Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #1551
Bierliebhaber
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinrathen View Post
Coors light has it's place in my world. I find it refreshing to drink on a hot summer day while tailgating or at a music festival.
Coors light definitely has a place in my world, too. Like when I've had some bad food and there's no ipecac to be found.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 03:32 AM   #1552
Spinrathen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierliebhaber View Post
Coors light definitely has a place in my world, too. Like when I've had some bad food and there's no ipecac to be found.
What can I say, sometimes it's fun to drink 30 beers over the course of a day. Usually that coincides with a music festival or tailgating.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #1553
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinrathen View Post
What can I say, sometimes it's fun to drink 30 beers over the course of a day. Usually that coincides with a music festival or tailgating.
Crappy beer is about $6 per beer at festivals, ball games, etc. You're cool with spending $180 to drink Coors?

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

jhoneycutt Likes This 
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #1554
Punity
ECS 4 LIFE!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Putting the train back on the rails

Was browsing the beer aisle for the new and improved selection along with a fellow who look interested like I did. Struck up convo with him nice enough guy but I had to chuckle when he really liked the widmere hefe becuase of the bananas they put in it made it not so heavy.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #1555
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punity View Post
Putting the train back on the rails

Was browsing the beer aisle for the new and improved selection along with a fellow who look interested like I did. Struck up convo with him nice enough guy but I had to chuckle when he really liked the widmere hefe becuase of the bananas they put in it made it not so heavy.
It's been a few years since I had one of their hefe's but I don't remember much banana flavor at all. I remember it being more like an american hefe. Am I wrong?

Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #1556
Punity
ECS 4 LIFE!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 233 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzycist

It's been a few years since I had one of their hefe's but I don't remember much banana flavor at all. I remember it being more like an american hefe. Am I wrong?
Exactly. I think he was trying to strike up convo as I was probably geeking out on him haha which I wasnt trying to do but so few people are open to the ins and outs of beer around here.

And rather then make it socially awkward I let it be.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #1557
Apatride
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebosox View Post
i try very hard not to get too snooty about lite lagers. No one wants to turn into the insufferable beer snob. I dont drink them that often, but they have their place, and are thirst quenching on a hot day when you're at a friends party and its all he has...

I grew up in an Irish household and Guinness was the gold standard. it wasn't until I had my beer awakening that i realized, Guinness really isn't that great.
I live in Ireland, I like Murphy's and love Beamish but I really cannot stand Guiness. Not only this is more of a fashion thing over here but they also have pretty aggressive sales methods: My local is the main craft beer bar in town, they have to trade beers for CO2 since Guiness controlls the CO2 market and do not deliver to pubs who don't server Guiness...

Latest funny one: A colleague knows I brew, he asks me about my beer and another colleague mentions:
-I do not like ales, they are too flat

Since he comes from Germany I tell him that beer are ales or lagers and that most German beer would be ales. His answer:
-So Guiness is an ale?
ME: Yes
HIM: Wrong, this is a Stout!!

Old 02-04-2013, 03:08 PM   #1558
Spinrathen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc View Post
Crappy beer is about $6 per beer at festivals, ball games, etc. You're cool with spending $180 to drink Coors?
We're talking about different things. When I tailgate or am at my campsite at a music festival (usually no glass allowed at either) I drink beer that I have brought with me. This usually consists of a case of coors light per person per day. We also generally bring a mini keg of bells for each day. There is no need to get all up in arms about people drinking coors light. On the 10 days a year I find myself in those situations I drink it happily, every other day of the year I'm drinking something I made or the best craft beer the bottle shop has in that week.

Point being it's absurd to judge someone based on what they are drinking at any particular moment.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #1559
WesleyBrewViking
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I could list dozens of "canned beers" that should have topped that list. A lot of smaller craft breweries sell cans. It's funny that they associate beer in cans with yellow adjunct lagers. I think it's particularly funny that Amstel Light was "A bit too malty for some tasters' palates."

*EDIT* I realized the one of the criteria for this taste test was nationwide availability. Still, I can think of lots of mass produced, inexpensive, internationally available beers that I think are vastly superior to the ones on this list.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #1560
WesleyBrewViking
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Something I find funny is when people make statements like "I like dark beers" when I know it really means they like Guinness and they've probably never heard of, let alone tasted a dunkel or schwarzbier.

On a similar note, it amuses me how some people define dark beer. I know some guys who (until I helped them expand their perspective) considered amber ales and IPAs to be "dark" beers, even though by definition they are amber and pale.

Quick Reply