New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Gainesville, FL

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #1271
ArcaneXor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullenite View Post
Anyone know where I can buy a freezer temp controller without ordering online? My kegerator is on the fritz and I'll be picking up a small chest freezer tomorrow.
They usually have them in stock @ HAW.

Secondary: Flanders Red I
Kegged: 3 different ciders, Janet's Brown, Barrel-aged Stout, Hallertau Blanc Pale Ale
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #1272
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sweet, I'll stop by tomorrow.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:26 AM   #1273
hundy
Recipes 

Anyone know any good, reliable digital thermometers? I'm pretty sure the one I'm using is effed. (Chris, if you read this, I'm the guy that came in Saturday and got the ingredients for the 90 minute clone.) Use beertools pro for my temp calculations and somehow completely over shot my sach temp by 20 degrees. I used the correct amount of boiling water, which I double checked by hand, and unless the boiling temp of water ceased to follow rules at my house, my only conclusion is that the thermometer must be screwed up. Either it was wrong when i shot for my 122 rest or giving me a read of 170 after stepping up, but something doesn't make sense. Unfortunately I freaked out and threw in a bunch of ice cubes to cool it down. Long story short: 63% efficiency when I typically run 88%. bleh. Need something new and digital. Thanks

Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #1274
mrpiper
Recipes 

The swamphead tasting room opened last night. 4 dollar pints of all their brews and they will be selling growlers and bottles in the future. Cool place and the brewery is getting ready to expand.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:58 PM   #1275
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiper View Post
The swamphead tasting room opened last night. 4 dollar pints of all their brews and they will be selling growlers and bottles in the future. Cool place and the brewery is getting ready to expand.
Yep, I was there last night and am going again tonight. If you see me there (skinny guy with tattoos and a big beard) say what's up.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #1276
Chris1272
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I will be in Gainesville visiting some friends this weekend, where are some good places to grab a beer? Last time I was there they took me to a BJ's beer was ok but something more local and unique is what I'm looking for.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #1277
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Alcove and Stubbies are your two best choices.

The Top has a good craft lineup if you want dinner and a good beer.

A new place just opened downtown called Tall Paul's Brewhouse, but I haven't been there yet.

If you are here Friday evening Swamp Head (the local brewery) just opened their tasting room but they are only open 4-7.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 PM   #1278
elmetal
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

^^^^

I say start the night out at the top with a beer. Walk to stubbies and indulge in random foods (mostly german style) and beers then finish at the alcove.

Alcove is last because if you get there before 10 you'll probably be sitting by yourself (or on a random night it will be hipster night at the alcove at 8pm)

but yeah Stubbies Top and Alcove get my votes. I haven't lived there for a few months so I don't know about Tall Paul's but it's worth a shot?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:43 PM   #1279
mrpiper
Recipes 

Went to Tall Paul's last night. 24 taps including all of the regular Swamphead stuff, lots of American craft beers, and their own Alligator Pale Ale (and they were going to have Chimay on tap later in the night). They also do 8 ounce drafts, which I like because I can try a large variety of beer without breaking the bank.

I recommend it as well as the Swamphead tasting room. It's awesome to have 2 great places to drink beer open within a week of eachother.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:28 PM   #1280
mullenite
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpiper View Post
Went to Tall Paul's last night. 24 taps including all of the regular Swamphead stuff, lots of American craft beers, and their own Alligator Pale Ale (and they were going to have Chimay on tap later in the night). They also do 8 ounce drafts, which I like because I can try a large variety of beer without breaking the bank.

I recommend it as well as the Swamphead tasting room. It's awesome to have 2 great places to drink beer open within a week of eachother.
They put the Alligator Pale Ale on at Swamp Head last night, it got mixed reviews but I didn't try it.

Quick Reply