Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so is hoggetowne the only place nearby? I'm just looking for some variety. I mostly shop online but sometimes I need to go to hoggetowne.
also chris, I may have seen you at ale works but I' not sure

so is hoggetowne the only place nearby? I'm just looking for some variety. I mostly shop online but sometimes I need to go to hoggetowne.
also chris, I may have seen you at ale works but I' not sure

Only place nearby that I know of. There's a whole host of new employees that work there now (except for Skip during the week). We're working on doing all sorts of new things in the shop, just got finished working on a new recipe book, and we're working on lower hop prices. He just put some older leave hops on sale for 50 cents an ounce.

Might have seen me up there, I work on the weekends.

Gives me a good opportunity to upload this badass picture. This is me and my water volleyball team (read; drunk guys playing in the pool after band practice). I'm on the left with the womb broom.

Cobra.jpg

oooo the 50 cent hop ounces might come in handy in november when I make an IPA... I dont know... (I already have like 6 batches in line to be made)

There's a couple more. I know I met someone at The Atlantic one night. And I'm good friends with an excellent brewer (who actually works at the Atlantic), he's a member here but doesn't get on much. I can actually think of 2 people that live here that haven't chimed in.

F-Gainesville!!

Winning all of those Championships, hot chicks left and right, kick ass music scene, and the envy of every college football fan in the country...F-that place.

Lane Kiffin was right about everything that he said! Well, except that Urban Meyer is a cheater and that they'd sing Rocky Top all night long...BUT everything else he said was DEAD ON!!!

...spent the best three years of my life there. lol

I'm in SW Gainesville. Havn't been brewing very much recently; working my ass off and have a kid on the way, lol. The office/brew room has been turned into the 'nursery' so I don't have any room for carboys and cases of bottles anymore...:(

Haha, I'm just on hold now. Do you do AG brews? Sadly, due to space issues and cost, never got up to an AG set-up, it's been extract only for me.

I'd be down for lending out my carboys and a helping hand on brew sessions - I'm always down for learning more about brewing and drinking good hb's.

well funny thing. I do all extract also (with steeping grains) but recently I bought a freezer and kegs and I just bought a 10 gallon rubbermaid that I just made into an MLT (literally 30 minutes ago)

I tested my stove and I should be able to do full boils. I have a 8 gallon pot coming in the mail. so I don't do AG yet, but if you look at my sig, after the beers I have coming up, I will do an AG brew.

should be around mid to late october I think. depends on carboys. I have 2 carboys being used right now and a ale pail being used as well. I have a better bottle in the mail so hopefully mid october = first AG brew

if you wanna comeover and join me for a session me and my buddies should be doing an irish red (the quaffable in my sig) this sunday I believe is the planned date.

I would love to borrow a carboy :D I may not need it though since I have 3 altogether now

I don't know if my homebrews are like up to standards to let others drink. lol but you can try and tell me if I've failed.

On a totally separate note, I'll be down in Gainesville the first weekend of October, Staying in the Holiday Inn University (I'm told it's on the corner of University & 13th). No wheels available to me, so I'm looking for some recommendations for brewpubs/places to just sit, relax, have a good beer & a meal that's walking distance. The young guys I'm with will want to go booming, but I'm a married guy that's past that scene.

So if you were going to walk from the hotel to have dinner & a couple beers, maybe get crazy and have more than just a couple and watch sports, like to homebrew, and prefer craft beer, where would you go?

Phrog, best place to go to is Stubbie's & Steins. Good food, and over 350+ beers to choose from. A bit pricey, but a wonderful selection. If you are going Thursday-Saturday, get there a bit early to get a table or a spot a the bar as it does get jam-packed. Not open Sun/Mon. Only a mile or two from your hotel.

http://www.stubbieshirtpub.com/

The site says 255 beers, but last time I was there they had a lot more as they are always expanding their menu.

Phrog, best place to go to is Stubbie's & Steins. Good food, and over 350+ beers to choose from. A bit pricey, but a wonderful selection. If you are going Thursday-Saturday, get there a bit early to get a table or a spot a the bar as it does get jam-packed. Not open Sun/Mon. Only a mile or two from your hotel.

http://www.stubbieshirtpub.com/

The site says 255 beers, but last time I was there they had a lot more as they are always expanding their menu.
I'll have to check it out, thanks! According to Google Maps, it's only .8 miles away - no excuse not to!

