New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #481
NateLTB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
The only good thing about living in Ottawa is that we're right across the river from Quebec.

I've been to Vegas, so I've learned that there are 2 kinds of "nudie bars" there. 1) the kind that takes off their top, but keeps their bottoms on, and is allowed to serve alcohol, and b) the kind that gets totally naked, but isn't allowed to serve alcohol (seriously???)

Here in Ottawa, we have strip bars that get totally naked (with champagne rooms/lap dances), AND serve alcohol, but lap dances are $20 each. However, right across the river, in Quebec, the drinking age is 18, the dancers get totaly naked, they serve alcohol, and lap dances are $10.

Why isn't every 18 year old US male taking a trip to Quebec???
Palamino's in Vegas is all-nude and they serve alcohol. They were around before the laws changed and got grandfathered in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #482
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 342 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by NateLTB View Post
Palamino's in Vegas is all-nude and they serve alcohol. They were around before the laws changed and got grandfathered in.
I think in this case "grandfathered in" could have a very different and very disturbing meaning.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #483
GrogNerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 726 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Me,my dad & my bro & friends couldn't wait for the time of year the Stroh's bock came around again. Man,that stuff was good. Even Pizza Hut had pitchers on tap,so after a large pizza,we'd all split 3-4 pitchers of it. Good times.
Stroh's... my grandfather's favorite

until he switched to Buckeye Ale

(yes... Toledo)

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: DB8PT Session Ale, Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 12-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #484
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Hmmm...not sure I ever saw that one?...

Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #485
GrogNerd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 726 Times on 519 Posts
Likes Given: 94

what my aunts and uncles are telling me and that it was different than Buckeye Beer. I don't remember the Ale, but I do remember Buckeye Beer; it was your typical American Lager.

Buckeye Brewing made Buckeye, Meister Brau & Meister Brau Lite, all were bought by Miller. They stopped making Buckeye and Meister Brau Lite became Miller Lite.

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: DB8PT Session Ale, Sweetpea's Mock Maibock, DB 8 Point IPA Clone, Witless Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Czech Pilsner, CLB's Red Barleywine, 8 Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM   #486
skw
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FermentedScientist View Post
"Because it's legal to lie in the states. In Europe and the rest of the world they aren't allowed to call it BEER, they have to call it malt beverage like Zima and most wine coolers. So you're basically drinking a wine cooler. Enjoy your Zima, and you sir (pointing to his father), enjoy that BEER."

The whole table laughed at him. The server asked me if that was true about Europe.

"I don't think so, but it's true to him right now."
As far as I know, if you were producing it in Germany, you wouldn't be able to call it beer because it contains rice. It's OK for imports to be called beer, even if a German brewer would not be able to call it that.

That said, nobody ridicules the purity law more than German home brewers. If it was after the original purity law from the 1500s, you wouldn't be allowed to make Hefeweizen, because it only allows barley, hops and water, and excludes yeast (Hefe) or wheat (Weizen).

Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 PM   #487
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

It excluded yeast because they didn't understand what was fermenting there beer. Just how to get it to jump start. Or krausening. It wasn't until pasteur came along that all became clearer.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #488
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 414 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale1038

In Utah, all liquor is state measured for a 1 ounce poor. Drinks are weak and you can't order a double mixed drink. But you can order a sidecar. They bring you an extra shot in a shot glass, and you just dump it in your drink.
I read this a while back and found it completely baffling.

www.nytimes.com/2011/07/20/us/20liquor.html?_r=0

Of course, people think we here in Wisconsin have some looney alcohol laws (underage kids can drink in a bar with a parent/guardian, an underage person can drink in a bar with his/her of-age spouse, etc.)

Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #489
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
Stroh's... my grandfather's favorite

until he switched to Buckeye Ale

(yes... Toledo)
Stroh's six packs were the best beer deal here when I was a kid. I used to get two of them, called them "a pair of s'hortS". Great times.

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:51 PM   #490
BigTuna
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I always get a kick out of people thinking that you can "skunk" a beer by letting it warm up if it's been cold. I always go on to explain that it has to do with light and not temp but that's where I stop.

Also, it always cracks me up that people don't understand the difference between Ales and Lagers. Most people I've talked to actually think that lagers are "heavier" or something to that effect.

Quick Reply