The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #1511
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 815 Times on 573 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
Omg, I need to go there!
haha... reminds me of Liz Lemon: I want to go to there

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

hunter_la5 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #1512
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
next time in DC, try the Bier Baron, formerly the Brickskeller, Guinness World Record holder as "the bar with the largest selection of commercially available beers."

here's a list of what they have available
But Delirium Cafe has over 2000 beers. I thought they held the Guinness World Record.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9lirium_Caf%C3%A9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brickskeller

WHICH ONE IS IT, WIKIPEDIA???

EDIT: I think the Brickskeller people are lying.
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...?q=brikskeller

Back on topic: This is something that annoys me. I cant remember how many beers I've had that claim to be the strongest in the world or the oldest or the first of the style or some crap like that. It has become a joke with my wife and me. I once did a tour of a brewery where they claimed to have been the ones to invent lager. They said it was discovered by a kid who was given one of their malt drinks because he was sick. Supposidly he left the drink next to a cold window for a long time and, voila, lager was invented.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #1513
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

wikipedia sources this article in April 15, 2005 Washington Post

wouldn't be the first time WaPo was wrong

good catch. though it's still an amazing number of beers. we'll call it "the most in the US" until someone else can source someplace with more

(your search misspells "Brickskeller" but either way, search comes up NULL)

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout - bottle conditioning: DB8PT Session Ale, Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bulk conditioning: barleywine

Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #1514
Eddiebosox
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

i try very hard not to get too snooty about lite lagers. No one wants to turn into the insufferable beer snob. I dont drink them that often, but they have their place, and are thirst quenching on a hot day when you're at a friends party and its all he has...

I grew up in an Irish household and Guinness was the gold standard. it wasn't until I had my beer awakening that i realized, Guinness really isn't that great.

Bottled
Scottish 60 shilling
Black Butte Porter clone
British Bitter (split into two batches with Thames valley and Burton ale yeast)

Old 02-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #1515
Eddiebosox
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
wikipedia sources this article in April 15, 2005 Washington Post

wouldn't be the first time WaPo was wrong

good catch. though it's still an amazing number of beers. we'll call it "the most in the US" until someone else can source someplace with more

(your search misspells "Brickskeller" but either way, search comes up NULL)
I'm live in DC and I rarely go there. Its a dive for one, and a lot of the beers they say they have they just dont have. Plus, a lot of them are past their prime, they aren't kept in the right temperature, and there's a limited draft menu. The place to go to is Church Key, a beer geeks dream come true.

Bottled
Scottish 60 shilling
Black Butte Porter clone

Old 02-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #1516
robertfraser
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkwolf
OT, but have you ever seen someone actually do that? (Kick themselves in the nads, that is)

Had a guy on my floor freshman year of college that figured out one night he could do it. And would, on request.

Which we did often.

Pretty sure he can't breed now. (Which, in retrospect, is probably a good thing.)

Edit to add: The non-knee dislocating trick is, you use the heel of your foot in an upward striking motion. I personally thank all that is good and holy that I am nowhere near flexible enough for an accidental self-inflicted nad kick, but it can be done.
you guys are an awesome goldmine of information.... I'm setting aside the weekend for auto-gonadal pummelation practice.....

Wait, to make sure I stay on topic....
(ACTUALLY, THE PROPER TERM IS "SELF-TESTICULAR PUNTING")

Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #1517
Eddiebosox
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woknblues View Post
I used to run a few bars and have heard a lot of funny things people say about beer, but I am sure these have been posted, however:

"I can't drink Guinness, it get's me too drunk" -and other dark beer=high ABV assumptions

"All I can drink is Corona Extra (or some other beer) everything else gives me the @#$%s" -is there something magical in corona that prevents diarrhea?

"My beer is warm" -when it is 34-36 degrees Fahrenheit.

"No thanks, beer makes you fat" -as they are eating a giant plate of french fries with a rum and diet coke.

v.1 "That is a sissy beer" they say about craft/micros and order a BMC macro "man's beer"

v.2 "That is a sissy beer" they say about Bud Light, and then they order a Budweiser.

I could go on and on...
Good list. Here's mine:

Hipsters who drink PBR because they thinks its ironic, yet are also food snobs.

people who drink beer in a frosted glass.

Bottled
Scottish 60 shilling
Black Butte Porter clone

Old 02-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #1518
GrogNerd
Mean Old Man
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiebosox View Post
I'm live in DC and I rarely go there. Its a dive for one, and a lot of the beers they say they have they just dont have. Plus, a lot of them are past their prime, they aren't kept in the right temperature, and there's a limited draft menu. The place to go to is Church Key, a beer geeks dream come true.
next time I'm downtown, I'll have to check out Church Key, THANKS!

but I haven't been down that way since it was the Brickskeller

Old 02-01-2013, 09:07 PM   #1519
ViperMan
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

OH OH OH I've got one...

My father-in-law is a bit prude'ish, and doesn't look favorably on "fun" in pretty much any kind or form... I however ended up getting his daughter pregnant after 6 years of marriage. I knew he wouldn't smoke a cigar with me, but he agreed to go "halfsies" on a beer. So I brewed a stout and called it "Poopy Diaper Ale" for our first kid. Unfortunately, it got some bacteria and didn't come out right.

I poured him a half-glass anyways to see what he thought. He took a few sips and it was obvious he didn't care for it. So I said, "Alright, well since that stunk, let me share something else with you..." I went to the fridge and grabbed another homebrew - an amber ale with paradise seed. He chuckled nervously from the dining room and said,

"Well, alright, but I DO have to drive tomorrow..."

Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #1520
WesleyBrewViking
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfraser View Post
-snip- I'm setting aside the weekend for auto-gonadal pummelation practice..... -snip-
Scene from CSI (or other criminal forensics drama):

"Notice the ovate contusions on the adductor group and scrotal hematoma."
"Yeah. Looks to me like our John Doe was into auto-gonadal pummelation."

Quick Reply