Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #281
nasty_rabbit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: auburn, georgia
Posts: 733
Liked 97 Times on 64 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Agreed. I think it should say premium vs crap
A locally owned restaurant in our area (Athens Ga) has a small but VERY good selection both on tap and bottled and their menu has three categories. There is only a $0.50 price difference and they list as: BEER - GOOD BEER - REALY GOOD BEER.
__________________
nasty_rabbit is offline
6
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #282
Billy-Klubb
Is Always Watching
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Billy-Klubb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Windom, MN
Posts: 6,549
Liked 2596 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 5094

Default

from my MIL: he adds a lot of hops so there's a lot of alcohol.
he makes dark beers, like Bud heavy.
(on my SAL @ 4%) oh! this is really strong!

old coworker: nononono! stout is not a beer, it's an ale.

__________________

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...
Billy-Klubb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 PM   #283
Fizzycist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho
Posts: 435
Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Ya, and we make all the people from Wisconsin go through customs when they come to Minnesota.

It isn't just beer where people think import when it really is domestic. I've talked to adults who have never been more than one state from where they were born and they have no idea about the geography of the US let alone the rest of the world.
Back in the days of mail order (vs internet shopping) I was once charged international shipping from Virginia to New Mexico. *facepalm*
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by n240sxguy View Post
Blue moon is like liquid southpark. It offends everybody.
Fizzycist is offline
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #284
drainbamage
Something something danger zone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
drainbamage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alexandria, KY
Posts: 2,076
Liked 486 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 876

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel View Post
Regarding Sam Adams being on the import list, I love when I see that in Cincinnati when I've heard they make more Sam Adams in Cincinnati than they do in Boston. Not sure if that's true but they do make it in Cincinnati.
That's right. They bought they old Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewery in Over-the-Rhine, who they used to use as a contract brewer. From what I've heard, the Boston brewery is mostly just for tours and small-batch R&D brewing these days. But yeah, it bugs me to see Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Blue Moon, etc. on the "imports" list.

I've shared this before, but I was talking to a co-worker and fellow homebrewer last year and told him I was working on a black IPA. He wasn't familiar with the style, so I was describing it to him and he asked if it was going to be "really hoppy, like a Guinness."

Well, yes...and no.

Also, my MIL, who is a fan of hoppier beers, likes to tell people that she likes the "real bitter, high-IPA (meaning IBU) type beers." She's on the right track at least.
__________________
drainbamage is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #285
Krovitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Quincy, MA
Posts: 585
Liked 123 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Regarding Sam Adams being on the import list, I love when I see that in Cincinnati when I've heard they make more Sam Adams in Cincinnati than they do in Boston. Not sure if that's true but they do make it in Cincinnati.
Don't know about Cincinnati but here in Boston, their brewery is very small. They only make small batches here like the Boston brick red. If you got a brewery, chances are they brew more than here. Also heard Pennsylvania has a big Sam Adams brewery.
__________________
Krovitz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #286
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 2,007
Liked 183 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post

That's right. They bought they old Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewery in Over-the-Rhine, who they used to use as a contract brewer. From what I've heard, the Boston brewery is mostly just for tours and small-batch R&D brewing these days. But yeah, it bugs me to see Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada, Blue Moon, etc. on the "imports" list.

I've shared this before, but I was talking to a co-worker and fellow homebrewer last year and told him I was working on a black IPA. He wasn't familiar with the style, so I was describing it to him and he asked if it was going to be "really hoppy, like a Guinness."

Well, yes...and no.

Also, my MIL, who is a fan of hoppier beers, likes to tell people that she likes the "real bitter, high-IPA (meaning IBU) type beers." She's on the right track at least.
Thanks for the info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovitz View Post

Don't know about Cincinnati but here in Boston, their brewery is very small. They only make small batches here like the Boston brick red. If you got a brewery, chances are they brew more than here. Also heard Pennsylvania has a big Sam Adams brewery.
An didn't know that. Guess it makes sense they have more than Cincy and Boston but I think the labels I've seen only mention those two cities.
__________________
-Matt
mtnagel is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #287
biochemedic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
biochemedic's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Carnegie, PA
Posts: 1,858
Liked 90 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy-Klubb View Post
old coworker: nononono! stout is not a beer, it's an ale.
Well, they were half right....
__________________
Packaged: Pearl Amarillo SMaSH, A bunch of random stuff...
Recent Meads: Mead Day '11 Ginger Metheglin, Mead Day '12 Traditional (orange blossom) Mead, Fresh Simple Cyser '12
Primary: Graff, Simple Cyser, Basic Spiced Cider
Secondary: Why do I keep this line here...?
Bulk Aging: Cocobochet
Planned: Heady Topper Clone! Wild Cider?, Hop Metheglin #3 (NZ hops), Trad. Gesho T'ej
biochemedic is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #288
craigger64
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bangor, Pennsylvania
Posts: 157
Liked 39 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovitz View Post
Also heard Pennsylvania has a big Sam Adams brewery.
Yes, just west of Allentown. The old Schaefer brewery.
__________________
craigger64 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 05:02 PM   #289
Billy-Klubb
Is Always Watching
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
 
Billy-Klubb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Windom, MN
Posts: 6,549
Liked 2596 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 5094

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biochemedic View Post
Well, they were half right....
yeah, trying to explain to him that lager and ale are both beer was like explaining advanced psychology to a brick.
__________________

There is a difference between pride and arrogance. Which do you hold in your heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing...
Billy-Klubb is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #290
Ryush806
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ryush806's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Shreveport, Louisiana
Posts: 774
Liked 88 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan3825

Leinenkugels is an import in Minnesota.
I was at a bar in Little Rock, AR (home of Diamond Bear brewery). They had Diamond Bear in the import list! Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnagel
Agreed. I think it should say premium vs crap
I unfortunately can't find the pic but my buddy sent me a menu where it was distinguished as "Real Beer" and "Piss Water"

SWMBO and I went to the only bar with good beer in a town with mostly BMC bars. She didn't know what they had so she asked for a Coors light. The bartender said "No, drink something better!" Haha
__________________

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
- Benjamin Franklin (and I don't care if this quote has been largely discredited/misquoted...I like it!)

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Ryush806 is offline
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I need a funny beer saying!!! dcodd87 General Beer Discussion 50 04-22-2014 01:03 PM
Funny Beer Commercials KeyWestBrewing General Beer Discussion 0 06-16-2012 05:38 AM
Funny Beer Commercial doctorRobert General Beer Discussion 1 06-09-2011 06:51 PM
The funny things you find on Craigslist briguy General Beer Discussion 9 02-12-2011 10:44 PM
32 things you can do with beer ayrton General Beer Discussion 9 03-26-2007 08:38 PM