Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #51
octo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Overheard this gem of information, "The difference between an IPA and a red is that the hops are cooked longer in the red than they are in the IPA" ..............

Old 08-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #52
CGVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 381 Times on 249 Posts
Likes Given: 276

"Bock beer is the darker beer that they take from the bottom of the barrel"

Spoken by CGVT sometime around 1980...

"Filled with mingled cream and amber I will drain that glass again. Such hilarious visions clamber through the chambers of my brain--Quaintest thoughts--queerest fancies come to life and fade away; Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today"-Edgar Alan Poe

My Keezer build: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/keez...y-turn-340755/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium View Post
Do what you like, brew what you like. Don't be a tool.
Chrisbrewbeers Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #53
MisterTipsy
Recipes 

Liked 224 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Just yesterday one of my relatives said his favorite types of beer are stouts and ales. :facepalm:

Yo Mark, stouts are ales.

:crickets:

Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #54
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
This thread took a turn. It's one thing to post amusing things people have said, but it's another to look down your nose at people who like beer you feel is beneath you. Remember guys, there's a big difference between beer enthusiast and beer snob.
My thing is people who act like they're above BMC drinkers because they drink Blue Moon...who think that it's vastly superior in quality to BMC, etc. They're the ones being snobs, I'm merely pointing out they're really not drinking that great of beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:09 PM   #55
octo
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTipsy View Post
Just yesterday one of my relatives said his favorite types of beer are stouts and ales. :facepalm:
I hear this almost daily.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:14 PM   #56
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterTipsy View Post

Yo Mark, stouts are ales.

:crickets:
I have to admit I didn't really know the difference at one point. Even if I knew Lagers and Ales, I couldn't tell you which a beer was unless it was printed on it. Once Budweiser started saying "The Great American Lager" I knew that all crappy light beers were "lagers" and I knew Bass was an ale, Harp was a lager, etc. because they printed it on the label!

I don't fault people for that because I figured you'd have to be obsessed with beer to know those things back then. It is funny to hear people act like they know the difference, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
People Like This 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #57
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I was getting a tour at a brewery by their newest brewer. He later admitted he'd never homebrewed, and was still learning but these was the answer to one question:

The difference between dry hopping and wet hopping is that wet hopping is with pellets and dry hopping is with whole hops.

He later told me that his first beer he made the recipe for himself was about to come on tap and he really likes super bitter beers so he dry hopped the **** out of it at the end...

You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.
microbusbrewery Likes This 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #58
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
"Bock beer is the darker beer that they take from the bottom of the barrel"
That one is actually fairly common. My grandpa-in-law always tells me that the breweries "scrape the bottom of the barrels" and make their bocks with that stuff. Although he says that's why bocks are seasonal, because the brewery only does this at the end of the year.

I don't know. I want to tell him the truth, but he's such a nice old man, I can't bring myself to correct him.
People Like This 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 PM   #59
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
I was getting a tour at a brewery by their newest brewer. He later admitted he'd never homebrewed, and was still learning but these was the answer to one question:

The difference between dry hopping and wet hopping is that wet hopping is with pellets and dry hopping is with whole hops.
I had a similar experience on a brewery tour, although it was not a brewer giving the tour.

The tour leader kept repeating that dry hopping made beer more bitter, I kept repeating that it didn't, and nobody else on the tour really gave a damn.

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe
People Like This 
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #60
rifraf
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS Brew

I had a similar experience on a brewery tour, although it was not a brewer giving the tour.

The tour leader kept repeating that dry hopping made beer more bitter, I kept repeating that it didn't, and nobody else on the tour really gave a damn.
Yeah I was just buzzed enough to want to correct him and give people other answers and my wife just kept telling me to settle and have another beer
You have to grow old, you don't have to grow up.
People Like This 

Quick Reply