New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #1111
Lushife
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey
i bartend at a local beer and shot type of bar and a ton of the customers refer to anything that is not bud or miller lite as a "wheat beer"
drives me nuts
Where in NJ are you?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 AM   #1112
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 945 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarley88 View Post
Face palm. Why do people fall into advertisements and crappy beer lies and think that those are the only beers out there?
It's easier then thinking.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:13 AM   #1113
Swarley88
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 602 Times on 369 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadgolem View Post
It's easier then thinking.
Thinking hurts my brain too much! So painful to think logically hahaha.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 AM   #1114
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 102

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
Went to TGI Fridays today because I got a gift card. Beer selection was pretty bad so I settled with one I hadn't had but seemed most likely to be a decent "craft" brew

Me: ill have a newcastle brown ale
Waitress: a Newcastle?? (Looks confused)
Me: (trying to help the confusion) do you need my ID or something?
Waitress: umm it's a drink?
I nod
Waitress: um yes please let me see it, anyone who looks under 40 sorry no offense
Me: oh no problem
Waitress: so a new, castle? That's a beer or a cocktail? Sorry I don't drink much

I tend not to be rude to people handling my food and drinks, also I am fairly certain she was new, and she was extremely polite, and apologetic, so I'm not going to flip out on some poor waitress like a dbag, but if she wasn't new then what the hell is wrong with her? I don't care if you don't drink you should know what your restaurant is selling. I have a feeling many people besides myself ask before almost anything else, "what do you have on draft?"

Oh and she came back to tell me they were out of newcastle, so I still haven't had it, is this a good beer?
It's a good beer. Who hasn't had a Newcastle though?

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

porky_pine Likes This 
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #1115
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Here's one from tonight. I'm currently home for the holidays and was out shopping at Trader Joe's with my mother (who despises all beer, though she tolerates my addiction). I was checking out the beer section and was excited to see that they had this:

which is made by Unibroue (my personal favorite brewing co) and is supposed to be excellent. They had cases of it stacked in the middle of the aisle between the wine and beer sections, though the bottle I grabbed was actually from the beer shelf. I was remarking on my excitement about this find to my mother, when a young couple (though I probably shouldn't call them such, since they were probably only a year or two younger than I) comes up to us and the girl picks up one of the bottles and says to me, "Oh, is this really good?" I should mention that, while I try not to stereotype, this pair looked quite like the college-age-but-probably-not-attending-college-BMC drinkers, so I was delighted to see her taking an interest in craft beer. Of course I immediately launch into my explanation that while it's "TJ's", it's actually made my Unibroue and that they make excellent Belgians and are my favorite brewing co. and that I've heard great things about the beer, and for the price ($5) you really can't beat it for a decent Belgian. I get to the end of my explanation and she only has one thing to ask, "So, is it like about the same as this?", and proceeds to hold up a bottle of this:

Yes, that is Two Buck Chuck. Or rather Three Buck Chuck where I live. And that is most definitely wine.

I was slightly confused by this and explained to her that the beverage in question was beer, not wine, to which she remarked, "Oh! But it's in a wine bottle!" My mother was pretty much kicking me by this point to not have a complete pedantic flipout on the poor girl, so I just calmly explained to her that many Belgian style beers are bottled in champagne-style cork and cage bottles, ignoring the fact that that most certainly is not a wine bottle. Maybe champagne bottle I could understand. If the bottle didn't say "ALE" across the front in two prominent places.

Once she figured out it was beer, she proceeded to tell me that she liked "any alcohol, beer, wine, whatever," and asked what the difference was between that and the beer next to it (also in champagne bottles), a golden ale. I explained that they were both Belgian styles, but this one was darker, and she made the "Eww, Guinness" face, i.e. the "I think dark beers means massive roasted malts and bitterness" face. I started to explain that BSDA's are more likely to have nice raisin/dark fruit notes than bitterness, but I did actually get kicked by my mother at this point, and it was hopeless. She walked out with the bottle of golden ale, thinking it would be closer to the fizzy yellow tasteless lagers she so adores. I only wish I could be a fly on her wall tomorrow when she tastes it.

Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Maudite Dubbel-ish Belgian Thing; Dessert Stout; Dunkelweizen. Nom nom.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #1116
Catfish78
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusStarr
Here's one from tonight. I'm currently home for the holidays and was out shopping at Trader Joe's with my mother (who despises all beer, though she tolerates my addiction). I was checking out the beer section and was excited to see that they had this:

which is made by Unibroue (my personal favorite brewing co) and is supposed to be excellent. They had cases of it stacked in the middle of the aisle between the wine and beer sections, though the bottle I grabbed was actually from the beer shelf. I was remarking on my excitement about this find to my mother, when a young couple (though I probably shouldn't call them such, since they were probably only a year or two younger than I) comes up to us and the girl picks up one of the bottles and says to me, "Oh, is this really good?" I should mention that, while I try not to stereotype, this pair looked quite like the college-age-but-probably-not-attending-college-BMC drinkers, so I was delighted to see her taking an interest in craft beer. Of course I immediately launch into my explanation that while it's "TJ's", it's actually made my Unibroue and that they make excellent Belgians and are my favorite brewing co. and that I've heard great things about the beer, and for the price ($5) you really can't beat it for a decent Belgian. I get to the end of my explanation and she only has one thing to ask, "So, is it like about the same as this?", and proceeds to hold up a bottle of this:

Yes, that is Two Buck Chuck. Or rather Three Buck Chuck where I live. And that is most definitely wine.

I was slightly confused by this and explained to her that the beverage in question was beer, not wine, to which she remarked, "Oh! But it's in a wine bottle!" My mother was pretty much kicking me by this point to not have a complete pedantic flipout on the poor girl, so I just calmly explained to her that many Belgian style beers are bottled in champagne-style cork and cage bottles, ignoring the fact that that most certainly is not a wine bottle. Maybe champagne bottle I could understand. If the bottle didn't say "ALE" across the front in two prominent places.

Once she figured out it was beer, she proceeded to tell me that she liked "any alcohol, beer, wine, whatever," and asked what the difference was between that and the beer next to it (also in champagne bottles), a golden ale. I explained that they were both Belgian styles, but this one was darker, and she made the "Eww, Guinness" face, i.e. the "I think dark beers means massive roasted malts and bitterness" face. I started to explain that BSDA's are more likely to have nice raisin/dark fruit notes than bitterness, but I did actually get kicked by my mother at this point, and it was hopeless. She walked out with the bottle of golden ale, thinking it would be closer to the fizzy yellow tasteless lagers she so adores. I only wish I could be a fly on her wall tomorrow when she tastes it.
I applaud your patience. When she held up the wine bottle, I would have had to walk away.

Old 01-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #1117
Marauder
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriusStarr

Once she figured out it was beer, she proceeded to tell me that she liked "any alcohol, beer, wine, whatever,"
Ha! I used to look for these types of girls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish78

I applaud your patience. When she held up the wine bottle, I would have had to walk away.
+1
Old 01-08-2013, 12:21 PM   #1118
WannabeBeerNerd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish78 View Post
I would of had to say, "Yes, yes it is, exactly like that one", and laughed out loud at least once a day for the next week when I tried to picture their faces after opening it.

Immature, I know, but some people are just beyond educating. There was a wine bar near my old house in AZ that sold Tshirts that said "Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"....didn't say anything about having a little fun at the expense of the occasional clueless stranger though.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #1119
Marauder
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeBeerNerd

I would of had to say, "Yes, yes it is, exactly like that one", and laughed out loud at least once a day for the next week when I tried to picture their faces after opening it.

Immature, I know...
Maybe I am also immature, but I like the way you think. I would be looking crazy, laughing to myself randomly for several days. Eventually I would have to tell SWMBO why, and she would undoubtedly tell me I was a bad person.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #1120
SiriusStarr
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Ha! I used to look for these types of girls.
We keep coming back to this male thing in this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeBeerNerd View Post

Immature, I know, but some people are just beyond educating. There was a wine bar near my old house in AZ that sold Tshirts that said "Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"....didn't say anything about having a little fun at the expense of the occasional clueless stranger though.
I only wish I could have seen my mother and my faces. She is a huge wine aficionado and I am of course a huge craft beer aficionado, so holding up a bottle of really bad wine next to really good beer and comparing them, both of our faces just took on an utterly horrified expression. Trust me, I would have had some fun at their expense, but mothers count as SWMBOs too.

Bottled: Nothing! D:
Planned: Maudite Dubbel-ish Belgian Thing; Dessert Stout; Dunkelweizen. Nom nom.

Quick Reply