!!!"

?????

Just pulled a pint off a 5 gallon keg of an Irish Red that I've brewed and...

Gawwdddaaaammmmmmm.. that's a good beer!!!!!....

son of a beeaaawwwccchhhhhhh....

If I do say so myself......

Just pulled a pint off a 5 gallon keg of an Irish Red that I've brewed and...

Gawwdddaaaammmmmmm.. that's a good beer!!!!!....

son of a beeaaawwwccchhhhhhh....

If I do say so myself......

Lol yeah there have been a couple of occasions when i said that.....well maybe not exactly that lol but something similar

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

A little better than half of the beers that I have brewed = "gawwddaammm that's a GREAT beer" 45+ batches in 2 1/2 years. Most of the others have been Gawwddammm that is a good beer. Only a couple have been so - so...

Guess I am lucky???

Yep. I've got an ESB on tap right now that gets better and better as the pint warms up a bit. Was just thinking this last night, damn that's a good beer. Wish I could say that about every beer I brewed.

Not as often as my friends say that about my beers...I'm a bit of a perfectionist, but yeah sometimes that is uttered.

No question home brewed beer is good. Even a bad home brewed beer is better than most beer you can buy at the supermarket, but every once in awhile, you brew something special. That's what this thread is about.

We find that others dig them more than we do. So I guess we are our own worse critic. But... most of the time they have been pretty damn good I must say.

Last week I put on the most recent version of my Ordinary Bitter, a beer I've literally been working on for 4 years. It's perfect. It tastes like triumph and the Queen.

Last week I put on the most recent version of my Ordinary Bitter, a beer I've literally been working on for 4 years. It's perfect. It tastes like triumph and the Queen.

Post your recipe... I've got an Ordinary Bitter that I've brewed once. It was really good, but I've brewed it again - in primary, and I have the grain to brew it a third time.

I'm looking for good session beers. This one was pretty good the last time, but I'd like to see if the changes I've made are an improvement.

I've attached my current recipe. Could change.

View attachment OrdinaryBitter.pdf

Yes. I am drinking an IPA I made right now, and I thought to myself "I'm not giving any of this away because it is the best beer I've ever made"

My current IPA is one of those that makes me glad I homebrew. It also just finished in the top 3 at a local competition, so that feels pretty good, too.

No question home brewed beer is good. Even a bad home brewed beer is better than most beer you can buy at the supermarket, but every once in awhile, you brew something special. That's what this thread is about.

I'd have to disagree with your second sentence there. Bad beer is bad beer.

Yeah, brewing that perfect beer keeps us striving to make that next perfect beer. It's like golf. When you hit that perfect shot, it keeps you coming back to play more. I gave up golf!!!!

I'd have to disagree with your second sentence there. Bad beer is bad beer.

I understand completely. Some folks live to disagree.

I've brewed many.. MANY beers. Some of them were "bad", most were pretty good... some have been really good, and a few have been special. I've never brewed a beer that I wouldn't drink before any Budweiser, Coors, or Miller product. Bad beer is purchased by the six pack, the 12 pack, or the case at the local Wal-Mart. Home brewed beer is in a class much higher than that.

Disagree with that.

Bad beer is purchased by the six pack, the 12 pack, or the case at the local Wal-Mart. Home brewed beer is in a class much higher than that.

Disagree with that.

I won't disagree about the class of homebrew but I will respectfully disagree with the comment about Walmart. My experience, as a guy who spent 120+ days last year living out of a suitcase, is that the selection at Walmarts varies based upon what is demanded by the local market. Here in the Killeen, Texas area, the Walmart is 90% BMC swill, but the Walmart in Boise, Idaho where consumers demand better, I found selections from Unita Brewing, Brigeport Brewing, Kona Brewing and many other local and Oregon breweries. Great selection.

FWIW, H.E.B. in Copperas Cove, TX has a very good beer selection.

Yup, I'm usually very happy with my homebrew but my Smoked Porter recipe is ridiculous! I need to make it again soon. I haven't made it since getting my nitro setup, I'll bet that will make the experience even better!

Well then... I guess we're at an impass. How about we just agree to disagree? Shake hands and call it a tie. :)

I guess my point is that if you want your local Wally World to carry better beers, you have to spend some time educating the section manager. He really wants to sell more beer (or at least make better profit). They likely get their beer from the same distributers that your good bottle shop does.:tank:

I've got a really good ordinary bitter... care to share yours?

for some reason, my pdf isn't uploading. I've uploaded many, but this one isn't uploading. Sorry about that. I'll see if I can get it figured out and upload it here for you.

I understand completely. Some folks live to disagree.

I've brewed many.. MANY beers. Some of them were "bad", most were pretty good... some have been really good, and a few have been special. I've never brewed a beer that I wouldn't drink before any Budweiser, Coors, or Miller product. Bad beer is purchased by the six pack, the 12 pack, or the case at the local Wal-Mart. Home brewed beer is in a class much higher than that.

Disagree with that.

BMC are not making bad batches of beer though. It's a little bit ridiculous to say that your homebrew is in a higher class simply because you made it, isn't it?

I just tapped my 5K Brewing Chincade IPA. Here's are my tasting notes:

Gawwwwdammnn!!! That's good beer. I can taste pink grapefruit, oranges and mango. It is light on the tongue and exotic tasting. The 7.7% ABV is like a sledgehammer but you get no alcohol taste or burn. Wow! I am loopy after 2 beers. Color looks right - typical IPA. It is definitely cloudy just like every other beer I have made with 50% Maris Otter - but it tastes clean. Bitterness is smoooootthhhh. I don't know what is is about making a first-wort bittering addition, but it sure makes a smooth tasting beer. Malt sweetness and bitterness seem perfectly balanced.
I aged this beer 5 weeks after dry hopping. This is my typical aging for beer, but the bitterness is so smooth and the flavor and aroma was so bright, I think I could have cut the time in secondary and keg to 3 weeks. Carbonation is a little weak. I did my typical 30 PSI for 3 days and it probably should have been on the pressure a day longer. Still, it will be fine a couple of days from now in the kegerator.

BMC are not making bad batches of beer though. It's a little bit ridiculous to say that your homebrew is in a higher class simply because you made it, isn't it?

Actually....yes they are making bad batches.
When Coors has a bad batch they relabel it as Keystone and sell it vs losing out on profits by dumping it. I'm sure it's done more often than you think.

anyone unsure of their ' Gawwwddddaaam' status...just send me a sample bottle and I will help sort it out. Just want to be here and help my brewing brothers

Actually....yes they are making bad batches.
When Coors has a bad batch they relabel it as Keystone and sell it vs losing out on profits by dumping it. I'm sure it's done more often than you think.

If that was ever done nowadays I admit I would be surprised.Do you have any reference for that info?

I can't say i do. Heard of it long before i even thought about homebrewing.
I'm sure one could google it and find some info on it if one cared enough to do so.

Again I say.... some people live to disagree.

Pour yourself a beer and lighten up a bit.

Again I say.... some people live to disagree.

Pour yourself a beer and lighten up a bit.

If you make an absurd statement and then challenge the guy to disagree, disagreement is what you're looking for, in my opinion

Friday night after work My first 60 shilling Scot was something I was proud of!
:)

Back