Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2013, 01:07 PM   #2451
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple240 View Post
At the movie tavern last weekend I overheard the waitress telling a patron that Guinness its made with a lot of molasses. I think it scared him away from filling his 36oz mug with molasses beer.

A couple months back, the guy working in the beer section of whole foods was telling my girlfriend that Saisons are called farmhouse ales because they have to be spontaneously fermented in an open container in a barn. She looked at him like he was out of his mind.
Obviously this is not the way they are brewed now, but there there is a grain of truth to what the guy said. At one point they were! Belgian farmers brewed them for their workers as a safe source of something to drink, and were 2-4% ABV, and drunken quite young.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 01:19 PM   #2452
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1586 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 2554

I had definitely heard that molasses was used in guinness before I was learned. It seemed reasonable, due to the color and the mouthfeel, so I believed it.

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 05-16-2013, 02:17 PM   #2453
temple240
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post

Obviously this is not the way they are brewed now, but there there is a grain of truth to what the guy said. At one point they were! Belgian farmers brewed them for their workers as a safe source of something to drink, and were 2-4% ABV, and drunken quite young.
Historically he wasn't that far off but he was referring to the sixpack in her hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness View Post
I had definitely heard that molasses was used in guinness before I was learned. It seemed reasonable, due to the color and the mouthfeel, so I believed it.
I can totally understand someone thinking that guinness has molasses in it I just had to chuckle because guinness is subjected to so many misconceptions. Half the staff at movie tavern aren't even old enough to drink what they're serving.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #2454
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Yeah I agree. Guinness gets everything from "its so heavy!" to "its made with burnt wheat!" to "its made with molasses" to "They boil the beer for hours until it is a syrup, and then add water."

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #2455
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Well, sort of... The guy in the store was correct about Saisons being called farmhouse ale, but at that point he got them confused with Lambics which are naturally fermented using wild, airborne yeast. As far as brewing is concerned, both were brewed in a basement, Saisons because they were brewed in late winter for summer consumption. Today, both are brewed in breweries, and Lambics are still naturally fermented with wild yeast; Saisons aren't and never were. You are correct that Saisons were brewed as a safe beverage to replace questionable water for the workers, and thus were brewed to lower ABV. And the workers, those 15 and older, were allowed up to 5 liters per day. (Lightweights!)
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock, Bohemian Pilsner

Old 05-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #2456
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2642 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamyGoodness
Yeah I agree. Guinness gets everything from "its so heavy!" to "its made with burnt wheat!" to "its made with molasses" to "They boil the beer for hours until it is a syrup, and then add water."
I hate to be one of those well actually people.
So I won't be. But here's an interesting thing wikipedia says they do for Guinness brewed in other parts of the world. I've heard this before. So it must be true.

The beer is brewed under licence internationally in several countries, including Nigeria, the Bahamas, Canada, and Indonesia. The unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract is shipped from Dublin and blended with beer brewed locally.

Long story short, Beer.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #2457
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
I hate to be one of those well actually people.
So I won't be. But here's an interesting thing wikipedia says they do for Guinness brewed in other parts of the world. I've heard this before. So it must be true.

The beer is brewed under licence internationally in several countries, including Nigeria, the Bahamas, Canada, and Indonesia. The unfermented but hopped Guinness wort extract is shipped from Dublin and blended with beer brewed locally.
Haha! The difference here though is I think people really believe you start with a "finished" (fermented) beer and then boil it until it caramelizes. Kind of a brochet brewski .

Edit: Yes yes I know brochets are not fermented first but rather after caramelization.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #2458
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 264

IMHO, Guinness is thin as water and has less flavor than BMC, whether in a can, a bottle or on tap. It's the exact opposite of what the general public thinks/says about it. Am I alone here?

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock, Bohemian Pilsner

Old 05-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #2459
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

If given a choice between a guinness (which I like an awful lot actually) and a PBR/Miller/Bud/whatever I will always choose a guinness. I dont think I can agree with you personally on that one.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #2460
Swarley88
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 609 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith66 View Post
IMHO, Guinness is thin as water and has less flavor than BMC, whether in a can, a bottle or on tap. It's the exact opposite of what the general public thinks/says about it. Am I alone here?
You're not alone, not a fan myself either. It looks like a full bodied stout but its not. I don't like the thin mouthfeel to it all. First time I saw someone pour it upside down into a pint glass from a can I almost **** my pants though. It was my ex gf and I go "WTF are you doing you're going to make a mess!" She wasn't happy I doubted her haha.

Quick Reply