Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #431
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2144 Times on 1533 Posts
Likes Given: 1178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3989 View Post
But craft brews can still be "domestic" so if they have a special for 2 for one domestics.... Well, you see the problem. They should say 2 for one bud lights, or come up with another name for the big 3, like BMC or something like that.

I would immediately order a beer at a bar that had the categories:
"Mass produced light lager" - BMC
"Mass produced beer" - guinness, bass, blue moon, negro modelo, etc.
"microbrews"
"local craft"

But that's all semantics, if the price is right (and the temp...wishful thinking), the bartender/owner can be as ignorant as he/she desires and I'll still drink a beer there.
In Michigan you can't do a 2 for 1 special. That would imply they are giving you a free beer, which they can't do. It would have to be a 1/s off special.

Just a little bit of trivia.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #432
Krovitz
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

In Massachusetts, happy hour is illegal. No free drinks, half price drinks, or coupons/ gift cards for drinks.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #433
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
If I had been sitting at that bar I would be posting about a funny thing I overheard at a bar...This guy walks in and orders a micro-brew. The bartender tells him it's an import because they charge the import price on their micros. They guy argues with the bartender about where the beer is made and then storms out without having a beer.
I have to agree here. Sure, the wording is funny and incorrect, and we might sniff at it since We Know Better, but why leave without having your beer? Didn't you miss it? Wasn't it calling to you plaintively from the bar as you walked out? I would have chuckled to myself as I drained my glass, then told the funny story when I got home...

Old 12-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #434
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty_rabbit View Post
I for one don't like the fact that Sunday sales was passed. I spent my whole adult life pre-planning on Saturday for drinking on Sunday. If I forgot then that was my fault and it only happened a few times. I feel that it made me a better person to learn to plan for the future. Up and coming drinkers will not have that learning experience.
You're right, of course--growing up in CA I never had to plan my purchases around the all-important Sunday-afternoon-beer-and-football. And when I lived in GA I paid for it, mostly with Sunday trips onto base to go to the package store, mumbling uncharitable unprintables about the Bible Belt all the way. Sorry if that offends folks, I'm no libertine, but I do get crotchety when I'm denied beer...
Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #435
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrodm

You're right, of course--growing up in CA I never had to plan my purchases around the all-important Sunday-afternoon-beer-and-football. And when I lived in GA I paid for it, mostly with Sunday trips onto base to go to the package store, mumbling uncharitable unprintables about the Bible Belt all the way. Sorry if that offends folks, I'm no libertine, but I do get crotchety when I'm denied beer...
Now even with Sunday sales it can only be sold after 12:00 in our area. My guess is so I can't get it before the people at church do.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #436
bovineblitz
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovitz View Post
In Massachusetts, happy hour is illegal. No free drinks, half price drinks, or coupons/ gift cards for drinks.
No sales on alcohol are allowed, ever. It's very annoying.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #437
Skeptidelphian
Hidden River Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovineblitz

No sales on alcohol are allowed, ever. It's very annoying.
Gotta keep that puritan work ethic!
Conditioning: Nothing
On Tap: Nothing
In the Works: Boathouse Row Brown Ale, Pumpkin Milk Stout, Centennial IPA, Winter Warmer

Old 12-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #438
humann_brewing
More Humann than human
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 311 Times on 309 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS Brew View Post
"Guinness is a meal."

Maybe for a 5 year old?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
So did you walk out because they were going to charge more for it or because they called it an import and you simply won't tolerate abuses to the English language like that?

For a long time "import" actually referred to imported beer but in reality was how they communicated that they were going to charge more for it.

If they had said it's a "premium" beer would you have stayed and enjoyed the beer you ordered?

If I had been sitting at that bar I would be posting about a funny thing I overheard at a bar...This guy walks in and orders a micro-brew. The bartender tells him it's an import because they charge the import price on their micros. They guy argues with the bartender about where the beer is made and then storms out without having a beer.
sounds pretty accurate, I know I know more and more bars are just switching over to the term craft beer or something of the sorts that way it is more generic but it was basically the guys attitude that pissed me off, he had no interest or knowledge for that matter of anything about the beers let alone where they were made.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #439
Hamsterbite
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Overheard at the beer aisle in the grocery store. Man speaking to wife/gf:
Non-Alcoholic beer is really bad for you. They use bleach to remove the alcohol.

Sometimes the angels punish us by answering our prayers. -Peart

Next Brew: SWMBO's choice. Probably Saison.
Primary: Janet's Brown, Mulled Chamomile Cider/Perry
Secondary: Nada
Bottle Conditioning: Nada
Bottled and Ready: Hop in the Dark, Raison Detre, Hoppy Saison

Old 12-06-2012, 11:30 PM   #440
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamsterbite View Post
Overheard at the beer aisle in the grocery store. Man speaking to wife/gf:
Non-Alcoholic beer is really bad for you. They use bleach to remove the alcohol.
haha hes got a good point! However, I think hes getting decaffeinated coffee mixed with beer.

Quick Reply