Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 10:50 PM   #71
hotbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

I live in Georgia so there is a lot of misinformation going around in this state. I was once at a bar in the boonies and asked if they have any craft beer on tap. The hot redneck waitress replied "our new one is Red Hare lager" (which is actually a new craft brewer in the state) and I was very surprised.

As much **** as we talk about Blue Moon and Shock Top, I think they serve a great purpose. They lay the ground work so that people can get into micro brews. Getting drinkers over the initial light lager hurdle is huge even if it's an American style hefe.

On Twitter @hotbrew

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm a lil preocupied with worrying about being killed by the mob because a homeless priest ran off with all of our drugs!"

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #72
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2718 Times on 1774 Posts
Likes Given: 359

I have a friend who over the years has provided me with inner laughter and sometimes frustration with what he says about beer. One time I had him try a Hoegaarden and he made this horrible face and said "that's like, not even beer!" and then he went back to drinking his bud lite. He started coming around to craft beer a couple years ago. I gave him a Left Hand Milk Stout and he liked it but said he could taste the milk in it. Even my wife whose only knowledge of beer is what I ramble on about to her got a kick out of that comment. I was talking one day about some fruit beers I like and some I was brewing and he told me " I don't care for fruit beer, I like more traditional beer." I didn't even bother explaining anything about "tradition" to him. Now he's on a kick of drinking Black Butte Porter and 1554 and thinks he knows everything about "dark" beer and acts like he invented the act of drinking dark beer. He says he likes beers that have a "chocolate finish". He uses that term to describe every stout or porter he buys. Chocolate finish this, chocolate finish that. I don't know where he got that term from but it drives me crazy every time I hear it!

Long story short, Beer.

People Like This 
Old 08-15-2012, 12:07 AM   #73
November
...relax...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 16

A lady at a bar once explained how dark beers get their taste compared to light beers. Its because they cook them longer. When I asked for details, she explained that the light lager she was drinking was such because it was cold brewed and thus not cooked at all. My wife and I enjoyed her remarks so much, that I paid her tab before I left.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #74
hotbrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 2 Posts

Another anecdote, my brother got into craft beers way after the rest of our friends and I did. My buddy and I were discussing the merits of his new homebrew when my brother chimes in, "hey, I like this! Does this have any barley in it? It doesn't taste like it has any barley in it."

We both gave him a blank stare and then continued our conversation. He still says random **** like that all the time.

On Twitter @hotbrew

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm a lil preocupied with worrying about being killed by the mob because a homeless priest ran off with all of our drugs!"

People Like This 
Old 08-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #75
shaneogle89
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotbrew View Post
Another anecdote, my brother got into craft beers way after the rest of our friends and I did. My buddy and I were discussing the merits of his new homebrew when my brother chimes in, "hey, I like this! Does this have any barley in it? It doesn't taste like it has any barley in it."

We both gave him a blank stare and then continued our conversation. He still says random **** like that all the time.
Haha I actually got a good laugh off that one!

Old 08-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #76
Billybrewer09
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

My neighbor came over while i was brewing one day, and asked if i brewed ales or lagers. I told him i didnt have the set up to lager yet. He then tells me that all i have to do is freeze it, then let it thaw.
He has also told me that coors wont freeze because it is cold brewed, and ales are darker than lagers.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:19 AM   #77
StainlessBrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Remember those bitter beer face commercials?

People Like This 
Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 AM   #78
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 237 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 446

a comment on one on my lite beers:

"You must have rebrewed this 4 times, it has way more hops than miller and thats triple hopped, I didn't know an individuals could buy hops in bulk like breweries."

(a grand total of 1oz hallertau and 1oz saaz)

Old 08-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #79
seefish
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Couple years back, my buddies and I were at the local brewpub when some chick walked over. Obviously drunk, she asked my buddy if he would buy her a beer...he refused but allowed her to try the hefe he had been drinking. She tried a sip and then stepped back with a disgusted face and said Ewwww! That's fat Beer! And walked away....

Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 PM   #80
EnjoyGoodBeer
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybrewer09
My neighbor came over while i was brewing one day, and asked if i brewed ales or lagers. I told him i didnt have the set up to lager yet. He then tells me that all i have to do is freeze it, then let it thaw.
He has also told me that coors wont freeze because it is cold brewed, and ales are darker than lagers.
*smirk and shaking head in dissapointment

Quick Reply