Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 08:32 PM   #271
troyh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onihige
After a long brew day, a friend of mine messaged me and asked what I was up to. Told him I was relaxing after said brew day.

The follow up question was how the beer tasted. He thought the beer was done right after the brewing process.
I think this is a common assumption.

My parents visited us for a few days this summer and my dad watched me brew a batch of beer. Every time I drank a beer after that he asked me if it was the beer I just brewed. Each time I explained that the beer will take a month or so because it has to ferment and he'd answer "Oh" but kept asking. Eventually my mom answered for me: "No, it has to ferment, dear!"

At least I taught someone something about beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #272
CBMbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I was at a bar with some friends for my birthday that had something like 40 or 50 beers on tap, most of which were worth drinking. We overheard a stereotypical collage guy come up to the bar and ask if he could get a pitcher of nati light. After a brief pause the bartender answered in a monotone: "No, you can't." I must admit, I laughed. But hey, we all start somewhere. I drank ridiculous amounts of miller high life before I became a hop head homebrewer.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #273
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Champagne of beers! Hey when you're poor, you drink what you can afford.

Old 11-23-2012, 08:53 PM   #274
FoundationFunkwerks
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 30

The other day I caught a distributor trying to tell a guy that "Blue Moon" is made in Belgium.

I usually ignore this kind of outrageous nonsense, but enough was enough.

I turned to both of them and said, "Not True. The Blue Moon brand was created at The Sandlot Brewery at Rockies Field, home of said baseball team. Their primary job is exploring new brands that SAB-Miller / Coors wants to market as craft brands. They do a wonderful job, and are notorious at being welcomed in the craft scene by the "true" craft brands. Keith Villa, is a respected man of the scene."

To which the distributor said, "Well it was made originally in Belgium."

"Nope, although the original core style is of Belgium decent, that's about as far as it goes. If anything it has more British roots, than any-other European country. Being that SAB Miller is the primary owner and brewer of the brand..."

I flipped up the 12 pack to show 'em both the label that says, "Brewed and Bottled in Golden, Co."

Then I asked, "What else comes from Golden, CO."
The customer replies, "COORS!"
Bingo!
...sad.

www.facebook.com/foundationbrewerks

Reason: User error.
People Like This 
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #275
LaFinDuMonde
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundationFunkwerks View Post
The other day I caught a distributor trying to tell a guy that "Blue Moon" is made in Belgium.

I usually ignore this kind of outrageous nonsense, but enough was enough.

I turned to both of them and said, "Not True. The Blue Moon brand was created at The Sandlot Brewery at Rockies Field, home of said baseball team. Their primary job is exploring new brands that SAB-Miller / Coors wants to market as craft brands. They do a wonderful job, and are notorious at being welcomed in the craft scene by the "true" craft brands. Keith Villa, is a respected man of the scene."

To which the distributor said, "Well it was made originally in Belgium."

"Nope, although the original core style is of Belgium decent, that's about as far as it goes. If anything it has more British roots, than any-other European country. Being that SAB Miller is the primary owner and brewer of the brand..."

I flipped up the 12 pack to show 'em both the label that says, "Brewed and Bottled in Golden, Co."

Then I asked, "What else comes from Golden, CO."
The customer replies, "COORS!"
Bingo!
...sad.
That is awesome!
Old 11-24-2012, 01:48 AM   #276
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Regarding Sam Adams being on the import list, I love when I see that in Cincinnati when I've heard they make more Sam Adams in Cincinnati than they do in Boston. Not sure if that's true but they do make it in Cincinnati.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #277
andycr
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 20

The whole import vs. domestic pricing thing ticks me off. It's so outdated, implying that the more expensive (and thus better) beers must all be imports. It just leads to confusion about the cost of things, and ridiculous claims that pretty banal US beers are imports.

/rant

Next up: Murphy's Law
JordanThomas Likes This 
Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 AM   #278
mtnagel
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 187 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by andycr View Post
The whole import vs. domestic pricing thing ticks me off. It's so outdated, implying that the more expensive (and thus better) beers must all be imports. It just leads to confusion about the cost of things, and ridiculous claims that pretty banal US beers are imports.

/rant
Agreed. I think it should say premium vs crap
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 AM   #279
Gameface
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 309

They should distinguish craft/micro vs import vs domestic (mass produced). Obviously they're just calling micro/craft beer an import because it costs more.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #280
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 856 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan3825 View Post
Leinenkugels is an import in Minnesota.
Ya, and we make all the people from Wisconsin go through customs when they come to Minnesota.

It isn't just beer where people think import when it really is domestic. I've talked to adults who have never been more than one state from where they were born and they have no idea about the geography of the US let alone the rest of the world.

Quick Reply