Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2013, 04:33 AM   #2851
Bookworm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Haha, no thanks. Though I wouldn't mind if somebody wanted to send me some horn. I'm just learning how to make knives and elk horn makes a great handle.
I tend to horde up all of that I can get for my own knife making. Even though I have not made any in a long time I plan to get set up for it again some day. But just to be fair, my dad also lives in Colorado if you can find him and talk him out of it you can have it. I will give only one hint, look east from Denver.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #2852
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 959 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
I tend to horde up all of that I can get for my own knife making. Even though I have not made any in a long time I plan to get set up for it again some day. But just to be fair, my dad also lives in Colorado if you can find him and talk him out of it you can have it. I will give only one hint, look east from Denver.
Lol, ok. That narrows things down I guess. I was joking anyway.

Old 08-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #2853
Bookworm
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
Lol, ok. That narrows things down I guess. I was joking anyway.
I think it was a good hint, at least from my point of view. Seriously though there is a chance I might come across some horn I could give up. If I do will let you know. More knife makers is always a good thing. If you are doing forge work get some high carbon railroad spikes and play with them. They do not tend to sell well but are a lot of fun to make into knives and play with different forging and finishing techniques.

EDIT: Probably should add something beer related... MMmmm Do not drink beer while forging.
EDIT2: Old files are good for forging and just grinding them out... Skip the beer when doing that one also.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #2854
Wolfehausbrewery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Had a guy tell me the other day "anyone who drinks bud light and only bud light is like a child who will only eat Craft Macaroni and cheese." I thought it a good analogy! Admitted, I have brewed a few light lagers in my day, and enjoyed them very much. Even made a pickle pils w/ a pickle in every bottle.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #2855
bobmcstuff
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
Agreed forst. "Most of our customers just dont like them" would have been a perfectly acceptable answer.

Unless of course she was just teasing them (and they knew it). I saw a guy order a Bushmills at a bar once and the tender made an exaggerated gasp "thats PROTESTANT whisky!" he said.
To me that's just a quote from The Wire...
Old 08-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #2856
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1574 Times on 1112 Posts
Likes Given: 2508

I swear he said it!

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #2857
Hawaiibboy
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by forstmeister

See, this is the kind of stuff that bothers me. I love craft beer as much as the next guy, maybe even more than most. But when I encounter servers and bartenders who look down their noses at people just because they happen to like light American lagers is bad for craft beer. It gives a horrible impression of snobbery to people who are uninitiated in the craft beer movement.
I regularly frequent a gastropub here on Oahu called "Real". It is probably the coolest "craft beer" bar in town. I always hear people asking for blue moon or a number of various BMC products. Every single one of the tenders has a very similar answer. "Sorry, we don't have that. I could suggest something that will be similar though." That right there is how you do it. Typically if the person is wanting a beer still they enjoy the suggested beer. If they still want a "lite" then they offer them PBR tall boys.

They have about a 150-300 bottle list and 28 or 30 taps that rotate rather frequently. Two of their taps are nitro and two are cask beer machine taps. They almost always have at least one hefewiezen on tap and at least one lager on tap. It's a great place to get your BMC friends to try stepping into the craft world.
Old 08-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #2858
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 959 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post
I think it was a good hint, at least from my point of view. Seriously though there is a chance I might come across some horn I could give up. If I do will let you know. More knife makers is always a good thing. If you are doing forge work get some high carbon railroad spikes and play with them. They do not tend to sell well but are a lot of fun to make into knives and play with different forging and finishing techniques.

EDIT: Probably should add something beer related... MMmmm Do not drink beer while forging.
EDIT2: Old files are good for forging and just grinding them out... Skip the beer when doing that one also.
Cool. Thanks for the tips. I figured I'd play around with some mild steel bar stock first, then stuff cut out of old saw blades. It should be fun. I don't know if I'm going to be able to do much forge work, if any. Lots of other projects that need my attention around this house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfehausbrewery View Post
Had a guy tell me the other day "anyone who drinks bud light and only bud light is like a child who will only eat Craft Macaroni and cheese." I thought it a good analogy! Admitted, I have brewed a few light lagers in my day, and enjoyed them very much. Even made a pickle pils w/ a pickle in every bottle.
Nothing wrong with a box of mac'n cheese once in a while. Generally though, I'd rather have the steak.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #2859
nitrousjunkie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiibboy View Post
I regularly frequent a gastropub here on Oahu called "Real". It is probably the coolest "craft beer" bar in town. I always hear people asking for blue moon or a number of various BMC products. Every single one of the tenders has a very similar answer. "Sorry, we don't have that. I could suggest something that will be similar though." That right there is how you do it. Typically if the person is wanting a beer still they enjoy the suggested beer. If they still want a "lite" then they offer them PBR tall boys.

They have about a 150-300 bottle list and 28 or 30 taps that rotate rather frequently. Two of their taps are nitro and two are cask beer machine taps. They almost always have at least one hefewiezen on tap and at least one lager on tap. It's a great place to get your BMC friends to try stepping into the craft world.
Where is this place at? I may have to check them out when I get back from this deployment come October.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #2860
badgerbrew14
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

It's not too far from Waikiki. Nice place, the food is as good as the beer list. Really enjoyed that place!

Quick Reply