Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 AM   #1481
malweth
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 159

I finally saw someone pour a BMC Lite into a glass filled with ice. He must have been a regular - he didn't even have to ask. (Funny . . . it was a bottle and I couldn't tell you which sort of BMC it was).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
Right from my microbiology book:

I assume they left out coffee and tea because it's a microbiology book? Dictionaries break this term down too much. I always took it to mean "to stew a beverage in a pot," thus witches brew, beer, and tea all follow the same process.
[Carboy #1] "Oud Renard Rood" Flanders Red
[Carboy #2] Whitewood 12° Abt
[Carboy #3] Opus Mosaic Brown

[On Tap (Keg)]
(L) Shut De Do (Belgian Golden Strong / Tripel)
(R)
(on deck) Pineapple Wine
(on deck) Russian Imperial Stout (1 year aged)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #1482
SagamoreAle
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenon View Post
I'd say "ale-y" is all the flavors that we associate with ales that are not associated with most lagers. So, big malt character and/or heavy use of hops, lots of yeast character, thick mouthfeel.
Cream ale is probably one of the best bets for an american lager drinker, so it sounds like you rather understood it too
OT but:

Raenon: I noticed your avatar. GITS fan over here as well.

Ex fermentum, scientia.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:08 PM   #1483
Marauder
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zythophile

What exactly is your problem? The piece says, accurately, what "ale" used to mean. It then goes into how the meaning of "ale" has changed over the centuries. Nowhere does it say that the current usage for the word "ale" is wrong. Nor is it trying to "correct" anything.
You obviously came in late and didn't read the whole conversation. You should do that next time before you resurrect an argument. The article is not what I was calling incorrect. The person citing it, misused in a poor attempt to correct someone on something. Look to posts up from this post and see the microbiology book quoted. The original
Post of the micro book way back was the start of the conversation, go all the way back and find that OP and read the WHOLE story from there and you will understand(you should have done this before you tried to jump on me)

Old 01-31-2013, 12:34 PM   #1484
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I think this thread would be half as long without all the "Well, actually..." arguments. IMHO, the current meaning of "Well, actually.." should become the archaic meaning. And hence forth "Well, actually..." and its variants should be understood as an abbreviated way to say, "Quick! Kick me in the balls before I finish the rest of this sentence!"

Anyways...I was recently visiting my cousin and his wife and they took me to the Yard House. His wife then recalled a time several years ago when they visited us in Portland and we took them out to a brew pub to hang out. Now, while the pub brewed their own beer, they had the lone bmc lite tap for those who swing that way. When it came time to order beers she began ordered the bmc lite. In her recollection I apparently looked like I was about to "rip her head off." She then quickly aborted her bmc order to see if there was something else she should get. In my recollection, I calmly explained that if she had come all the way to Portland--a brew pub in Portland--she would probably enjoy trying some of the local brew. Comparing it to going to Italy and asking the restaurant if they have Kraft mac n'cheese. But they just like to give me a hard time about that b/c they know I'm enthusiastic about good beer.

Old 01-31-2013, 12:45 PM   #1485
Marauder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierliebhaber
IMHO, the current meaning of "Well, actually.." should become the archaic meaning. And hence forth "Well, actually..." and its variants should be understood as an abbreviated way to say, "Quick! Kick me in the balls before I finish the rest of this sentence!".
Hahha good point seeing as "Well actually..." Is more often than not followed by some random fact that doesn't even apply that someone pulls out of left field just to sound like they are just overflowingly full of knowledge

Example: hey dude you spelled hopps wrong
"We'll actually originally a tribe in papa new gunie discovered hops in the early 1500s and spelled then as Hopps with two Ps which we later found documented on the Mayan calendar. So technically he didn't spell hops wrong he we referring to the ancient spelling"

I see how this could easily be resolved with a swift kick in the nards
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #1486
schwibbidy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer
I heard this dumb 13 year old girl saying beer kills brain cells, makes you gain weight, and destroys your liver.

Was like.. bitch I ain't that fat.. YET.
Lol ignorance is bliss

Old 01-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #1487
ianw58
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierliebhaber View Post
And hence forth "Well, actually..." and its variants should be understood as an abbreviated way to say, "Quick! Kick me in the balls before I finish the rest of this sentence!"

Awesome!
Old 01-31-2013, 02:18 PM   #1488
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

No,that's just wrong. I've used the "well,...actually" thing before. It's more like the way you'd say something to a person's face & less cold like an internet forum. Less like a troll to me & more like the way you speak. I also think it's a bit more polite than saying,"hey a$$wipe! you're only half right you dumb f***. You're a stupid a$$ & I'm smarter cause I said so!". That's how some of you sound to me when you criticise when folks try to write the way they'd speak to you in person. When I was in college in the early 80's,the comm II proffesor taught us to write the way we speak. Just learn better words to bring your speach up to par with writing skills. So let's concentrate on folks trying to help other folks & not be a bunch of nazi grammer trolls. Ha,there's a new one. Just tried to imagine what a nazi grammer troll'd look like.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:29 PM   #1489
Marauder
Recipes 

Haha sound advice, and I would not say all "well actually" users are dbags. I have seen you around the forum and seen you use it, and you never came off as an asshole to me lol. But many people who use "well actually" are trying to be, as you so eloquently put it "nazi grammar trolls"

Doesn't seem like something I want to try and picture haha.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:40 PM   #1490
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Yeah man,I lol's right after I typed it,imagining hitler as a troll with the mustache,armband,etc. Some do try to come off sounding more intelligent than they really are. But over the course of time one can see from their writing style what the case really is. But,as long as the douchbaggery is held at bay,I guess it's ok to a point.

Quick Reply