Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Beer Discussion (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/)
-   -   Funny things you've overheard about beer (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/funny-things-youve-overheard-about-beer-346883/)

microbusbrewery 08-10-2012 07:31 PM

Funny things you've overheard about beer
 
I know I've seen similar threads on here but I couldn't find any so I figured I'd start a new one.

I just went to Epic Brewing here in Salt Lake City to grab a sandwich in their tapless tap room (Utah thing). There were a couple of homebrewers that were asking questions of the guy behind the counter...stuff like how to increase the alcohol level in homebrew and such. Then one says to the other, "Dude, don't brew a Corona...brew something more exotic...like a Dos Equis or a Negro Modello."

I know everyone sounds like a douche when they start off a sentence with "not to be a douche..." Screw it...so not to be a douche, but I just about laughed out loud when he referred to Dos Equis and Negro Modello as exotic. I didn't actually laugh out loud, so hopefully I'm only half a douche at most.

Ok, so anyone else overheard funny comments like this?

RainyDay 08-10-2012 09:01 PM

While I do agree that it's funny, at one point in my beer life I preferred Bud Light over Coors Light because "it has so much more flavor". We have to start somewhere, and craft brews arent pushed to the masses, especially in Utah i'd imagine (not a poke, but a serious statement based on what i've heard about the alcohol laws there - plus, you just said tapless tap room :) ).

tnvol 08-10-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainyDay (Post 4321417)
While I do agree that it's funny, at one point in my beer life I preferred Bud Light over Coors Light because "it has so much more flavor". We have to start somewhere, and craft brews arent pushed to the masses, especially in Utah i'd imagine (not a poke, but a serious statement based on what i've heard about the alcohol laws there - plus, you just said tapless tap room :) ).

Very true.

lebucheron 08-10-2012 09:07 PM

I don't always drink exotic beer, but when I do I drink Dos Equis, but then again, I am the most interesting man in the world.

microbusbrewery 08-10-2012 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainyDay (Post 4321417)
While I do agree that it's funny, at one point in my beer life I preferred Bud Light over Coors Light because "it has so much more flavor". We have to start somewhere, and craft brews arent pushed to the masses, especially in Utah i'd imagine (not a poke, but a serious statement based on what i've heard about the alcohol laws there - plus, you just said tapless tap room :) ).

It's true, when I first started brewing I was way into Mexican lagers, like Pacifico...and Modello Negro. But I don't know that even back then I would have described them as "exotic".

BTW, despite the stereotypes and screwy liquor laws, Utah breweries are putting out some pretty awesome craft brew. The reason for the tapless tap room is we can buy any strength brew in a bottle, but only < 3.2%ABW/4%ABV on tap. All of Epic's brews are > 4%ABV, hence the tapless tap room. So in order to get Epic on tap, I'd have to go outside of Utah. And that's probably another candidate for funny things you've heard about beer.

RainyDay 08-10-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by microbusbrewery (Post 4321443)
BTW, despite the stereotypes and screwy liquor laws, Utah breweries are putting out some pretty awesome craft brew. The reason for the tapless tap room is we can buy any strength brew in a bottle, but only < 3.2%ABW/4%ABV on tap. All of Epic's brews are > 4%ABV, hence the tapless tap room. So in order to get Epic on tap, I'd have to go outside of Utah. And that's probably another candidate for funny things you've heard about beer.

Good to know, thanks for clarifying that for me. I knew it was something wonky. At least you can still buy the good stuff in a bottle.

DrunkleJon 08-13-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lebucheron (Post 4321429)
I don't always drink exotic beer, but when I do I drink Dos Equis, but then again, I am the most interesting man in the world.

... And because I am the most interesting man in the world, Dos Equis gets more interesting by proxy and tastes more like a craft brew

RCCOLA 08-13-2012 03:51 PM

My Bud Light swilling neighbor believes "Light" refers to the color and anything that doesn't say that is a "dark" beer.

Furthermore, any beer with hop character is "skunky"

So, SNPA is a "skunky dark beer"

stubbornman 08-13-2012 04:06 PM

I remember when I thought Killians Red was the **** and I had moved "beyond" Bud Ice... I try to keep that in mind when I hear my inner beer snob coming out.



:drunk:

KISS Brew 08-13-2012 04:16 PM

"Guinness is a meal."

Maybe for a 5 year old?


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:09 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.