Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #371
Sir Humpsalot
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I'm going to try and start a new trend.

Instead of calling it BMC, since that name is a little too technical for most beer-drinkers, I'm going to start making the distinction between commercial beer and non-commercial beer.

Commercial beer, obviously, are the beers that have commercials on the television.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #372
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onihige View Post
A rough translation:

Many drink beer without additives. Lars Janson, however, does not.

What BS are ya talkin' about? I buy real cheap crap beer (he litterally says ugly beer. He uses ugly as a prefix) from the internet and filter it. (he references exactly WHAT it is he's filtering away, however I have no idea what he's saying since the accent is HEAVY)

I have a organization, I know what I'm doing.

He then holds up the beer soaked loaf of bread and comments it wasn't very good.

Regular people just don't understand. You have to filter it.

He drinks and makes the face.

Are the additives gone now?

Hahaha!

Real beer is made from barley, hops, yeast and water. No additives; just beer.

Sponsored by blablabla

The interview guy drinks his beer and the other guy says: Do you have fine beer? Can I have the last sip?

He then filters it more on the speaker, explaining the motion from the music makes the crap fall to the bottom.

Does it really fall to the bottom?

Yes.... I think.

Sponsored by blablabla.

When he swings it around over his head he says "Now the beer is pasteurizing in the bucket here"

Are the blablabla gone now?

Beer face.

Sponsor.

If you have to choose which beer, my fine beer or your filtered beer - which one would you drink?

He hesiates "Hmm, if I... but... hay, it's stacked in your favor. If I pick..." he then picks his beer, and drinks it defiantly and says it's really tasty.

The translation got a bit messy. xD
Awesome. Thank you.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 12-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #373
The_Professor
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts

While buying a bottle of Stone IPA:

Clerk: This beer is made in India?
Me: No, India Pale Ale means it has more hops.
Clerk: Hops?
Me: I has more flavor. It is more bitter.
Clerk: It is better.
Me: No, bitter...

Brewing since '08
1-88) - Gone
89) Mr. Beer Northwest Pale Ale - conditioning

Old 12-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #374
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
Commercial beer, obviously, are the beers that have commercials on the television.
But if one doesn't watch TV one will not know to which beers your refer. And you could be accused of calling Zima beer.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #375
kombat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 677 Times on 439 Posts
Likes Given: 610

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Humpsalot View Post
Instead of calling it BMC, since that name is a little too technical for most beer-drinkers, I'm going to start making the distinction between commercial beer and non-commercial beer.
So, the 7 micro/nanobreweries in my town, all of whom sell beer commercially to local pubs, as well as directly to the public from their retail counter (some of whom even sell through the local liquor stores), are not "commercial?"

Then how do we distinguish between licensed, multi-bbl operations brewing it for profit, and homebrewers brewing it for fun?

To add to the topic, I'd have to say the most bizarre (I guess maybe funny?) thing I've heard about beer is when I've offered a homebrew to a guest, and they say, "No thanks, I don't like beer."

Huh? What do you mean you "don't like beer?" There are hundreds of different kinds of beer. "I just don't like the taste." Which taste? That's like offering someone a slice of almond hazelnut cheesecake and them replying that they "don't like cake" because they once had a slice of a lemon watermelon poundcake that they didn't like.

In those situations, is it worth it to try and educate them about all the different kinds of beer, and encouraging them to try some variety to see the differences? Or do you just decide they're probably a lost cause and let it go?

Old 12-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #376
homebrewdad
Recipes 

Liked 320 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
So, the 7 micro/nanobreweries in my town, all of whom sell beer commercially to local pubs, as well as directly to the public from their retail counter (some of whom even sell through the local liquor stores), are not "commercial?"

Then how do we distinguish between licensed, multi-bbl operations brewing it for profit, and homebrewers brewing it for fun?

To add to the topic, I'd have to say the most bizarre (I guess maybe funny?) thing I've heard about beer is when I've offered a homebrew to a guest, and they say, "No thanks, I don't like beer."

Huh? What do you mean you "don't like beer?" There are hundreds of different kinds of beer. "I just don't like the taste." Which taste? That's like offering someone a slice of almond hazelnut cheesecake and them replying that they "don't like cake" because they once had a slice of a lemon watermelon poundcake that they didn't like.

In those situations, is it worth it to try and educate them about all the different kinds of beer, and encouraging them to try some variety to see the differences? Or do you just decide they're probably a lost cause and let it go?
It's a lost cause. I was planning to be a good neighbor and hook up the new guy that moved in next door, only to find out that he doesn't like the taste of beer. A couple of questions led to the horse piss yellow analogy (which I don't particularly disagree with); pretty obvious that BMC equals beer to this guy.

But... he has an opinion and is happy with said opinion. Who am I to try to evangalize craft beer to him?

Fermenting: nothing
Lagering: Swarthy Satyr (traditional bock)
Bottled: Royal Goblin (Hoppy Hobgoblin rendition), Treasure Type "T" (oatmeal toffee stout), Enchantress (big Irish red ale), Frostfire (Oktoberfest), Thundersmoke brown ale

Old 12-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #377
Broham1
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooda2008
paraphrased from a friend:
"I want you to close your eyes and picture something, okay? Picture that hot chick at the gym, the one that should be a model. She walks up to you. Smells like pine needles. really fresh. You're just standing there, and she pops a caramel into your mouth, takes a bite out of a pineapple, and kisses you. That's what heady topper is"
Easily one of the best beer descriptions I've ever read! I've never had Heady Topper, but now I must.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #378
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broham1 View Post
Easily one of the best beer descriptions I've ever read! I've never had Heady Topper, but now I must.
I actually prefer Southern Tier 2xIPA to Heady, but a lot of people seem to like Heady. I guess I'm just not a huge fan of Simcoe.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #379
tchamber
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewOnBoard View Post
I've also been to restaurants where things like SNPA are listed with the "imports" and not the "domestics"

BrewOnBoard
Here in Winchester, VA the local Food Lion "Imported Beers" section has the following selection:

Blue Moon
Sierra Nevada
Dogfish Head
Fat Tire
Sam Adams
Dominion

*sigh*

Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #380
Doog_Si_Reeb
Beer is Good. And stuff!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I was drinking an Oude Brune at Marble Brewery Saturday evening. It's served in a goblet (and very tasty). A guy was asking about the beers on the menu, specifically the imperial stout that his friend had told him about. The server pointed to the goblet in front of me and said that the imperial stout was served in one of those glasses. The guy said, "No, he was talking about a beer." The server looked confused and i tried not to laugh. I'm guessing the guy had never seen beer served in a goblet before.

Primary: BohPils3
Kegged: Vienna Lager, Mánagarmr Stout, Ratatoskr IIPA, Cider
Bottled: Yule Gruit

Quick Reply