Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #651
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Tonight at a restaurant with fairly standard (aka bad) beer selection, my wife ordered a Stella Artois. After about 10 minutes the waiter came back and said "I'm sorry ma'am. What was the name of the wine you ordered again?" :facepalm: I figured Stella was pretty standard but I guess not.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 02:59 AM   #652
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 962 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
I figure that people drinking "the stuff on the bottom" will ultimately lead to the Zombie Apocalypse. we should be immune from the many years handling yeast. brewers with beards should be able to command zombies by way of thought alone.
This bears investigation. I should have gnome something like this would arise...

Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #653
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Yeast don't convert you into a zombie. That is preposterous.

I thought this was a serious discussion.

Consumption of an entire yeast cake would not make you die, though you might want to.....for upon the next Friday evening at 8:43pm you will transform into a half man half pig monstrosity which will become the bane of your community. Yep, yeast is were-pig juice.....and god knows we don't need more of those.(except for a few obscure beer recipes)

Old 12-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #654
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Yeast don't convert you into a zombie.

Consumption of an entire yeast cake would not make you die...
True. I used to save the slurry in the fridge and mix it with OJ in the morning. Yeast is a superfood you know. Also nice in Belgian waffles.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #655
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1641 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
True. I used to save the slurry in the fridge and mix it with OJ in the morning. Yeast is a superfood you know. Also nice in Belgian waffles.
Mmmmmm waffles....SUPERGOOD!!

Mmmmmmm yeast slurry...OJ..... SUPERPUKE!!!

Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM   #656
ArrogantDusty
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I try not to correct people unless they are my closer friends and most of them know about beer now because of me. We were all there once and it is hard not to come off like a beer snob when talking to strangers.

The Guinness meal in a glass thing messes with me though. I just don't understand how a sane person can really think there are like 500 or whatever calories in such an easy drinking beverage.

I tried for a time to correct this by showing them the calories on my smart phone and tell them it is like drinking a bud heavy (that's what they lovingly call Budweiser here in St Louis). It's always a shock somehow and they say that they think the Guinness that they brew in Ireland is different then and that is like a meal in a glass. whatever...I have given up. I just have them try my actual heavy stout or IPA and watch their faces.

About a month ago, I was out with some friends and had someone in the group question my choice on ordering an IPA. He kind of did it loud enough that it was like calling me out in front of the group. He said, "I thought you were a beer guy, don't you brew?" I said I did. He asked why I was drinking a "pale beer" then. He of course had a Guinness in front of him and said that he figured that I would be drinking the same.

I told him that I was a fan of most beer styles and do enjoy Guinness, but wanted something a bit heavier. I chose these words on purpose because the little devil on my shoulder knew that it would set him off and he was already kind of being a jackass. He of course mentioned the meal in a glass and the color as proof that Guinness was the heaviest beer. I had him right where I wanted him.

I politely disagreed and told him that he could decide for himself and bought him one of what I was drinking, unfortunately for him, I was drinking a Stone Ruination...

The mingled look of horror and embarrassment that went over his face was well worth the price of a beer. He kept with it and tried to keep drinking it but in the end could not. He gave me the fact that it was a hard beer to drink but still said that it was just because it was a bad beer. He said that no one would drink that beer. We were at a craft beer lover bar so I pointed out how often the Stone beers were being poured.

I then told him since he didn't like bitter beers, he should try what my girlfriend was drinking, if he liked stouts, he would probably like it too. I guess I am the jackass at this point because she was drinking 2nd Shift Liquid Spiritual Delight. After that, he conceded that he didn't know as much as he thought but still blamed others for his faulty info.

Since then, he ha been trying a lot of beers though so that worked out alright. The only problem is, a well informed jackass is worse because he'll probably pull my trick on others who are less deserving.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #657
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrogantDusty View Post
I try not to correct people unless they are my closer friends and most of them know about beer now because of me. We were all there once and it is hard not to come off like a beer snob when talking to strangers.

The Guinness meal in a glass thing messes with me though. I just don't understand how a sane person can really think there are like 500 or whatever calories in such an easy drinking beverage.

I tried for a time to correct this by showing them the calories on my smart phone and tell them it is like drinking a bud heavy (that's what they lovingly call Budweiser here in St Louis). It's always a shock somehow and they say that they think the Guinness that they brew in Ireland is different then and that is like a meal in a glass. whatever...I have given up. I just have them try my actual heavy stout or IPA and watch their faces.

About a month ago, I was out with some friends and had someone in the group question my choice on ordering an IPA. He kind of did it loud enough that it was like calling me out in front of the group. He said, "I thought you were a beer guy, don't you brew?" I said I did. He asked why I was drinking a "pale beer" then. He of course had a Guinness in front of him and said that he figured that I would be drinking the same.

I told him that I was a fan of most beer styles and do enjoy Guinness, but wanted something a bit heavier. I chose these words on purpose because the little devil on my shoulder knew that it would set him off and he was already kind of being a jackass. He of course mentioned the meal in a glass and the color as proof that Guinness was the heaviest beer. I had him right where I wanted him.

I politely disagreed and told him that he could decide for himself and bought him one of what I was drinking, unfortunately for him, I was drinking a Stone Ruination...

The mingled look of horror and embarrassment that went over his face was well worth the price of a beer. He kept with it and tried to keep drinking it but in the end could not. He gave me the fact that it was a hard beer to drink but still said that it was just because it was a bad beer. He said that no one would drink that beer. We were at a craft beer lover bar so I pointed out how often the Stone beers were being poured.

I then told him since he didn't like bitter beers, he should try what my girlfriend was drinking, if he liked stouts, he would probably like it too. I guess I am the jackass at this point because she was drinking 2nd Shift Liquid Spiritual Delight. After that, he conceded that he didn't know as much as he thought but still blamed others for his faulty info.

Since then, he ha been trying a lot of beers though so that worked out alright. The only problem is, a well informed jackass is worse because he'll probably pull my trick on others who are less deserving.
Epic.

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #658
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2135 Times on 1528 Posts
Likes Given: 1172

People never believe me when I tell them Guinness is actually a fairly light beer if you aren't considering color. But then if their beer isn't the color of a well-hydrated man's urine, they are afraid of it around here.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:11 PM   #659
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
People never believe me when I tell them Guinness is actually a fairly light beer if you aren't considering color.
I believe you!

Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #660
BigTuna
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan_L View Post
guess the BMC crowd has 2 categories, light beer (fizzy yellow water) and guiness (anything darker than urine)
Haha, this is the truth. I just had my good friend over for some first pours of a brown ale I did and he brought a friend. When I poured the beer, mind you, BROWN ALE the friend of my friend said "OHHH, IT'S LIKE GUINESS!" I had to contain myself, not from laughter but from being extremely sarcastic haha. I just told him, Not every dark beer is guiness.

Quick Reply