Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 01:01 AM   #1471
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 867 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Howdy is a beagle. purebred, but no papers. rescued almost 3 years ago and he will be (edit) 6 at the end of February

got his name from the freckles on his nose. we thought he looked like Howdy Doody

img_7228.jpg

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 01:12 AM   #1472
WesleyS
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2695 Times on 1757 Posts
Likes Given: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2

Oh no, not this again
Yes I think that was covered and then some.
Thread derailment in 3...2...1...
:P

Long story short, Beer.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:14 AM   #1473
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I think this thread has seen more derailments than Amtrak!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #1474
Marauder
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd
Howdy is a beagle. purebred, but no papers. rescued almost 3 years ago and he will be 5 at the end of February

got his name from the freckles on his nose. we thought he looked like Howdy Doody
awesome beagles are cool and rescue dogs are great I have 2 rescues, one Pitt and one mix of hound of some sort that no one, not even his vets, can identify what exactly he is haha anyway back to funny things overheard about beer...
Old 01-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #1475
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 324 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambeer View Post
I heard this dumb 13 year old girl saying beer kills brain cells, makes you gain weight, and destroys your liver.

Was like.. bitch I ain't that fat.. YET.
A girl about the same age said "alcohol destroys lives" and got an approving nod from her grandmother. I didn't know what to say. Some battles are not worth fighting. It does irk me that people raise children to be afraid of everything, and cast blanket judgements.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 AM   #1476
iambeer
Recipes 

Liked 158 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
A girl about the same age said "alcohol destroys lives" and got an approving nod from her grandmother. I didn't know what to say. Some battles are not worth fighting. It does irk me that people raise children to be afraid of everything, and cast blanket judgements.
You should have threatened her in a desperate manner, and then huffed and puffed yourself into a panic attack.

The word, if it's your kid, isn't 'afraid' it's 'cautious'. Kids grow up. Grandmothers die. Beer bellies bloat. Etc.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:04 AM   #1477
Fizzycist
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Grog, what a cool looking dog in your picture, what breed? The pic is very small in my app, beagle or basset or something I am guessing
A+ on that topic redirect.

I heard a radio ad today for a recently opened brew pub. They compared their "freshest beer in Idaho" to the ever popular BMC. I just wonder why they would bother. BMC drinkers won't change based on a radio ad from some "froofy $4 a pint place! 'Merica!", and craft drinkers will assume either they don't know beer well enough to make anything good, or recognize it's a full-of-crap marketing technique and avoid the place out of spite.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 AM   #1478
morticus
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzycist

A+ on that topic redirect.

I heard a radio ad today for a recently opened brew pub. They compared their "freshest beer in Idaho" to the ever popular BMC. I just wonder why they would bother. BMC drinkers won't change based on a radio ad from some "froofy $4 a pint place! 'Merica!", and craft drinkers will assume either they don't know beer well enough to make anything good, or recognize it's a full-of-crap marketing technique and avoid the place out of spite.
Yup.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 AM   #1479
Zythophile
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Most likely the book wasn't published anywhere near that time, and I am also pretty sure if it was, the book has had an update and/or revision since that time(the early 1900s?). So no it's still wrong. This is supposed to be researched and scholarly work and that definition isn't near current or correct. So yes it IS funny. Don't let him knock you, some people like to pull this type of stuff, drawing on antiquated material from beer history, to sound like they know something, and make these ridiculous types of corrections. Makes them feel smart or something. "Well actually it used to be blah blah," Well it ISN'T now so no still wrong. We had a few throw downs in this thread over this type of thing already... I remember a nightmare of something about an archaichly phrased book??
What exactly is your problem? The piece says, accurately, what "ale" used to mean. It then goes into how the meaning of "ale" has changed over the centuries. Nowhere does it say that the current usage for the word "ale" is wrong. Nor is it trying to "correct" anything.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 AM   #1480
flyingfinbar
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I helped my best friend on Earth's parents move into Florida this past weekend. I went to the beer distro with his father who was treating me to some beers, he knows I love craft brew....we step into the distro, and he goes, "the imports are over there, I'll be over here" as he moseys on over the the BMC stuff...the "import" section was, of course, the craft brew section. On a side note, I got some CC Jai-Alai and Bell's Two Hearted!

Good LAWD it's a long drive from Long Island to Florida!

Quick Reply