Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 AM   #561
craigger64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
"where'd the funny beer things go?"
dude, we're on page 57..........we used up all the funny

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #562
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigger64 View Post
dude, we're on page 57..........we used up all the funny

No! Moar Funnehs!!!!
Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~

Old 12-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #563
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2717 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 359

New thread title: Boring and useless things you've heard about beer economics. All three of you interested in that conversation can have fun. Go for it.

Long story short, Beer.

plainbrad Likes This 
Old 12-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #564
Thomas007
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyh View Post
Not if you understand economics. The price to make something has nothing to do with its value. If it did, brewers would be brewing saffron beer and we'd pay $1000 a 6-pack for it.
I think I paid about $3 for a bottle of this:
Quote:
Midas Touch Golden Elixir is a beverage based on the residue found on the drinking vessels in King Midas’ tomb. Our recipe highlights the known ingredients of barley, white Muscat grapes, honey and saffron.
I thought that was kind of steep, but I guess I should be happy the DFH guys aren't economists?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #565
allaway
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause View Post
Not beer, but tonight at a local brew pub's Octoberfest there was a guy and his wife promoting their Honey wine that they will be selling in PA. I asked the guy if it was similar to Mead, and he said " well it is Mead, but we call it honey wine". Ok....I'm not a Mead guy, so maybe this is an excepted term in the Mead world. Then I say " That must require a lot of Pre-planning given how long Mead takes to age." (Now keep in mind I think he said they make something like 43 different flavors). " Nope, our honey wine is ready to be shipped 3 months after starting a batch."

Again....not a Mead guy, but raw ingredients to shipping in 3 months? He said they use a special yeast technique that has it ready to go that quick. I don't doubt he was telling the truth, but that seems awful quick to me.

For the life of me I can't remember the term he used when he described this yeast usage technique....think it was "S" something, but it was at a beer festival so I was already loosing my short term memory
I have a couple bottles of this mead in my fridge (I live on the NH/VT border and have visited the meadery because the GF is into that sort of thing), and it is pretty tasty stuff. I think their "regular" meads are pushed out pretty quickly, but they have some other meads that age longer, IIRC. They have a bunch of really neat flavors, and a really wide range of dry to sweet. My one complaint is that some of their meads tend to be a bit hot.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:15 AM   #566
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
You are assuming we're already in the long-term but we're not
Sure, this is always debatable...when do we move from short to long. Probably somewhere in the middle b/c of TONS of new entrants.

Quote:
And the fact that beer is still a profitable business proves that.
Is it? I'm not convinced. Dang breweries are all private, tough to get good numbers.

Quote:
...some breweries are more profitable than others and not just because their costs are lower.
Agreed...competitive advantage can be w/cost and/or revenue.

Wait, what were we talking about? MChomebrew < MCcommercial, therefore time to brew (hooray for sunk costs!)

Old 12-13-2012, 04:16 AM   #567
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas007

I think I paid about $3 for a bottle of this:

I thought that was kind of steep, but I guess I should be happy the DFH guys aren't economists?
They understand economics. That's why they have to charge market prices, not a price based on whatever ingredients they decide to put into it. My point is that people who don't understand economics are arguing that the price of beer is based solely on the cost of the ingredients.

I was trying to dispel a myth about the free market as it applies to beer because I've found most of HBT to be populated with intelligent people interested in these things. But I'm now reminded that it is still the Internet where misinformation wants to stay alive.

The irony is that this thread is to make fun of people who aren't knowledgeable about beer. But most here want to remain ignorant about the economics of beer. If you don't care about the pricing of beer you're no better than the college student waitress who doesn't care what an IPA is.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:19 AM   #568
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 549 Times on 387 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
They understand economics. That's why they have to charge market prices, not a price based on whatever ingredients they decide to put into it. My point is that people who don't understand economics are arguing that the price of beer is based solely on the cost of the ingredients.

I was trying to dispel a myth about the free market as it applies to beer because I've found most of HBT to be populated with intelligent people interested in these things. But I'm now reminded that it is still the Internet where misinformation wants to stay alive.

The irony is that this thread is to make fun of people who aren't knowledgeable about beer. But most here want to remain ignorant about the economics of beer. If you don't care about the pricing of beer you're no better than the college student waitress who doesn't care what an IPA is.
Come on man, don't be a tool. Strawman argument.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #569
Doctor_Wily
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 12 Posts

whelp, unsubscribing from this thread. I unfortunately am not an economist type of nerd, lol. Cheers everyone!

Latium Talk- A site dedicated to discussion of Latium cryptocurrency. 5 free Latium coin with sign up!

~~Updated Jul 08 ~~
People Like This 
Old 12-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #570
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyTanium
Sure, this is always debatable...when do we move from short to long. Probably somewhere in the middle b/c of TONS of new entrants.
You're correct, we're in the middle. The long-term is a theoretical end, it generally doesn't happen. When everyone jn the world thinks all beers taste the same that day will have come. That won't happen in any of our lifetimes. Even BMC couldn't make that happen.

Quick Reply