Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 08:41 PM   #61
tre9er
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 4,372
Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS Brew View Post
I had a similar experience on a brewery tour, although it was not a brewer giving the tour.

The tour leader kept repeating that dry hopping made beer more bitter, I kept repeating that it didn't, and nobody else on the tour really gave a damn.
They just wanted to be told something they didn't already know...whether it was right or wrong!
__________________

_________________________________
Skal!
Den Faaborg Bryggeri

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
tre9er is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #62
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Cali
Posts: 798
Liked 100 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Default

My brother actually knows his beers fairly well and drinks the good stuff, but he swears up and down that he hates lagers. I always have to remind him that you can't just say that. It doesn't work that way. There are great Marzens and black lagers (etc.) that are not only fantastic, but can also be quite indistinguishable from ales. Then he calls me a beer snob.

__________________
Everyone's always in favor of saving Hitler's brain but when you put it in the body of a great white shark, oooooh, suddenly you've gone too far.
ICWiener is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #63
rifraf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicagoish, Illinois
Posts: 1,961
Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default

Ugh I do hate getting "Ale" when I ask what kind of beer something is. Doubly so if it's at a "beer bar".

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SittingDuck
Even ales take too long. I need something I can ferment during the boil and drink from the kettle!
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.
rifraf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 09:06 PM   #64
turvis
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 195
Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts

Default

I was told Belgians don't make real beer because they are to fruity. As the guy was pouring a Franz hefe dunkle. I will have to admit I giggled inside.

__________________
turvis is offline
frolic Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #65
neko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 572
Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Default

Continuing with the whole "ale" thing. I was reading the description for a brewfest and it said something like, "You'll find a variety of beers. From IPAs to ales..." It's one thing for a person to confuse things, but a brewfest?

__________________

Ring ding dong. Ring a ding-ding-ding dong

"We have invented the world's largest laser system" -Ahnold

neko is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 PM   #66
shaneogle89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 106
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyGoodBeer View Post
Yup and shock top is awful. Smack in the face for real beers. But the yuppies dig it up like BUd Light 6%. So sad. But hey more good beer fkr the Real Ale drinkers.
Shock top is awful! But my friends who drink BMC think it's the Sh*t. Hey to each his own, but I'm happy with my IPA's
__________________
shaneogle89 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #67
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Gameface's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 1,019
Liked 169 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 230

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanThomas View Post
I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, because it's highly likely that I said something like that during my younger days. What I dislike, though, is if someone who says something like that is a jerk.

I do get bothered sometimes by the, "I prefer lagers." Or, "I don't like dark/hoppy beers." Then again, these are just people who have very novice-level beer terminology. If we didn't talk to them, the likelihood of them attempting to describe their likes would be greatly reduced.
Yeah, the guy who taught me how to brew beer asked me what kind of beer I liked and I said, "Oh, I don't know, I mostly like ales and lagers." He didn't say anything, but he certainly made a face.
__________________
Gameface is online now
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #68
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: York, PA
Posts: 425
Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

I don't get the hatred for Shocktop and Blue Moon. I'm quite fond of both of them, despite knowing that they're owned by the big international conglomerates so often called "BMC"...
It doesn't change the fact that they are easy drinking beers with some actual flavor- the fact that they're offered in so many bars and restaurants now does amazing things for "real" craft beer.

If you don't care for them, that's your opinion and prerogative, but that doesn't make them foul just because you say so, no matter how loudly or often.
Hell, I drank Blue Moon for a while as I was dipping my toes into craft beer, and it's what gave me the confidence to try imported belgians and other superficially similar beers like hefe's- cloudy beer is almost scary when all you've been exposed to is fizzy yellow water.

I'm by no means an expert, but I know a lot more now because I was introduced to the rest of the beer world.

__________________
Raenon is offline
17
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 10:06 PM   #69
sethcros
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 100
Liked 23 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

[QUOTE=Raenon;4330872]I don't get the hatred for Shocktop and Blue Moon. I'm quite fond of both of them, despite knowing that they're owned by the big international conglomerates so often called "BMC"...
It doesn't change the fact that they are easy drinking beers with some actual flavor- the fact that they're offered in so many bars and restaurants now does amazing things for "real" craft beer.

If you don't care for them, that's your opinion and prerogative, but that doesn't make them foul just because you say so, no matter how loudly or often.
Hell, I drank Blue Moon for a while as I was dipping my toes into craft beer, and it's what gave me the confidence to try imported belgians and other superficially similar beers like hefe's- cloudy beer is almost scary when all you've been exposed to is fizzy yellow water.

I'm by no means an expert, but I know a lot more now because I was introduced to the rest of the beer world.


Exactly. And it seems to me that there are an awful lot of requests for a Blue Moon clone recipe...

__________________
sethcros is offline
4
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #70
shaneogle89
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 106
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Like I said to each his own, I just don't prefer them myself. Personally they taste like fake oranges. But if you like it go ahead and drink it. If it's what go you into craft brewery then GREAT! Like I said I personally don't like them.

__________________
shaneogle89 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need a funny beer saying!!! dcodd87 General Beer Discussion 50 04-22-2014 01:03 PM
Funny Beer Commercials KeyWestBrewing General Beer Discussion 0 06-16-2012 05:38 AM
Funny Beer Commercial doctorRobert General Beer Discussion 1 06-09-2011 06:51 PM
The funny things you find on Craigslist briguy General Beer Discussion 9 02-12-2011 10:44 PM
32 things you can do with beer ayrton General Beer Discussion 9 03-26-2007 08:38 PM