Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 01:56 AM   #781
Skeptidelphian
Hidden River Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 110

Brought some SNPA to a Christmas party. My uncle goes, "oh wow, you like that dark beer."

I let it go. Later he starts talking about cocktails. Then after a few. I decided to correct his remark. I asked him what his favorite beer was. Heineken. I told him I could brew Heineken with a half pound of debittered black malt and it would taste pretty much the same. His revelation, "so you're telling me it's the malt and not the color that had to do with flavor?"

He's learning by Jove!

Conditioning: Nothing
On Tap: All-American Pale Ale
In the Works: College Cider, Exposition IPA, Schuylkill Navy Stout, Poplar Street Pumpkin Ale,
metanoia Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #782
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Brought a ton of homebrew to a family Christmas party. My brother and I are chatting and drinking pints of Haus Pale Ale, a very light-looking beer.

My BMC-drinking cousin sees it, and asks what it is. I explain it's homebrew, and offer him some. He says, "No thanks, I don't have the taste for it. It would be wasted on me."

Hmm, didn't think they would realize they don't know good beer. Only one way to correct that, though... Hate to see people not taking the red pill.

DiscipleofDionysus Likes This 
Old 12-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #783
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 960 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullface1818 View Post
I one heard a friend say that wine was way healthier than beer, and I laughed at her

Idk, I thought that that was rather funny ^_^
Red wine actually does have some health benefits. Provided you don't drink it in excess. Though it is not entirely clear if it is actually more beneficial then other kinds of alcohol.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #784
nmfree
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullface1818 View Post
I one heard a friend say that wine was way healthier than beer, and I laughed at her
That's why I drink both- why take any chances?

Home of the world's first Yoctobrewery- brewing beer one sip at a time.

People Like This 
Old 12-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #785
Brewskey
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I live in South Alabama where there are only 3 types of beer; bud light, coors light and miller lite. Anyway, I was sharing some homebrew IPAs with family during Christmas dinner today and got many comments about it "being good for a dark beer" etc... But to top it all off my Grandpa tells me that I need to let my barley sprout first so that it can "make its own yeast". I don't bother trying to explain anymore.....

Oh! And my step dad asked me if Yuengling was a Chinese beer!

Old 12-26-2012, 05:11 AM   #786
sirmeowsalot
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

A guy at a table next to me at a craft beer pub asks the waiter "what do you recommend for a guy who likes drinking ales and lagers?"

I could tell the waiter was trying pretty hard to keep a straight face especially after I started snickering softly lol.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:26 AM   #787
punkrockdave
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I made some beer for my step daughters wedding back in September. One was an Anderson Valley Summer Solstice Cervesa and a Blue Berry ale. They were handed out as paty favors after the ceremony, overheard by the mother of the bride a guy says, "blueberry beer? I'll make sure the girl friend gets that ". This coming from a guy that was at the pool party the day before drinking a Bud Light out of an aluminum bottle.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #788
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskey View Post
But to top it all off my Grandpa tells me that I need to let my barley sprout first so that it can "make its own yeast". I don't bother trying to explain anymore.....
That is interesting because I was watching Moonshiners the other day and two of the guys were malting their own barley and using that in the mash because the price of corn was up due to a drought. The guy said something along the lines of the barley acting like the yeast. I was utterly confused. The only thing I could think of was that by letting the barley malt out in the sun for a few days, it would pick up some wild yeasts, which would in turn be used to ferment the mash.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #789
Lgaddy44
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
That is interesting because I was watching Moonshiners the other day and two of the guys were malting their own barley and using that in the mash because the price of corn was up due to a drought. The guy said something along the lines of the barley acting like the yeast. I was utterly confused. The only thing I could think of was that by letting the barley malt out in the sun for a few days, it would pick up some wild yeasts, which would in turn be used to ferment the mash.
I too, find myself scratching my head on this one, and thought it might be wild yeast as well. I'm skeptical as to how much of these shows are really scripted. I don't watch them regularly, but sometimes I'll turn it on just to hate on them.

Last night I watched "Hillbilly Blood" for the first time. These two guys trekked into the woods carrying what looked to be about 5 gallons of their mash, so they could make a batch of moonshine. After a treacherous hike, and taking all of their hazardous precautions, they set up their "still". They simply covered the coil with some damp cloth, and that miraculously did the trick (makes me wonder why Tickle and the boys go through so much trouble, lol). At the end, they said they netted 8 quarts of hooch. From a 5 gallon bucket of mash? 8 quarts? Something in that math doesn't add up for me, but then again, I don't make moonshine.

Maverick Moon Miner Brewing

Old 12-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #790
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 345 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I've found the show has little to do with the science of brewing and distilling and more to do with what some backwoods distillers think is happening in their stuff. I saw the episode with them grinding their homemade malt too and when they said they grind it really fine so the malt flour could act as yeast for the mash I thought, "Oh great! There's another error people are going to be taking as science."

Quick Reply