Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In six years in the military I lived all over the US, including in dry counties (Texas), no alcohol sales on Sundays states (Georgia) and in states that sell liquor through state-run or state-approved monopolies (VA, and Montgomery county, MD). The best place I've ever lived for buying alcohol has been simultaneously the cheapest and most accessible, and also the one with the fewest restrictions on alcohol sales--California. In CA, you can walk into Safeway at 2AM on a Sunday and buy as much liquor/wine/beer as you want, no problems. Every grocery store sells beer, wine and liquor, as do most gas stations. And bargain stores like BevMo have cheaper prices than any other place I've seen, plus terrific selection. In VA, in contrast, you have to buy alcohol at the ABC, and a bottle of Glenlivet 12 yr. is something like $45, where you can get it at the drugstore in CA for $28 on sale!

I miss CA.

AZ is the same way...

I've always found the stupidity of dry counties interesting. In Texas' dry counties every major road into the county has a liquor store with a drive-thru right at the county line.You don't have drunks walking the street but you have lots of drunks driving--and sobriety checkpoints are illegal in Texas.

Ohio has some pretty stupid liquor laws too. They also have state run liquor agencies. If it isn't a state agency, the highest alcohol content a store can sell is 21% alcohol so they have these crappy knockoff brands of every liquor you can think of that are all 42 proof. Also, no beer with an ABV of over 12% can be sold anywhere in the state.

Next door in Indiana, liquor stores can't sell milk or cold soft drinks but can sell soft drinks at room temp.

Here in Pennsylvania, if you say "lager", it is assumed that you mean Yuengling. Walk up to a bartender and ask for a lager, and you automatically get a Yuengling Lager every time. I have heard people say, "I hate Budweiser, I only drink lager"

:smack:

It's because you can't hear the capitalization... "I only drink Lager"
:mug:

A locally owned restaurant in our area (Athens Ga) has a small but VERY good selection both on tap and bottled and their menu has three categories. There is only a $0.50 price difference and they list as: BEER - GOOD BEER - REALY GOOD BEER.

Is that Copper Creek? I remember seeing that, just cannot remember where...

Ohio has some pretty stupid liquor laws too. They also have state run liquor agencies. If it isn't a state agency, the highest alcohol content a store can sell is 21% alcohol so they have these crappy knockoff brands of every liquor you can think of that are all 42 proof. Also, no beer with an ABV of over 12% can be sold anywhere in the state.

Next door in Indiana, liquor stores can't sell milk or cold soft drinks but can sell soft drinks at room temp.

This makes me very sad. Moving to Cincinnati in January. How the heck am I supposed to get KBS?

In NC it's a public/private partnership. The state ABC board controls the liquor stores (ABC) stores, but they are franchised and run by private individuals.

When I lived in Ohio I was 40 minutes from Indiana on I-70. I used to routinely drive right across the border and buy a gallon of Everclear.

JordanThomas said:
This makes me very sad. Moving to Cincinnati in January. How the heck am I supposed to get KBS?

Thats where I am. Indiana and Kentucky are very close and don't have those restrictions. Plus The Party Source right across the river in Kentucky has an awesome bottle selection.

Wow KISS Brew you have a lot of bottled beer, that is how i was when i started brewing then i slowwed way down now i brew once a month just to keep me going.

I went out to dinner once and wanted a beer during happy hour. I went in and saw they hand domestics with no other disclaimers on what is in that "domestics" category, so I kept looking at their selection. Ahh yes I'll have a DBA (firestone, from Paso Robles, CA) about 100 miles from where I stand.

Well the bartender said that is a import and I explain, out of all the beers you serve here, that is the one that is produced closest to where I stand right now, so what do you consider all the others you have?

Basically I left , they didn't get my money.