Are you spying on me?!? I arrive Thursday night and leave Sunday morning... The trip is on the government dime, we're doing pax lifts in support of UF's NROTC detachment. MAYBE 2 hours of flying per day, and LOTS of hangover recovery time (I mean time off)...

I'm in the NW of Gainesville. Met Chris at Hoggetown Ale Works just the other day. I'm prob the only person who came here without caring about the college or football. There's some really cool places around here, and Stubies is f*cking awesome! Was there last night. Had a dunkleweizen, a kolsch, a wheat doppelbock and it gets hazy after that....

For those of you looking to go AG, we're having a class coming up soon at Hoggetowne. It's free. There's always beer and pizza. I'm usually the guy teaching it. There's a sign up sheet at the shop.

For those of you who haven't tried it yet, head over to the Alcove. It's a new place across from Sharab. It's TINY but awesome. Great prices and a small but great selection. I'm going there tonight with the owner of Hoggetowne.

Alcove Specials:
$4.50 Cigar City Maduro Brown Drafts
$4.00 Sierra Nevada Fresh Hop Drafts

I had the Cigar City Jai Alai IPA there, one of the best IPA's I've had. Great atmosphere and service. One of the bartenders actually started brewing a few weeks ago.

We really should get together and drink each other's beer and shoot the ****.

Not really sure yet. I think he was planning on whenever the game with LSU was, but then decided against it. But then he thought of doing it next day (Sunday). I'll ask him tonight.

BTW, I work all day Saturday 12-7. Stop by if you get a chance, bring some beer. I always try to have something of mine on tap.

I also may stop by to get some stuff. I stopped by today to get that 50 cent an ounce willamette

glad to see activity on this thread. And I learned of that new alcove and stubbies

where's alcove?

I also may stop by to get some stuff. I stopped by today to get that 50 cent an ounce willamette

glad to see activity on this thread. And I learned of that new alcove and stubbies

where's alcove?

It's across from Sharab Lounge, down the strip from that new SCORES bar.

I also talked with Barron last night and I think the class is gonna be next weekend (not this coming weekend). I could be totally wrong, though. I was pretty drunk.

Also, don't be surprised if you walk in the shop and I don't have a shirt on. I lost a bet about Diamond Rio last night.

I probably lost more brain cells in in Gainesville than I recruited through higher learning.

Brew Class is Oct. 11th ! Free Food. Free Homebrew. Bring some of yours, too!

Sorry, phrogpilot73. But if you're in town over the weekend we could meet up at the shop and share some beers. Maybe get some more people from the board up there.

Oh man. I won't have anything ready by then. The hefe is nearly finished and the esb was just kegged yesterday and it needs aging

I feel terrible going empty handed.

Oh man. I won't have anything ready by then. The hefe is nearly finished and the esb was just kegged yesterday and it needs aging

I feel terrible going empty handed.

Bring the ESB. It'll be fine, you still got a couple weeks. You should taste the beers Barron does. They emptied a keg of a beer last weekend that was only 4.5 days from flameout.

Hell, working in a homebrew shop, you learn to find the good in someone's beer. It helps when they're standing right in front of you waiting for a response. Got to work one day (had just woken up) and had a prehopped extract IPA waiting for me when I got there. Had to drink the whole thing in front of the guy. That was tough. Morning IPA with no hop characteristics.

*Note: I'm not saying good beers can't come from extract.

I remember the guy who use to work there told me a story of where a man brought in his beer and wanted to know what was wrong with it. So of course he gets a cup out to try it. Pours ... *sniffs* ... then says, "Ok, I'm not drinking that, what did you do?"

Turns out the guy poured all of his ingredients into the carboy and put the top on it. No boil, just opened up everything, threw it all in (grains, extract, hops, yeast), then bottled it.

Another guy made a 100% Wheat beer. That's it, just wheat and yeast.

I guess some people don't take hydrometer samples.

Back