Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #61
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS Brew View Post
I had a similar experience on a brewery tour, although it was not a brewer giving the tour.

The tour leader kept repeating that dry hopping made beer more bitter, I kept repeating that it didn't, and nobody else on the tour really gave a damn.
They just wanted to be told something they didn't already know...whether it was right or wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #62
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 18

My brother actually knows his beers fairly well and drinks the good stuff, but he swears up and down that he hates lagers. I always have to remind him that you can't just say that. It doesn't work that way. There are great Marzens and black lagers (etc.) that are not only fantastic, but can also be quite indistinguishable from ales. Then he calls me a beer snob.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #63
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Ugh I do hate getting "Ale" when I ask what kind of beer something is. Doubly so if it's at a "beer bar".

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #64
turvis
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

I was told Belgians don't make real beer because they are to fruity. As the guy was pouring a Franz hefe dunkle. I will have to admit I giggled inside.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #65
neko
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Continuing with the whole "ale" thing. I was reading the description for a brewfest and it said something like, "You'll find a variety of beers. From IPAs to ales..." It's one thing for a person to confuse things, but a brewfest?

Ring ding dong. Ring a ding-ding-ding dong

"We have invented the world's largest laser system" -Ahnold

Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #66
shaneogle89
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyGoodBeer View Post
Yup and shock top is awful. Smack in the face for real beers. But the yuppies dig it up like BUd Light 6%. So sad. But hey more good beer fkr the Real Ale drinkers.
Shock top is awful! But my friends who drink BMC think it's the Sh*t. Hey to each his own, but I'm happy with my IPA's

Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #67
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 169 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, because it's highly likely that I said something like that during my younger days. What I dislike, though, is if someone who says something like that is a jerk.

I do get bothered sometimes by the, "I prefer lagers." Or, "I don't like dark/hoppy beers." Then again, these are just people who have very novice-level beer terminology. If we didn't talk to them, the likelihood of them attempting to describe their likes would be greatly reduced.
Yeah, the guy who taught me how to brew beer asked me what kind of beer I liked and I said, "Oh, I don't know, I mostly like ales and lagers." He didn't say anything, but he certainly made a face.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #68
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't get the hatred for Shocktop and Blue Moon. I'm quite fond of both of them, despite knowing that they're owned by the big international conglomerates so often called "BMC"...
It doesn't change the fact that they are easy drinking beers with some actual flavor- the fact that they're offered in so many bars and restaurants now does amazing things for "real" craft beer.

If you don't care for them, that's your opinion and prerogative, but that doesn't make them foul just because you say so, no matter how loudly or often.
Hell, I drank Blue Moon for a while as I was dipping my toes into craft beer, and it's what gave me the confidence to try imported belgians and other superficially similar beers like hefe's- cloudy beer is almost scary when all you've been exposed to is fizzy yellow water.

I'm by no means an expert, but I know a lot more now because I was introduced to the rest of the beer world.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #69
sethcros
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[QUOTE=Raenon;4330872]I don't get the hatred for Shocktop and Blue Moon. I'm quite fond of both of them, despite knowing that they're owned by the big international conglomerates so often called "BMC"...
It doesn't change the fact that they are easy drinking beers with some actual flavor- the fact that they're offered in so many bars and restaurants now does amazing things for "real" craft beer.

If you don't care for them, that's your opinion and prerogative, but that doesn't make them foul just because you say so, no matter how loudly or often.
Hell, I drank Blue Moon for a while as I was dipping my toes into craft beer, and it's what gave me the confidence to try imported belgians and other superficially similar beers like hefe's- cloudy beer is almost scary when all you've been exposed to is fizzy yellow water.

I'm by no means an expert, but I know a lot more now because I was introduced to the rest of the beer world.

Exactly. And it seems to me that there are an awful lot of requests for a Blue Moon clone recipe...

Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #70
shaneogle89
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Like I said to each his own, I just don't prefer them myself. Personally they taste like fake oranges. But if you like it go ahead and drink it. If it's what go you into craft brewery then GREAT! Like I said I personally don't like them.

Quick Reply