The first time I brought some homebrew to my mom, she said "this won't make me go blind will it?":mad:

Also, she has seen my carboys in my spare bath tub and told her neighbor I make homebrew beer in my bathtub, her neighbor said "Ewwww"
I had to set her straight and told her not to say stuff like that as it gives a bad impression of HB. Lol

jerrodm said:
no alcohol sales on Sundays states (Georgia)

We just had legislation passed that home rule applies to alcohol sales. Each municipality had a referendum last year, 2012 is the year of beer, well on Sunday's any way in this city.

I was living in Augusta. Luckily, I was in the military and could always drive on to Ft. Gordon and get beer from the package store if I was in a jam. But I can't tell you how many times I got to the checkout counter at the store with a couple of six-packs, only to have the lady look at me like I was crazy and say, "You know it's a Sunday, right?" Then I'd facepalm, and go put the beer back in the cooler.

Hell, as hot as it gets in Augusta in the summer, they ought to give out free beer on Sundays. Maybe in return for lawn mowing. I know that's the only way I could get through my own way-too-large lawn at the time!

I went out to dinner once and wanted a beer during happy hour. I went in and saw they hand domestics with no other disclaimers on what is in that "domestics" category, so I kept looking at their selection. Ahh yes I'll have a DBA (firestone, from Paso Robles, CA) about 100 miles from where I stand.

Well the bartender said that is a import and I explain, out of all the beers you serve here, that is the one that is produced closest to where I stand right now, so what do you consider all the others you have?

Basically I left , they didn't get my money.

So did you walk out because they were going to charge more for it or because they called it an import and you simply won't tolerate abuses to the English language like that?

For a long time "import" actually referred to imported beer but in reality was how they communicated that they were going to charge more for it.

If they had said it's a "premium" beer would you have stayed and enjoyed the beer you ordered?

If I had been sitting at that bar I would be posting about a funny thing I overheard at a bar...This guy walks in and orders a micro-brew. The bartender tells him it's an import because they charge the import price on their micros. They guy argues with the bartender about where the beer is made and then storms out without having a beer.

Reminds me of the classic... "Is this legal?"

Got that one from my sister when I told her I was going to get into homebrewing. Led to an impromptu explanation of the difference between fermentation and distillation. :)

So did you walk out because they were going to charge more for it or because they called it an import and you simply won't tolerate abuses to the English language like that?

For a long time "import" actually referred to imported beer but in reality was how they communicated that they were going to charge more for it.

If they had said it's a "premium" beer would you have stayed and enjoyed the beer you ordered?

If I had been sitting at that bar I would be posting about a funny thing I overheard at a bar...This guy walks in and orders a micro-brew. The bartender tells him it's an import because they charge the import price on their micros. They guy argues with the bartender about where the beer is made and then storms out without having a beer.

Is it hard to type a menu that says "Import/Craft?"

Doesn't seem hard to avoid this situation.

Is it hard to type a menu that says "Import/Craft?"

Doesn't seem hard to avoid this situation.

Or you could just commit it to memory that that is how places that sell beer differentiate the prices of cheap beer and expensive beer. I don't understand why someone would walk out of an establishment because of something so trivial. Is it humorous yes but not an unforgivable sin that requires that kind of reaction. But if it that big of a deal to you to each their own I guess.

But craft brews can still be "domestic" so if they have a special for 2 for one domestics.... Well, you see the problem. They should say 2 for one bud lights, or come up with another name for the big 3, like BMC or something like that.

I would immediately order a beer at a bar that had the categories:
"Mass produced light lager" - BMC
"Mass produced beer" - guinness, bass, blue moon, negro modelo, etc.
"microbrews"
"local craft"

But that's all semantics, if the price is right (and the temp...wishful thinking), the bartender/owner can be as ignorant as he/she desires and I'll still drink a beer there.

Then just use grouping to price beer. How is that hard?

Class 1 (i.e. BMC)
Class 2 (i.e. most craft/import)
Class 3 (specialties/rarities)

Calling domestic beer "import" is just LAZY! And although some might consider it not a big deal, just sematics, or whatever, I loathe laziness. Frankly I think it insults the masses' ability to understand simple terminology.

