Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #4501
NickTheGreat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 189 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLR1987 View Post
Forgot about a phone call that same day:

Guy: "Hey I had a concern with a Pilsner I'm brewing. It's been in the carboy for two weeks, and the airlock is only bubbling every couple of seconds."

Me: "What temperature are you fermenting at?"

Guy: "Well it's been around 65-70F the whole time. Also I'm using the Wyeast Northwest Ale Yeast."

Hmm.....alrighty! I did let him know to just take gravity readings for a few days and if it doesn't change it's good to go.
I'm confused how the airlock is bubbling every few seconds after 2 weeks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #4502
masonsjax
Professional Amateur
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 300 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 292

Temperature swings, CO2 coming out of solution, yeast working on the last little bits of sugar, ... Could be a number of things, which is why everyone says not to trust the airlock, but to look for hydrometer stability before packaging.

I aim to misbehave.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #4503
DLR1987
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonsjax
temperature swings, co2 coming out of solution, yeast working on the last little bits of sugar, ... Could be a number of things, which is why everyone says not to trust the airlock, but to look for hydrometer stability before packaging.
+1

Old 12-05-2013, 03:02 PM   #4504
tennesseean_87
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I label mine Pilsen Ale. But now I have an STC-1000! Real Pilsener, here I come!

Old 12-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #4505
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 241 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Lager-flavored ales (if there is such a thing) can be made with WLP060. Someone in this thread talked about a maibock they made with it. I tried it on a Marzen and a Maibock at about 66F and they aren't half bad. But they are indeed ales.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock, Bohemian Pilsner

Old 12-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #4506
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 860 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith66 View Post
Lager-flavored ales (if there is such a thing) can be made with WLP060. Someone in this thread talked about a maibock they made with it. I tried it on a Marzen and a Maibock at about 66F and they aren't half bad. But they are indeed ales.
that was my maibock. entered it into club comp and no one, including BJCP judges, figured out it was an ale.

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Keith66 Likes This 
Old 12-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #4507
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2003 Times on 1754 Posts
Likes Given: 1475

My Hopped & Confused ales have all used WL029 kolsh yeast. Gives good lager-like flavors between 64-69F with lager or pilsner hops & grains/extracts.
I even made a dark "hybrid lager",if you will,with a cooper's Heritage lager can & some grains per a recipe from ohcrap on here. Def was well liked,even by some BMC drinkers that tried it. So it's as much what you make it out of as the yeast you use to get lager-like qualities. When the weather cools down,I wanna make'em again,but with some German grains. I washed a few jars of the WL029 yeast for starters to use in'em as well.
It was kinda cool to see 3 of the four lawncare guys like my hybrid lagers after finishing the job at hand. The head guy though didn't care for them as much,asking if I had any of those bud lites with the lime in it left? Oh well...3 outta 4 ain't bad...

Old 12-05-2013, 06:56 PM   #4508
Cheesy_Goodness
Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 417

A few weeks ago I asked my wife to pick up some beer to be used with brats later that evening. I told her she could get just about anything from our grocery store's limited selection and it would work, just don't get anything too hoppy.
Thankfully she returned with a 6 pack of Kona "Fire-Rock" Pale ale. She apologized, saying she looked for and couldn't find any IPAs and hoped the Fire Rock wasn't too hoppy.
Brats were good though

"Wine is fine and brandy is dandy, but liquor is quicker"

jhoneycutt Likes This 
Old 12-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #4509
PRE66_6TART
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesy_Goodness
A few weeks ago I asked my wife to pick up some beer to be used with brats later that evening. I told her she could get just about anything from our grocery store's limited selection and it would work, just don't get anything too hoppy. Thankfully she returned with a 6 pack of Kona "Fire-Rock" Pale ale. She apologized, saying she looked for and couldn't find any IPAs and hoped the Fire Rock wasn't too hoppy. Brats were good though
A few weeks ago I asked my wife to pick up a case of Hibernation while she was in Denver, as I was having a hard time finding it up here in the mountains. I repeated the name two or three times so she wouldn't forget. She came back with a case of Isolation. Fortunately I like Isolation as well (they're both good winter seasonals), and I found my Hibernation a few days later, so everything turned out alright.
Old 12-06-2013, 08:23 AM   #4510
IamAPenguin12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Haha, Well I do vividly recall me on my 21st Bday in Vegas drunkingly waving a Mickey's 40 oz around shouting aloud with my friends "this is how beer should taste like!" haha I look back at that and laugh >_<

Quick Reply