Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 PM   #1131
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabebeernerd

i would of had to say, "yes, yes it is, exactly like that one", and laughed out loud at least once a day for the next week when i tried to picture their faces after opening it.
+1!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #1132
bergen69
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 19 Posts

Overheard at Johns Grocery...from a beer "know it all"..."I only drink beer out of a graveler", meaning "grumbler"...opps I mean growler.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:36 PM   #1133
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1027 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellum View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one to experience this. I think they are trying to pay a compliment but lack the vocabulary to give it.
Too true. For most, a SA is the most flavor they have had in a beer. They may actually come around in due time.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:12 AM   #1134
drives_a_bike
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I stopped at a gas station tonight on my way back to my hotel to get some beer. I've been told this place has the best beer selection in town, and I will say, their selection is very wide. They still have spring seasonals...mmmm, yummy.
Anyway, I got a sixer of New Belgium Snowday, and when I went to the counter the girl asked me if this was a dark beer. I said, "well, yeah...it's dark, but it's tastes lighter than it looks and it's hoppy". She said, "oh like ummm...have you ever had amber bock? Or is it dark like an IPA?". I didn't know what to say and there were now people behind me waiting, so I politely said, "you should just try it and see what you think, I like it."

WOW!

On deck: Rye Saison
Primary: Oaked Rye Porter
Secondary: Cow Catcher in the Rye (RyePA)
Secondary: Pinneywick Pale Ale (Honey Basil Double Pale)
Secondary: Xanadu Barleywine 2013

Old 01-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #1135
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 924 Times on 660 Posts
Likes Given: 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by drives_a_bike View Post
I stopped at a gas station tonight on my way back to my hotel to get some beer. I've been told this place has the best beer selection in town, and I will say, their selection is very wide. They still have spring seasonals...mmmm, yummy.
Anyway, I got a sixer of New Belgium Snowday, and when I went to the counter the girl asked me if this was a dark beer. I said, "well, yeah...it's dark, but it's tastes lighter than it looks and it's hoppy". She said, "oh like ummm...have you ever had amber bock? Or is it dark like an IPA?". I didn't know what to say and there were now people behind me waiting, so I politely said, "you should just try it and see what you think, I like it."

WOW!
I'm pretty sure she was hitting on you . . .

drives_a_bike Likes This 
Old 01-11-2013, 05:49 PM   #1136
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

My wife overheard a woman at her work the other day telling someone that Saki is one of the strongest forms of alcohol.

Another one...

My father enjoys good beer thanks to my influence but God love him he is retarded when it comes to beer knowledge no matter how much I try and educate him. One time we were at a restaurant and the waiter asked him what he wanted to drink and he says "I want either an ale or a lager." The waiter just stared at him not knowing if he was screwing with her. He wasn't so I just told her to bring him a Newcastle.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #1137
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 265 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 80

I'm sure someone posted this but when I was at a BBQ one of the old school beer guys (the I like change with my 10 for a case of beer kind) asked me if I had brought and "drought" beer, and I looked at him really confused. He said you know like Guinness. I responded with oh you mean a Stout, yeah I happen to have some Guinness since I heard you liked it. You know the normal boring social conversations.

But he was intent on proving me a "beer snob" wrong. he gets the bottle and gets a big sheisse essen grin on his face and turns the bottle around and proclaims he was right, and points out that on the label below Guinness is the word "draught" I have a little chuckle and explain that's the method they use to get a very specific pour with the Guinness to simulate how it would naturally pour from a cask. And went to Beer Advocate to show him it was Dry Irish stout.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #1138
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhelanKA7 View Post
My wife overheard a woman at her work the other day telling someone that Saki is one of the strongest forms of alcohol.
Isn't sake one of the strongest non-distilled alcohols, on average?
Beer =6%
Wine =14%
Saki = 20%
That's my understading of the averages of each. VERY generally speaking

Old 01-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #1139
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbrust View Post
Isn't sake one of the strongest non-distilled alcohols, on average?
Beer =6%
Wine =14%
Saki = 20%That's my understading of the averages of each. VERY generally speaking
Sake is generally diluted to 15% according to Wikipedia but yeah. Still this lady was making it out to be like Everclear or something like that.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #1140
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappers_ View Post
I'm pretty sure she was hitting on you . . .

My thoughts exactly. You should endeavor to, umm, educate her.
For they garner the succulent berries of the hop and mass and sift and bruise and brew them and they mix therewith sour juices and bring the must to the sacred fire and cease not night or day from their toil, those cunning brothers, lords of the vat. -James Joyce

On deck: Orange Cranberry Wit, Dusseldorf Altbier
Primary: Belgian Partigyle Tripel/Saison, 1/1
Secondary: none
Bottles: Northern Brown Ale, 1/10; English IPA, 12/31; Cider, 12/9; White House Honey Ale AG, 12/9;

Quick Reply