Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #2291
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Look at it,there's no head space. so it's obvious at this point that it ain't beer...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #2292
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncorroy View Post
Saw this highlife bottle in a porta-potty at a baseball game. Couldn't tell if it was beer or pee. Does it matter?
...and that was after you sipped!
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)
Skeptidelphian Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 04:01 AM   #2293
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoolyBooger View Post
My wife was at a restaurant in St Louis with her mom, aunt, and sisters and asked the waiter what beers they had. He spouted of the typical BMCs and Schlafly.
I don't drink BMC, but having grown up in St. Louis, I have to chime in. I realize that waiters spout off the "typical BMCs" almost everywhere you go, but my recollection is that it is a misdemeanor to even mention a non-Anheuser-Busch beer in St. Louis. When I was a kid (late 60s, early 70s), Coor's (my Dad's favorite beer) was not even sold in Missouri. He used to stock up when we went camping in Colorado every summer, and smuggle it back home to St. Louis (definitely a felony). And you couldn't find Bud anywhere near the Rockies. Don't know if it's still the same these days. Cool history, crummy beer.
Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock, Bohemian Pilsner

Old 05-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #2294
b-boy
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 593 Times on 419 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith66 View Post

I don't drink BMC, but having grown up in St. Louis, I have to chime in. I realize that waiters spout off the "typical BMCs" almost everywhere you go, but my recollection is that it is a misdemeanor to even mention a non-Anheuser-Busch beer in St. Louis. When I was a kid (late 60s, early 70s), Coor's (my Dad's favorite beer) was not even sold in Missouri. He used to stock up when we went camping in Colorado every summer, and smuggle it back home to St. Louis (definitely a felony). And you couldn't find Bud anywhere near the Rockies. Don't know if it's still the same these days. Cool history, crummy beer.
We got a hold of some coors when I was in college. You couldn't get it out east. just like in Smokey and the Bandit.

We thought we had gold. We kept raving about how good it was. Looking back i'm pretty sure it was all in or heads.

Never underestimate the potential of someone who refuses to act their age.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #2295
russrob81
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith66

First thought in my head when reading this was "east bound and down" but b-boy beat me to the smokey and the bandit reference

Still had to throw the sing in though. Jerry Reed is a legend
Old 05-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #2296
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

We can get coors & the like around here. But the craft beer explosion is rapidly burying them,thank goodness. But I still miss the old time brands of the 50's & 60's. I still remember the Stroh's "bohemian style beer" labels seen in The Green Mile...

Old 05-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #2297
Keith66
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 247 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 265

Speaking of beers from my Midwest childhood (that my Dad and Grandpa drank), I was dumfounded when I saw Pabst Blue Ribbon make a comeback, especially as a trendy "retro" beer. I mean, if Pabst, why not Schlitz?

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled: Apple Cider, Helles Bock, Bohemian Pilsner

Old 05-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #2298
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

...or Blatz or Black Label or POC...?

Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #2299
drives_a_bike
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
...or Blatz or Black Label or POC...?
I used to live in uptown Minneapolis, and hung out with a lot of punk bands. Every time any of my friends had a party, the beer provided was PBR...if we ran out of that, the backup beer was Black Label. I remember asking, "what the hell is Black Label?". And somebody responded, "it's Canada's PBR". Haha

I'm not sure if I posted this before, but a few months back I went to Alabama for my brother Air Force Officer Commisioning. We went out to this local seafood joint, and I asked the waitress what beers they had. She rattled off the regular stuff and I asked off they had any craft beer/microbrews or any Alabama brewed beers.

She said, "brewing beer is illegal in Alabama", trying to be as nice as possible, I said, "well, home brewing is illegal, but there are still breweries". She argued that there wasn't and the only "fancy" beer they had was Ying Ling and since I had never had it, I gave it a shot...reminded me of Grain Belt

The funny part was, I had dinner at The Railyard Brewery the night before...I must have been imagining it though, after all it's illegal to brew beer in Alabama

Secondary: Night Train (Imperial Rye Cascadian Dark Ale)
Secondary: Festivus! (4th annual winter warmer)
On Tap: :(
On Tap: Rye Saison
Bottled and Cellaring: Xanadu Barleywine 2013
Bottled: Oaked Rye Porter

Old 05-05-2013, 04:22 AM   #2300
Cincy17
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith66 View Post
Speaking of beers from my Midwest childhood (that my Dad and Grandpa drank), I was dumfounded when I saw Pabst Blue Ribbon make a comeback, especially as a trendy "retro" beer. I mean, if Pabst, why not Schlitz?
I have seen Schlitz and Hamm's around in the last year. Both were cheaper than the typical BMC and I thought they were better too.

Quick Reply