Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #1691
jperry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpoff View Post
Have you ever had a beer in Amsterdam? They scrape the foam off at all the bar....like this
But then I've never really thought their beer was worth drinking much less getting hung up on how it is poured.
She was trying to help, but you just don't scrape the little amount of foam off of a double Ipa (Avery Maharaja), maybe a wheat beer or similarly carbed beer. It was perfect the way she brought it, so I told her to leave it and she said "Eww, you like the foam", now that's funny to me.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #1692
CreamyGoodness
Grows On You Like Yeast
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1586 Times on 1118 Posts
Likes Given: 2554

I chewed on some leaf hops, citra I think, really enjoyed it for the first 5 minutes but it was too much after that

You are more likely to have a threesome with members of the Japanese women's curling team whilst spinning a plate on your head than you are likely to screw up a batch of JAOM.

YES, WE HAVE TRIED OTHER YEASTS! USE BREAD YEAST FOR JAOM!

Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #1693
BreezyBrew
Fully Fermented.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 89 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
Not something I've heard, but something I've seen. Last weekend I was in Santa Rosa to visit Lagunitas, Bear Republic, and Russian River for the Pliny the younger release. The line to get into Russian River reached 6-8 hours at some points; however, I timed it right and only waited 1.5 hours to get in. Anyway, upon arrival into the brewpub, I find many people enjoying fine crafted Russian River brews, many of which were the 2013 offering of Pliny the Younger...except one guy sitting at the end of the bar. He was enjoying a Coors Light.
BBahahahaha made my day.

- 99% Perspiration 1% Beer
- "Sometimes you have to journey to realize where you are"

Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #1694
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Don't underestimate the importance of how the beer is poured!! I have a bookmark at home from one of Pilsner Urquell's website about how to pour a proper glass of beer, including discussion of dry foam vs wet foam, and then removing the dry foam at the end of the pour - differently then in the Heinekin video, but done for the same reason. There is scientific research done on dry vs wet foam in beer, and the characteristics of each!

Note that in the Heinie video, there is still a decent head on the beer, and most of Europe (except the Brits and Irish) insist on a nice head on their beer

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 02-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #1695
TyTanium
Recipes 

Liked 545 Times on 383 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Don't underestimate the importance of how the beer is poured!! I have a bookmark at home from one of Pilsner Urquell's website about how to pour a proper glass of beer, including discussion of dry foam vs wet foam, and then removing the dry foam at the end of the pour...
Request to post the link when you get home

Old 02-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #1696
WoolyBooger
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme

t: My FIL used to tell stories about his dad giving him and his sibling rabbit pellets and telling them they were 'smart pills'
I know a guy that offered his siblings the same "smart pills". After they ate one, he offered them another, which they declined. He told them, "See you're smarter already!"
Old 02-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #1697
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuckoo View Post
Not something I've heard, but something I've seen. Last weekend I was in Santa Rosa to visit Lagunitas, Bear Republic, and Russian River for the Pliny the younger release. The line to get into Russian River reached 6-8 hours at some points; however, I timed it right and only waited 1.5 hours to get in. Anyway, upon arrival into the brewpub, I find many people enjoying fine crafted Russian River brews, many of which were the 2013 offering of Pliny the Younger...except one guy sitting at the end of the bar. He was enjoying a Coors Light.
Good, would be a tragedy to waste a great beer on someone who wouldn't appreciate it fully.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 AM   #1698
vinnythering
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnythering View Post
My mom insists on putting oranges in everything I let her drink. Hefes are sort of acceptable, I guess, but I draw the line at my ESB, Optic/Ahtanum SMaSH, cream ale, kolsch, or pale ale. If it is clear and light enough to see through, she plops an orange in it. Thanks, Ma. Haven't seen her do it with an IPA yet, but I'm sure I will.
Hate to quote my own post, but she did it tonight. I come walking into the room and she has two orange wedges sunk in my IPA. I honestly don't understand...
Kegged: Standard Bitter Ver. 4; Random Honey Pale; Cream Ale Ver. 4
Future:
Johnnyhitch1 Likes This 
Old 02-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #1699
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnythering
My mom insists on putting oranges in everything I let her drink. Hefes are sort of acceptable, I guess, but I draw the line at my ESB, Optic/Ahtanum SMaSH, cream ale, kolsch, or pale ale. If it is clear and light enough to see through, she plops an orange in it. Thanks, Ma. Haven't seen her do it with an IPA yet, but I'm sure I will.

Quote:
Hate to quote my own post, but she did it tonight. I come walking into the room and she has two orange wedges sunk in my IPA. I honestly don't understand...

Was it hopped with Cascade? She might be onto something

Old 02-16-2013, 03:41 PM   #1700
vinnythering
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Warrior, Columbus, Simcoe, Zythos, Centennial. I don't think she's onto anything except my nerves!

Kegged: Standard Bitter Ver. 4; Random Honey Pale; Cream Ale Ver. 4
Future:
People Like This 

Quick Reply