Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Funny things you've overheard about beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #1
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Funny things you've overheard about beer

I know I've seen similar threads on here but I couldn't find any so I figured I'd start a new one.

I just went to Epic Brewing here in Salt Lake City to grab a sandwich in their tapless tap room (Utah thing). There were a couple of homebrewers that were asking questions of the guy behind the counter...stuff like how to increase the alcohol level in homebrew and such. Then one says to the other, "Dude, don't brew a Corona...brew something more exotic...like a Dos Equis or a Negro Modello."

I know everyone sounds like a douche when they start off a sentence with "not to be a douche..." Screw it...so not to be a douche, but I just about laughed out loud when he referred to Dos Equis and Negro Modello as exotic. I didn't actually laugh out loud, so hopefully I'm only half a douche at most.

Ok, so anyone else overheard funny comments like this?

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

While I do agree that it's funny, at one point in my beer life I preferred Bud Light over Coors Light because "it has so much more flavor". We have to start somewhere, and craft brews arent pushed to the masses, especially in Utah i'd imagine (not a poke, but a serious statement based on what i've heard about the alcohol laws there - plus, you just said tapless tap room ).

Old 08-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
tnvol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDay View Post
While I do agree that it's funny, at one point in my beer life I preferred Bud Light over Coors Light because "it has so much more flavor". We have to start somewhere, and craft brews arent pushed to the masses, especially in Utah i'd imagine (not a poke, but a serious statement based on what i've heard about the alcohol laws there - plus, you just said tapless tap room ).
Very true.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
lebucheron
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I don't always drink exotic beer, but when I do I drink Dos Equis, but then again, I am the most interesting man in the world.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #5
microbusbrewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyDay View Post
It's true, when I first started brewing I was way into Mexican lagers, like Pacifico...and Modello Negro. But I don't know that even back then I would have described them as "exotic".

BTW, despite the stereotypes and screwy liquor laws, Utah breweries are putting out some pretty awesome craft brew. The reason for the tapless tap room is we can buy any strength brew in a bottle, but only < 3.2%ABW/4%ABV on tap. All of Epic's brews are > 4%ABV, hence the tapless tap room. So in order to get Epic on tap, I'd have to go outside of Utah. And that's probably another candidate for funny things you've heard about beer.

Last edited by microbusbrewery; 08-10-2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: typo

Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
RainyDay
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by microbusbrewery View Post
BTW, despite the stereotypes and screwy liquor laws, Utah breweries are putting out some pretty awesome craft brew. The reason for the tapless tap room is we can buy any strength brew in a bottle, but only < 3.2%ABW/4%ABV on tap. All of Epic's brews are > 4%ABV, hence the tapless tap room. So in order to get Epic on tap, I'd have to go outside of Utah. And that's probably another candidate for funny things you've heard about beer.
Good to know, thanks for clarifying that for me. I knew it was something wonky. At least you can still buy the good stuff in a bottle.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1067 Times on 796 Posts
Likes Given: 523

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebucheron View Post
I don't always drink exotic beer, but when I do I drink Dos Equis, but then again, I am the most interesting man in the world.
... And because I am the most interesting man in the world, Dos Equis gets more interesting by proxy and tastes more like a craft brew
Old 08-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
RCCOLA
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 57

My Bud Light swilling neighbor believes "Light" refers to the color and anything that doesn't say that is a "dark" beer.

Furthermore, any beer with hop character is "skunky"

So, SNPA is a "skunky dark beer"

Old 08-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #9
stubbornman
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I remember when I thought Killians Red was the **** and I had moved "beyond" Bud Ice... I try to keep that in mind when I hear my inner beer snob coming out.

People Like This 
Old 08-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
KISS Brew
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 11

"Guinness is a meal."

Maybe for a 5 year old?

Bottled:
Hoptoberfest IPA, Oktoberfest Ale, Blonde Ale, Scottish Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Edwort's Apfelwein, Janet's Brown Ale, Irish Red Ale, Strawberry Wheat, ESB, Belgian Pale Ale

KISS Brew Homebrewing Blog

Most recent post: Beyond the Pale Ale Recipe
People Like This 

Quick Reply