Keep in mind, most bar owners and especially most bar tenders don't give half a crap about the distinction between "craft" beer and imported beer. They know that beer A, B and C is what 90% of their customers drink and what they sell cheap and that beers X, Y and Z get ordered a couple times a day and cost more. Getting our panties in a bunch over it is as silly as some Star Wars nerd getting upset with a kid at Target because he asked where the Star Wars animated series action figures were but the kid showed him where the Star Wars movie action figures were. Just pure silliness and an overestimated view of our own importance.

JoeyChopps said:
Yeah in Warner Robins ga we can buy beer and liquor on Sunday here.

I for one don't like the fact that Sunday sales was passed. I spent my whole adult life pre-planning on Saturday for drinking on Sunday. If I forgot then that was my fault and it only happened a few times. I feel that it made me a better person to learn to plan for the future. Up and coming drinkers will not have that learning experience.

But craft brews can still be "domestic" so if they have a special for 2 for one domestics.... Well, you see the problem. They should say 2 for one bud lights, or come up with another name for the big 3, like BMC or something like that.

I would immediately order a beer at a bar that had the categories:
"Mass produced light lager" - BMC
"Mass produced beer" - guinness, bass, blue moon, negro modelo, etc.
"microbrews"
"local craft"

But that's all semantics, if the price is right (and the temp...wishful thinking), the bartender/owner can be as ignorant as he/she desires and I'll still drink a beer there.

In Michigan you can't do a 2 for 1 special. That would imply they are giving you a free beer, which they can't do. It would have to be a 1/s off special.

Just a little bit of trivia.

In Massachusetts, happy hour is illegal. No free drinks, half price drinks, or coupons/ gift cards for drinks.

I have to agree here. Sure, the wording is funny and incorrect, and we might sniff at it since We Know Better, but why leave without having your beer? Didn't you miss it? Wasn't it calling to you plaintively from the bar as you walked out? I would have chuckled to myself as I drained my glass, then told the funny story when I got home...

I for one don't like the fact that Sunday sales was passed. I spent my whole adult life pre-planning on Saturday for drinking on Sunday. If I forgot then that was my fault and it only happened a few times. I feel that it made me a better person to learn to plan for the future. Up and coming drinkers will not have that learning experience.

You're right, of course--growing up in CA I never had to plan my purchases around the all-important Sunday-afternoon-beer-and-football. And when I lived in GA I paid for it, mostly with Sunday trips onto base to go to the package store, mumbling uncharitable unprintables about the Bible Belt all the way. Sorry if that offends folks, I'm no libertine, but I do get crotchety when I'm denied beer...

jerrodm said:
You're right, of course--growing up in CA I never had to plan my purchases around the all-important Sunday-afternoon-beer-and-football. And when I lived in GA I paid for it, mostly with Sunday trips onto base to go to the package store, mumbling uncharitable unprintables about the Bible Belt all the way. Sorry if that offends folks, I'm no libertine, but I do get crotchety when I'm denied beer...

Now even with Sunday sales it can only be sold after 12:00 in our area. My guess is so I can't get it before the people at church do.

"Guinness is a meal."

Maybe for a 5 year old?

sounds pretty accurate, I know I know more and more bars are just switching over to the term craft beer or something of the sorts that way it is more generic but it was basically the guys attitude that pissed me off, he had no interest or knowledge for that matter of anything about the beers let alone where they were made.

Overheard at the beer aisle in the grocery store. Man speaking to wife/gf:
Non-Alcoholic beer is really bad for you. They use bleach to remove the alcohol.

Overheard at the beer aisle in the grocery store. Man speaking to wife/gf:
Non-Alcoholic beer is really bad for you. They use bleach to remove the alcohol.

haha hes got a good point! However, I think hes getting decaffeinated coffee mixed with beer.

Back