Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #2091
JBOGAN
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 29

A co-worker asked me about my home brewing and about the ABV on some of them in which i responded back.At the time I a had a Hefe that was ready for drinking and he asked"What does that taste like compared to Bud or Miller?"How do you tell a man he has ate cube steak all his life what a NY Strip taste like?..I wanted to laugh but all i felt was pity.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #2092
JBOGAN
Recipes 

A co-worker asked me about my home brewing and about the ABV on some of them in which i responded back.At the time I a had a Hefe that was ready for drinking and he asked"What does that taste like compared to Bud or Miller?"How do you tell a man who has loved cube steak all his life what a NY Strip taste like?..I wanted to laugh but all i felt was pity.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #2093
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1772 Times on 1229 Posts
Likes Given: 3015

Im not trying to call you out but there are a whole lot of adjectives you could have used that he would understand. The guy was trying to engage you about your hobby, which was just good manners on his part.

The real pity was that you make no mention of offering him some so he could see for himself...

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

People Like This 
Old 04-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #2094
JBOGAN
Recipes 

To be honest you were trying to call me out.I have and will continue to tell him about home brewing but he drinks to get drunk and has tried craft beer and does not like it.Why would i waste my beer or time when he has no real interest in drinking any of it?He is not a bad guy but the question just struck me off guard.

Trust me,telling people about my hobby(passion) is a great joy but i refuse to get on a soap box or go out of my way to change a 55 year old man.Was this thread not about funny things you have overheard?

Old 04-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #2095
xtian116
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 4

My mon said homebrew is bad for you because of the yeast. She said they don't use yeast to make 'real' beer. So I asked how it's made, she said they just add alcohol to it.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #2096
MedicMang
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOGAN
To be honest you were trying to call me out.I have and will continue to tell him about home brewing but he drinks to get drunk and has tried craft beer and does not like it.Why would i waste my beer or time when he has no real interest in drinking any of it?He is not a bad guy but the question just struck me off guard.

Trust me,telling people about my hobby(passion) is a great joy but i refuse to get on a soap box or go out of my way to change a 55 year old man.Was this thread not about funny things you have overheard?
I do have to agree with you. I work for a fire dept. We are all good friends. They all ask about what I'm doing currently and some people enjoy my products. I do get frustrated when I gave a couple people a simple pale ale and when I asked if they liked it, they say "Well it ain't no bud light. That's all I drink. Yours almost had TOO much flavor and was heavy." I understand people have different palates and such, but he then went on to ask if he could try the robust porter I just made. I gave him one. Guess what. He didn't like it. I don't waste my beer on people like that anymore. They can never bring me my bottles back either.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #2097
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I have a choice few friends that I really share many of my beers with. Many of them just don't have a palate for anything more than BMC and that's all they really enjoy so why waste my beers and make them drink something they don't really like anyway. Some of them do go crazy for a good cider though so that's always an avenue to try if you're wanting to give them something they'll like.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 PM   #2098
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOGAN View Post
A co-worker asked me about my home brewing and about the ABV on some of them in which i responded back.At the time I a had a Hefe that was ready for drinking and he asked"What does that taste like compared to Bud or Miller?"How do you tell a man he has ate cube steak all his life what a NY Strip taste like?..I wanted to laugh but all i felt was pity.
How do you tell a man he has ate cube steak all his life what a NY Strip taste like?..
Sounds like you had a good comparison right there

Old 04-11-2013, 04:06 AM   #2099
JBOGAN
Recipes 

Palate is the hard liner.If you want to get drunk go buy a cheap case of swill.Secret is,I can spend just as much and buy a beer with tons of flavor and double the abv and get just as sh!t faced but I do not have to.BMC is the equivalent of believing everything you hear or see and no one or thing to tell you different.It is not my job or anyones job to turn someone on to good beer it is a personal journey.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:23 AM   #2100
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 483 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBOGAN View Post
Palate is the hard liner.If you want to get drunk go buy a cheap case of swill.Secret is,I can spend just as much and buy a beer with tons of flavor and double the abv and get just as sh!t faced but I do not have to.BMC is the equivalent of believing everything you hear or see and no one or thing to tell you different.It is not my job or anyones job to turn someone on to good beer it is a personal journey.
Exactly. I stumbled into it through total ignorance. They can do the same. I went out somewhere I hadn't been before and ordered a Coors Light.
"We don't have Coors Light."
"Ok. Just bring me something like a Coors Light."
They brought me a Mirror Pond. It was pretty good.
Next time I was out at my own place I asked if they had Mirror Pond. They didn't. "So, bring me something like a Mirror Pond."
They gave me a Mac & Jack's African Amber.

It went on like that for a while until I started to learn about real beer.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Quick Reply