Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Gasing keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
sam84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Gasing keg?

I've just gased a keg ready to drink! Now can I put my gas on my other keg finish it and leave the one I have just gased off the gas til I'm ready to drink it??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
DanH
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If you carb it at 12 psi and then disconnect the gas, it should stay at 12psi and the carbonation shouldn't change. I haven't done it for more than a day or two though (usually just to put another keg on 30psi to get a head start). I don't think I would last forever, though, but I wouldn't be afraid to try it.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #3
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam84
I've just gased a keg ready to drink! Now can I put my gas on my other keg finish it and leave the one I have just gased off the gas til I'm ready to drink it??
Only if it's fully carbed and at equilibrium at 12 psi. It takes a while for this to happen, like at least a week. Sounds like you're saying you just hit it with 12 psi and want to disconnect the gas now, but that's not how it works. The beer has to have time to absorb the CO2.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
sam84
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Sorry I have gased it for two days at 260 kpa. Now I ready to drop it back to pouring pressure. Though I don't water to drink it yet cause I already have one half full. So just wondering if I can leave it off gas now til I want to drink it?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Frodo
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 16

it's quite doubtful that 2 days at 37 psi (and I'm assuming around 35 to 40F?) would have allowed the beer to absorb exactly the amount of CO2 to have reached equilibrium at 12 psi at that same temperature. It could have overcarbed, or be undercarbed, or be perfect. You might want to give this a read:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/keg-...strated-73328/

Old 09-21-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
sam84
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thank for that!

Old 09-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 296

Any chance you could pick up a manifold and hook both kegs up at the same time? That way you could get one carbed and leave it hooked up at 12psi and hook up the other keg when it's ready and start carbing it while you begin drinking the other.

I often crank up the pressure right when I start carbing a keg, especially if I've allowed my supply to run dry, but trying to carb to 12 psi by blasting with 30+ psi, then un-hook, carb another keg in the same fashion, then rehook-up the first keg and drop the psi to serving pressure (what, 4psi?) just seems like a major PITA. Get a manifold, get 3/16" serving lines for each keg at around 10' long (you could start with 11 feet and trim back until you get it just right) then you can carb, store and serve your beer at 12psi.

Quick Reply