Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #1501
jamesdawsey
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

A friend of mine used to drink nothing but Budweiser. Periodically I would share what I consider to be good beer - which is darn near anything except an american lager at this point - and anytime he tasted anything darker than a blonde ale he would tell me that "All dark beers taste like soy sauce!"

We just bottled his first homebrew - a lil sumpin wild clone (which, by the way, turned out really well. We're calling it Barnyard Funk.), and he won't touch budweiser anymore.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #1502
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 962 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

I like soy sauce...

The Ticks power is ignorance. What he doesn't know can't hurt him. So he is nigh invulnerable.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #1503
Vellum
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdawsey View Post
A friend of mine used to drink nothing but Budweiser. Periodically I would share what I consider to be good beer - which is darn near anything except an american lager at this point - and anytime he tasted anything darker than a blonde ale he would tell me that "All dark beers taste like soy sauce!"

We just bottled his first homebrew - a lil sumpin wild clone (which, by the way, turned out really well. We're calling it Barnyard Funk.), and he won't touch budweiser anymore.
Do you by chance have a recipe link for the lil sumpin wild clone? That is a mighty tasty beer.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 AM   #1504
loetz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

In reply to this post that copied an Amazon review of 350 Beers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierliebhaber View Post
So on to the innacuracies:

...Austria and Switzerland: The most recognizable and noteworthy beer that either one of these countries ever made is Samichlaus. Not even a mention?...

...Australia: Foster's gets it's own page and Cooper's doesn't even get a mention. Nuff said...
What the reviewer said about Austrian beer is way off. The Austrians invented the Märzen beer which moved to Germany and later became the beer that you in America know as Octoberfest. Austrians also have a quite popular style of beer called zwickel which is a young, unfiltered beer. Over 99% of the population here in Austria have never heard of Samichlaus. That is an overhyped beer exported to America. I suppose it's like thinking that all Australians drink Fosters.

Oh, and ever heard of Vienna lagers?
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 AM   #1505
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by loetz View Post
Oh, and ever heard of Vienna lagers?
Never heard of her...cool last name though.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #1506
woknblues
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I used to run a few bars and have heard a lot of funny things people say about beer, but I am sure these have been posted, however:

"I can't drink Guinness, it get's me too drunk" -and other dark beer=high ABV assumptions

"All I can drink is Corona Extra (or some other beer) everything else gives me the @#$%s" -is there something magical in corona that prevents diarrhea?

"My beer is warm" -when it is 34-36 degrees Fahrenheit.

"No thanks, beer makes you fat" -as they are eating a giant plate of french fries with a rum and diet coke.

v.1 "That is a sissy beer" they say about craft/micros and order a BMC macro "man's beer"

v.2 "That is a sissy beer" they say about Bud Light, and then they order a Budweiser.

I could go on and on...

Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 AM   #1507
theveganbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 291 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 265

--

-Retired Homebrewer

Old 02-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #1508
Mobius570
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Was in Washington DC around Christmas time for work and we took a break and walked to a local pub. On the front windows in huge letters it says "Lagers - Stouts - Ales". then they have a Dogfish Head sign with a chalk board that listed their specials. Inside they didn't serve one Dogfish Head brew and only had Sam Adams, Boddingtons, Guiness, and BMC's. I should of know from the window lettering to stay away.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #1509
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 868 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius570 View Post
Was in Washington DC around Christmas time for work and we took a break and walked to a local pub. On the front windows in huge letters it says "Lagers - Stouts - Ales". then they have a Dogfish Head sign with a chalk board that listed their specials. Inside they didn't serve one Dogfish Head brew and only had Sam Adams, Boddingtons, Guiness, and BMC's. I should of know from the window lettering to stay away.
next time in DC, try the Bier Baron, formerly the Brickskeller, Guinness World Record holder as "the bar with the largest selection of commercially available beers."

here's a list of what they have available

"Why must it always be pandemonium?" - George Mueller/Nelson Van Alden

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 02-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #1510
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post

next time in DC, try the Bier Baron, formerly the Brickskeller, Guinness World Record holder as "the bar with the largest selection of commercially available beers."

here's a list of what they have available
Omg, I need to go there!

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Quick Reply