Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #611
OhReally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

I was in a McCormick and Schmick's a couple weeks ago, and on the beer menu they had a Domestic list, an Import list, and then in wee little lettering down at the bottom it says "Local Craft Brews Also Available". I live just across the river from DC, so I thought "Sweet! Maybe they've got Port City, or DC Brau, or Lost Rhino, or Flying Dog or somesuch."

When I asked the waiter what they had, he said "Yuengling."

And Pottsville, PA is local to DC... how?... ;-D

I just smiled nicely and ordered a Guinness.

You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
-Bob Dylan

Primary: -
Secondary: -
Bottled: Ex-Pat 1800 English IPA
Drinking: Black IPA, Hoppiness is an IPA, Port O' Palmer Robust Porter, Nae Foolish Wee Heavy, Devil's Milk barley wine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #612
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
When I asked the waiter what they had, he said "Yuengling."

And Pottsville, PA is local to DC... how?... ;-D
I can understand that Pennsylvania is close to DC, therefore any beer brewed in PA is a local beer....if yuengling was only brewed in PA....

But I don't know if I understand how they call it a craft beer...

Old 12-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #613
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3989 View Post
it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
I was in a McCormick and Schmick's
wow... not even DC Brau?

if you can handle the drive out to Dulles, there is a restaurant in Ashburn called Ford's Fish Shack with some awesome seafood and local and not-so-local craft brews, including DC Brau and Lost Rhino

Lost Rhino is close enough you can see the brewery from the Shack.

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #614
Raenon
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3989 View Post
I can understand that Pennsylvania is close to DC, therefore any beer brewed in PA is a local beer....if yuengling was only brewed in PA....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
it's not.
Who determines what is or is not "craft"?
I know some of the folks on here have tried to duplicate the flavor of yuengling and have used a lot of adjuncts, but that doesn't mean they use them in the original recipe (even if they did, plenty of beers use adjuncts- see cream ale, many belgian varieties...)

I'd also point out that in many western states, they'd refer to anything within state as being local, and Pottsville is closer to DC than many of those situations.
So do you determine that yuengling isn't local because they opened a second brewery to serve Florida, or they aren't craft because of that?

The entire "craft" distinction is pretty hazy, and "local" is worse... but I really get a kick out of the fact that OhReally chose, as an alternative to "local, craft" Yuengling, an imported macrobrew.

ETA: I'll point out that I personally wouldn't state categorically that Yuengling IS either local to DC or craft, but I see where others might actually make the argument, so I'm playing devil's advocate. A nearly 200 year old institution that's still family owned deserves more consideration than the quick dismissal that so many give it.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #615
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 857 Times on 596 Posts
Likes Given: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
Who determines what is or is not "craft"?
brewers do

Yuengling produces 2.5 million barrels a year, the largest US-owned commercial brewery in the US

the American Brewers Association defines a "craft brewery" as "small, independent and traditional", and gives a production size of less than 6,000,000 US beer barrels (700,000,000 L) a year and can not be more than 24% owned by another alcoholic beverage company that is not itself a craft brewery

(corrected production volume, original was 2005 #, updated with 2011)

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #616
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Reinheitsgebot is crap. There is little reason to include that adjunct stipulation.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 PM   #617
OhReally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post

if you can handle the drive out to Dulles, there is a restaurant in Ashburn called Ford's Fish Shack with some awesome seafood and local and not-so-local craft brews, including DC Brau and Lost Rhino

Lost Rhino is close enough you can see the brewery from the Shack.

Thanks for this suggestion. Sounds pretty tasty and I'll definitely be checking it out. Easy enough drive.

As for Raenon's
"but I really get a kick out of the fact that OhReally chose, as an alternative to "local, craft" Yuengling, an imported macrobrew."

What can I say? It's my old fallback when nothing else strikes my fancy. There's nothing necessarily wrong with Yuengling, but I just wasn't in the mood for Pennsylvania that night, I guess.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #618
OhReally
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post

I'd also point out that in many western states, they'd refer to anything within state as being local, and Pottsville is closer to DC than many of those situations.
And just for the record, if it takes more than an hour on the highway to drive to, then for me it's not "local." Regional, maybe, in a "Mid-Atlantic States" kinda way. I'd consider Yuengling regional in the same way Dogfish Head is.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #619
Nightshade
Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 210

After having a meeting regarding beer, brewing and how to discuss beer like you know something, not more than a day or two later I hear one of our waitresses explaning what "full continuation" is. I didn't correct her in front of the customer but politely informed her it is attenuation not continuation.

Just goes to show that sometimes a little knowledge can be a scary thing.

Catch the next Triple Barrel Brewcast Broadcasting now 4/1/13 tune in and enjoy
Twitter: @3bblcast

Old 12-14-2012, 08:04 PM   #620
rodwha
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 53

"And just for the record, if it takes more than an hour on the highway to drive to, then for me it's not "local." Regional, maybe, in a "Mid-Atlantic States" kinda way."

I kinda thought everything on the upper east coast was local... jk

It certainly seems that way from where I am. I'm in the center of Texas and it takes virtually all day to get out of this place! Was kinda nice when we stopped in Belmar, NJ, but visited NYC, as well as Annapolis, MD and it didn't take all day!

And it can take an hour and a half (one way) to get good BBQ.

"Anyway on the wall was this sign. People who drink light beer don't really like beer. They just like to piss a lot."

"Were I to leave where else would I go? Your words of life and of truth You hold." - Third Day
mikesr71 Likes This 

Quick Reply