The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #391
Onihige
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sweden
Posts: 257
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

I don't think there's any confusion regarding the whole lager and ale thing in Sweden. But then again, the state has monopoly on selling alchohol in stores (except for anything below 2.5-ish%). They all have the exact same layout, with beer divided by... (I hardly buy beer so I might not remember) ale, lager, dark lager. They also always list country of origin and styles.

It's really weird, the whole idea of a state owned liquor store sounds horrible and it could go wrong in so many ways and I hate state monopoly... BUT THEY'RE DOING IT RIGHT?! Extremely well-educated personel, and you can order anything that's not in stock - and stock from all over the world is available already.

Only had one issue ever there.

__________________

This isn't a beer belly, It's a fuel tank for a love machine.

Onihige is offline
wailingguitar Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #392
JuiceyJay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: portland, Oregon
Posts: 194
Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Was telling a friend that I started brewing my own beer, he asked what kind I was brewing and I said "an arrogant bastard clone" he than said "isn't that malt liquor? I can't stand the taste of malt liquor" I just sighed.

__________________
JuiceyJay is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:26 AM   #393
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 1,945
Liked 268 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceyJay View Post
Was telling a friend that I started brewing my own beer, he asked what kind I was brewing and I said "an arrogant bastard clone" he than said "isn't that malt liquor? I can't stand the taste of malt liquor" I just sighed.
That's pretty funny. I've never thought about it before, but there are probably tons of people who think that any bottle bigger than 16oz is malt liquor!

That would lead me to wonder if anyone thinks they don't like malt liquor because they have only tried Arrogant Bastard?
__________________
bleme is offline
freshhoarse Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #394
diptherunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 125
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb

on the same note, I run into a lot of people that think "home brew=prison toilet wine" and "BMC=beer and "everything else=fancy new made up beer". you know, like stout/porter/bock/blonde.
That's a great name for a beer "Prison Toilet Wine"! What would he fermentables be?
__________________
diptherunner is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #395
Billy-Klubb
Capt. Floccin' Awesome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Billy-Klubb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Windom, MN
Posts: 5,528
Liked 2020 Times on 1336 Posts
Likes Given: 3992

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diptherunner View Post
That's a great name for a beer "Prison Toilet Wine"! What would he fermentables be?
what ever fruit you can sneak out of the cafeteria.
__________________

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...
Billy-Klubb is offline
mikesr71 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #396
craigger64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangor, Pennsylvania
Posts: 154
Liked 39 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaranka View Post
I don't know if it's funny in the US, but the first time I head "I don't like beer, I only drink lager", I did find it quite curious. I've heard it now hundreds of times so it lacks the novelty.
Here in Pennsylvania, if you say "lager", it is assumed that you mean Yuengling. Walk up to a bartender and ask for a lager, and you automatically get a Yuengling Lager every time. I have heard people say, "I hate Budweiser, I only drink lager"

__________________
craigger64 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #397
mooshimanx
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: san diego, california
Posts: 215
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

I walked out of Bottlecraft in San Diego, a craft beer bottle shop and as I walked out there was this old guy, his wife and his adult son looking inside the shop with wide eyes. He was amazed at what was in there and just said, "Well how about that. Beer has respect."

I'm not even sure what he meant but I chuckled.

__________________
mooshimanx is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #398
Fizzycist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Posts: 435
Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

In IF here there is an abundant religious population who are teetotalers and you run into signs of their dominant culture even in bars. I'm at a chain place whose name I won't mention as it causes some people here to froth. This place brings on a new beer every month and gives away the first keg as samples. So the manager gets on a PA to tell announce that their giving away samples of "Arrogant Ale"! Wait, what? Is this something I haven't heard of? Nope, I get my glass and it's clear that he just didn't want to use the word "Bastard" over the PA for fear of offending someone, in a freakin bar!

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
Blue moon is like liquid southpark. It offends everybody.
Fizzycist is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #399
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 447
Liked 43 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onihige View Post
I don't think there's any confusion regarding the whole lager and ale thing in Sweden. But then again, the state has monopoly on selling alchohol in stores (except for anything below 2.5-ish%). They all have the exact same layout, with beer divided by... (I hardly buy beer so I might not remember) ale, lager, dark lager. They also always list country of origin and styles.

It's really weird, the whole idea of a state owned liquor store sounds horrible and it could go wrong in so many ways and I hate state monopoly... BUT THEY'RE DOING IT RIGHT?! Extremely well-educated personel, and you can order anything that's not in stock - and stock from all over the world is available already.

Only had one issue ever there.
Actually here in the US, Pennsylvania owns their liquor stores (beer stores are separate, privately owned, and usually pretty bad) but the government liquor store system isn't horrible, they have a ton of buying power so some items are much cheaper than in other states. other items are overpriced though since they have to cater to the general public (aka cheap vodka and big name liquors) it's tougher for them to stock things that are unique.
__________________
Matt3989 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #400
jerrodm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 636
Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3989 View Post
Actually here in the US, Pennsylvania owns their liquor stores (beer stores are separate, privately owned, and usually pretty bad) but the government liquor store system isn't horrible, they have a ton of buying power so some items are much cheaper than in other states. other items are overpriced though since they have to cater to the general public (aka cheap vodka and big name liquors) it's tougher for them to stock things that are unique.
In six years in the military I lived all over the US, including in dry counties (Texas), no alcohol sales on Sundays states (Georgia) and in states that sell liquor through state-run or state-approved monopolies (VA, and Montgomery county, MD). The best place I've ever lived for buying alcohol has been simultaneously the cheapest and most accessible, and also the one with the fewest restrictions on alcohol sales--California. In CA, you can walk into Safeway at 2AM on a Sunday and buy as much liquor/wine/beer as you want, no problems. Every grocery store sells beer, wine and liquor, as do most gas stations. And bargain stores like BevMo have cheaper prices than any other place I've seen, plus terrific selection. In VA, in contrast, you have to buy alcohol at the ABC, and a bottle of Glenlivet 12 yr. is something like $45, where you can get it at the drugstore in CA for $28 on sale!

I miss CA.
__________________
jerrodm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need a funny beer saying!!! dcodd87 General Beer Discussion 50 04-22-2014 01:03 PM
Funny Beer Commercials KeyWestBrewing General Beer Discussion 0 06-16-2012 05:38 AM
Funny Beer Commercial doctorRobert General Beer Discussion 1 06-09-2011 06:51 PM
The funny things you find on Craigslist briguy General Beer Discussion 9 02-12-2011 10:44 PM
32 things you can do with beer ayrton General Beer Discussion 9 03-26-2007 08:38 PM