Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 01:44 PM   #1171
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyGatzke View Post
I've heard too many dumb things about beer to keep track of, but one thing that made me chuckle (and cringe) recently was on the cover of a book about beer. My wife bought me a book for Christmas titled "BEERS OF THE WORLD - Over 350 Classic Beers, Lagers, Ales, and Porters[/B"]

*shudder*

My immediate thought: if someone doesn't properly understand those relationships, why would they write a book about it?
Actually that terminology was used before yeast was really well understood and porters referred to any very dark beer whereas ales were lighter colored beers that were not lagered.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:03 PM   #1172
Marauder
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7

Actually that terminology was used before yeast was really well understood and porters referred to any very dark beer whereas ales were lighter colored beers that were not lagered.
Interesting, but still, the relationship of the last three to beer is still displayed wrong in this list. The wording here suggests that these are 4 completely different types of beverage of their own, when we all know that ales and lagers, different from each other, are not different from beer. All of the last 3 listed fall under beer (even by those outdated definitions). A colon or semicolon rather than comma after beer would be more appropriate, and by the -current- definitions of ale and porter, it should not be listed as a separate entity categorized with ales and lagers, but under ales. But I'm assuming you know all this and just like to skew things for arguments sake. I don't usually play grammar police, but this is a published book we are talking about not just a forum post, this is either poor writing, or as someone earlier suggested, a misunderstanding of these relationships by the author.

To put it more simply you could not say, "I don't like beer, but I like ale."
Or
"I like porters, but I do not like ales." at least not by the current definition anyway (unless you specified Baltic porters I suppose, or you existed back when the definitions you mentioned were current.)
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #1173
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 867 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
I would buy this argument if the book was published in 1824

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

Old 01-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #1174
Marauder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd

Thank you haha

Old 01-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #1175
WesleyBrewViking
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyS View Post
Attachment 93751

You mean this?

My wife bought me the same book as part of a whole beer themed anniversary gift last year.
That's the one. I've got the hardcover edition, too. After reading a bit, I realised the "beers, lager, ales, porters" thing on the cover was probably added by someone at the publishing company, because the inside uses much better terminology.

Quote:
Yes, lagers came before the invention of porters which came before the knowledge of yeast's role in brewing, but to quote GrogNerd:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post
Here in the 21st century, I wouldn't ask a guest "What kind of beer do you want? We've got beers, lagers, ales and porters. Take your pick."
Old 01-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #1176
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2011 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

I agree that at least a semi colon should've come after "Beer". It's a generic term.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #1177
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!

Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrogNerd View Post

Point being the terminology is not incorrect. It's slightly archaic is all. Like naming your antique store "Ye Olde Shoppe."

Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #1178
Marauder
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyGatzke

Here in the 21st century, I wouldn't ask a guest "What kind of beer do you want? We've got beers, lagers, ales and porters. Take your pick."
I think a lot of the people we have quoted in this thread for saying funny things about beer might answer this question without skipping a beat to sound knowledgeable haha might be fun to try one time. Then give them something completely different from what they ask for, and come back and tell us about it...
Old 01-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #1179
GrogNerd
Why must it always be pandemonium?
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 867 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Point being the terminology is not incorrect. It's slightly archaic is all. Like naming your antique store "Ye Olde Shoppe."
technically, it IS incorrect.

it's like writing a book called BEEF OF THE WORLD: over 350 classic beef, burgers, steaks and sirloins

or like telling me, "meet my wife and my sister" and there's only one woman with you

"If you want to do something, do it and then have a homebrew. If you don't want to do it, just have a homebrew" - Charlie Papazian

"Beer. Good." - Words of House Grog

drinking: Maibock, DB8Point IPA Clone, Belgian Wit, Rain Delay IPA, Wojtkowiak Piwo, CLB's Barleywine, 8Hearted Pale Ale, O'Rob's Dry Irish Stout, DB8PT Session Ale, Wojtkowiak Grodziskie - bottle conditioning: Otto M. Gourd Pumpkin Barleywine, Jewel Thieves Apple Wine, CLB's Barleywine 1.2

People Like This 
Old 01-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #1180
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 2011 Times on 1762 Posts
Likes Given: 1487

It's how the word "beer" is used in this context. It's a generic term being used as a pronoun. Hence the need for a colon. Even my comm profesors would argue this point.

Quick Reply