Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #1001
JoeyChopps
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 278 Times on 188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergen69

The optimum temp for the water when brewing coffee is 195d to 200d...so Micky D's was doing what should be done.
I remember when taking an ethics class this all came up the FDA use to keep a recommended temp for serving coffee but soon after the accident they removed the temp from the reg. also considering consumer report says most home coffee pots are between 135-155f 190 is insane.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #1002
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newb

Reports I read said she spilled it in her own lap after her son pulled the car away from the window and parked the car for her to remove the lid and put cream and sugar in the cup herself...

Plus what he said
There's been more than accident with McDonalds and coffee spills seems like maybe they should have taken a hint.
Also I'm a horrible example of keeping a thread OT and ruining a topic. So sorry

Old 01-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #1003
vawinesnob
Recipes 

I actually studied this case in college. She won the law suit because McDonalds found they could use less coffee with hotter water. Profit was more important to them than public safety.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #1004
robanna
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
...the kid running the window had been reprimanded for not putting tops on drinks properly and spilling them into cars. The woman suffered third degree burns and disfigured/ burned vagina for the rest of her life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergen69 View Post
The optimum temp for the water when brewing coffee is 195d to 200d...so Micky D's was doing what should be done.
What the optimum temp for placing coffee on your vagina?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:18 AM   #1005
newb
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vawinesnob
I actually studied this case in college. She won the law suit because McDonalds found they could use less coffee with hotter water. Profit was more important to them than public safety.
Ahhh see now this sounds like good reason for her winning, ignoring public safety just for added profit, that IS a problem. But nah it's not just your fault chopps we are all contributing to the off topicness haha quick someone get us back on making fun of people who know nothing about beer that like to pretend to be experts!

Old 01-04-2013, 12:22 AM   #1006
JoeyChopps
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vawinesnob
Thanks for refreshing my memory on the rest of the details I also studied this in school in my ethic class but its been a few years ago since that class.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #1007
snaps10
Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I once spilled a whole beer in my lap. I was going to sue myself for gross misconduct, but instead I cut my losses by lapping up what I could off the chair.

Just because I know someone will ask, there was no disfiguring of my nether regions.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #1008
bergy
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyChopps View Post
Thanks for refreshing my memory on the rest of the details I also studied this in school in my ethic class but its been a few years ago since that class.
There is also the fact that phsyics with water is extremely odd (for example water is the only known substance where its solid form floats on its liquid form). In regards to the case, only 2-3 degrees separates "annoyingly hot" and "will cause disfiguring burns" because the energy content of the heated substance suddenly switches from a linear scale to a logorithmic scale. And if I recall correctly that temperature point is in the same area as what we deal with when mashing our grains.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #1009
LTownLiquorPig
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 196

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps10 View Post
I once spilled a whole beer in my lap. I was going to sue myself for gross misconduct, but instead I cut my losses by lapping up what I could off the chair.

Just because I know someone will ask, there was no disfiguring of my nether regions.
We call that alcohol abuse 'round these parts. No spilling.

Don't even break it out if you ain't gonna share.

turkeydinner Likes This 
Old 01-04-2013, 12:45 AM   #1010
bzwyatt
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts

Water is one of the few substances that expands at reduced temperatures, so density decreases and ice floats. I'm not a chemist, but I guess it must be the molecular structure - a big atom with two little ones attached, also the best solvent around - that makes it grow, not shrink, when it cools down.

Hmm... funny things about beer, without being a jackass... I was at the store, picked up a case of Guinness. The handle on the box ripped and the box fell out of my hand, a couple bottles broke and the precious liquid began to spread on the floor around the box.
I told the cashier what happened, and said 'I hate when I break beer!' and she said, 'Yeah, it is such a waste'. She didn't really look like a 'beer drinker', but I could tell she understood.

Quick Reply